Presidential Debates

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Presidential Debates

Post by Turdacious »

Whether you watch(ed) them live, or off replay, discuss.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Re: Presidential Debates

Post by Turdacious »

1st Debate:
Best hair: Biden
Best spray tan: Biden
Best dentures: Biden
Best pocket square: Trump (who wears a pocket square in 2020?)
Most pitied: Chris Wallace
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Who won? I was still at work and now I’m lifting.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Luke

Post by Luke »

All I caught was Trump lashing Biden for not mentioning cops in Portland because his radical left support would dissipate. I thought it was pretty spot on.

Overall, hasn't made me more relaxed about the future though.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Not good....it was basically a Looney Tunes “RABBIT SEASON/DUCK SEASON” bit for an hour and a half.

Trump’s jab about Biden hosting smaller events in the Covid era bc no one will show up to his rallies got a chuckle from me.

Biden’s refusal to decry the far left is concerning, and I assume he will capitulate to them if elected.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

America: "We have the most vibrant and well functioning democracy in the world".
Rest of world: "Show us how it's done".
America:

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It'd have been better if they were naked
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Proud Boys shout out was probably unwise.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:55 pm The Proud Boys shout out was probably unwise.
Why? What did he say and why is it bad?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:55 pm The Proud Boys shout out was probably unwise.
I wonder what the response would have been if old joe had given a nice shout out to antifa. Something like "antifa, be aware, be ready."

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 pm
Why? What did he say and why is it bad?
He was asked to condemn the white supremacist movement. He responded with "Proud Boys. Stand back and stand by." I trust that any sentient being with a shred of hope and love for this country can understand why that's bad, but happy to elaborate as needed.

We have gone from salting the crops on his retreat to truly trying to burn the whole thing down. I normally wouldn't vote for Biden, but for fuck's sake. This situation is insane.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

But the Proud Boys aren't supposed to be white supremacist, right? And they just had a demonstration in Portland that was totally peaceful. Was that it?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Okay, what gives. This is Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys.

Are folks seriously asserting that this is a White supremacist organization?

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

White Supremacy is definitionally the opposition to the ethnic cleansing and political disenfranchisement of whites via immigration and HR depts.

So, yes they are White Supremacists.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

My bad, I have a hard time keeping up with the ever advancing creep of White SupremacyTM.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:30 pm But the Proud Boys aren't supposed to be white supremacist, right? And they just had a demonstration in Portland that was totally peaceful. Was that it?
Trump was asked pointedly and specifically about white supremacists, and he cited Proud Boys in response. Some membership levels have violence requirements. Getting into the philosophical differences of different groups who chant "Jews will not replace us" is a way to argue, I guess, but I think that road leads to President Joe.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

While the question of who won Tuesday's presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden lies in the court of public opinion, many Spanish-speaking viewers of Telemundo gave their support to Trump in a poll conducted on Twitter.

Both candidates have campaigned heavily in the Latino community. Trump's campaign has attempted to reel in Latino supporters with his Latinos for Trump initiative. Biden made an appearance at a September Hispanic Heritage Month celebration in Florida. Work by the Trump campaign to attract Latino voters may be paying off.

In a poll conducted after the debate, 66 percent of participants told Telemundo they believed Trump won the debate. Only 34 percent of poll participants thought Biden made a better showing in Tuesday's debate.
https://www.newsweek.com/66-percent-spa ... te-1535176
I have no idea what this will mean in the general election, but it's certainly not consistent with the media narrative.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

I didn't read the specific methodology, but the Telemundo poll was a Twitter poll which can be worked by motivated partisans. The election data folks generally consider these unscientific.

The four polls out as of this morning showed a small or robust Biden win.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:22 am White Supremacy is definitionally the opposition to the ethnic cleansing and political disenfranchisement of whites via immigration and HR depts.

So, yes they are White Supremacists.
Agreed, "whiteness" is the disease and Critical Race Theory is the bitter medicine (but not a cure because whiteness is incurable). You can be blacker than the blackest Congolese and be part of the white supremacist system. Clarence Thomas exemplifies Black whiteness to the Woke

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

newguy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:27 pm
I wonder what the response would have been if old joe had given a nice shout out to antifa. Something like "antifa, be aware, be ready."
That would be impossible to do since he defined Antifa as "an idea, not and organization".

Trump royally fucked that part of the debate. Of all the shit in that shitshow, that was the stickiest shit and he stuck it on himself.

I am not a Proud Boy and do not support the Proud Boys and I feel a little guilty schadenfreude when they kick some Antifa ass. So I got curious and went to their website tenets page.

The tenets (copied from their page) are below. If they're white supremacists, they're doing a bad job explaining their values to potential members.
Core Values Of The Proud Boys

Minimal Government
Maximum Freedom
Anti-Political Correctness
Anti-Drug War
Closed Borders
Anti-Racial Guilt
Anti-Racism
Pro-Free Speech (1st Amendment)
Pro-Gun Rights (2nd Amendment)
Glorifying the Entrepreneur
Venerating the Housewife
Reinstating a Spirit of Western Chauvinism

Though these are our central tenets, all that is required to become a Proud Boy is that a man declare he is “a Western chauvinist who refuses to apologize for creating the modern world.” We do not discriminate based upon race or sexual orientation/preference. We are not an “ism”, “ist”, or “phobic” that fits the Left’s narrative. We truly believe that the West Is The Best and welcome those who believe in the same tenets as us.
Compared to BLM tenets, these look pretty good. BTW, BLM had to walk back their desire to destroy the nuclear family because it was upsetting their corporate donors.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Oh I get the Proud Boys. I don't remember who it was, but someone who used to post here regularly back in the day would often talk about how he wasn't a racist but a western chauvinist. (Those were not his exact words.)

Look, I don't give a shit about the proud boys. Have guns, venerate the housewife, push for closed borders. How you spend your weekend is up to you.

We also both know that telling the proud boys to "stand back and stand by" is either really fucking weird, or from another point of view not weird at all.

Back when he was first doing this is 2020, there was a lot of weird nazi references and people talked about how it was tongue in cheek or just mistakes.

Now you've got this fucker whose whole reelection strategy seems to be to convince everyone that the election is being rigged by the democrats and he's telling these armed paramilitary groups to stand back and stand by.

Complete lunacy.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

newguy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 pm Oh I get the Proud Boys. I don't remember who it was, but someone who used to post here regularly back in the day would often talk about how he wasn't a racist but a western chauvinist. (Those were not his exact words.)

Look, I don't give a shit about the proud boys. Have guns, venerate the housewife, push for closed borders. How you spend your weekend is up to you.

We also both know that telling the proud boys to "stand back and stand by" is either really fucking weird, or from another point of view not weird at all.

Back when he was first doing this is 2020, there was a lot of weird nazi references and people talked about how it was tongue in cheek or just mistakes.

Now you've got this fucker whose whole reelection strategy seems to be to convince everyone that the election is being rigged by the democrats and he's telling these armed paramilitary groups to stand back and stand by.

Complete lunacy.
Trump is a weirdo, it's undeniable. He stuck his own foot in his mouth in the debate and has to live with the consequences. Joe seems to be getting a complete pass for denying that Antifa is even a group.

Trump said a moderately violent group should "step back and stand by" while Joe said a very violent group that we've watched burn our country all summer is just an "idea" and doesn't exist. Both of them are quietly giving a soft green light to such groups. That should be the story if we're to delay the great unraveling.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:30 pm
newguy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 pm Oh I get the Proud Boys. I don't remember who it was, but someone who used to post here regularly back in the day would often talk about how he wasn't a racist but a western chauvinist. (Those were not his exact words.)

Complete lunacy.
Trump is a weirdo, it's undeniable. He stuck his own foot in his mouth in the debate and has to live with the consequences. Joe seems to be getting a complete pass for denying that Antifa is even a group.
FBI director says antifa is an ideology, not an organization

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 4b65f2362e
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

For the love of god shut up you midwit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:59 pm Look at me