Loma vs Lopez is on ESPN for free tonight

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Loma vs Lopez is on ESPN for free tonight

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

10pm ET

Loma vs Lopez

Impossibly slick technician vs bruiser with under rated old school defense.

Looks like the fight of the year on paper.

I think Loma solves him by the 5th and takes him out but probably go the distance.

I bet under 11 rds at +150

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Loma vs Lopez is on ESPN for free tonight

Post by Fat Cat »

How much did you lose?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

$100 loma you bastard you left it a round too long

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother »

Those cards were atrocious. Julie Lederman needs to be beaten with a hammer. I had it a draw. I wouldn't be mad with 115/113 in favor of Lopez, because Loma was a dick for not throwing anything.

Thankfully, no money was lost because I was thinking Loma by MD after a hard fought battle.
There's also talk that there was no rematch clause in the contract. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it would be the height of stupidity if not.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I'm still unpacking this one. I can't tell if Lopez is just THAT damn good, or if Loma has lost a step because of age and relatively slower activity. Maybe both. He just didn't look like the guy that made Nicholas Walters (a fucking killer) quit on the stool. Lopez held him off for the first five rounds with little more than attitude, a jab, and some decent long range body shots. Loma looked like shit trying to get things started in the 8th. Look, like any pro he has the power to knock people down, but if Loma has a chink in his armor it's the fact that he really doesn't have the kind of knock you dead power that the greats have. He just wasn't going to force that stoppage in the final rounds like he tried...he's not that fucking guy...he's just not.

If anything, this fight settled the dispute as to who is the best PFP fighter in the world. It's Crawford, it's been Crawford for at least the last five years, and it may be Crawford for five more years. So, Joe Tessitore can spit Loma's nuts and Bob Arum's talking points out of his fucking mouth. He ain't the man. Crawford is the man.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Lopez had excellent footwork. He stopped Loma from stepping around him. I only noticed one time Loma got around to take an angle. And he was just too big and strong and wanted it more and was willing to risk more. Loma hurt him late but Lopez wouldn't quit.

Plus, Lopez was respecting Loma's power even into the later rounds. He was very careful.

And yeah, Crawford is p4p.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm I'm still unpacking this one. I can't tell if Lopez is just THAT damn good, or if Loma has lost a step because of age and relatively slower activity. Maybe both. He just didn't look like the guy that made Nicholas Walters (a fucking killer) quit on the stool. Lopez held him off for the first five rounds with little more than attitude, a jab, and some decent long range body shots. Loma looked like shit trying to get things started in the 8th. Look, like any pro he has the power to knock people down, but if Loma has a chink in his armor it's the fact that he really doesn't have the kind of knock you dead power that the greats have. He just wasn't going to force that stoppage in the final rounds like he tried...he's not that fucking guy...he's just not.

If anything, this fight settled the dispute as to who is the best PFP fighter in the world. It's Crawford, it's been Crawford for at least the last five years, and it may be Crawford for five more years. So, Joe Tessitore can spit Loma's nuts and Bob Arum's talking points out of his fucking mouth. He ain't the man. Crawford is the man.
Nicholas Walters was a natural featherweight, while Lopez may have been headed to 140 if the Loma fight didn't come together. Loma will still run everyone over at 130 and below, but he's not the same guy at 135.

I mean, we've got a guy in his early 20's who's still filling out at 135 and will probably end his career at welterweight vs a guy in his early 30's who had something like 400 amateur fights, debuted at 126 and had to make weight class jumps to find challenges.

There wasn't a rematch clause, and Loma also had surgery on his shoulder yesterday. Or was told he needed it, according to his manager.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Great points...the weight was definitely an issue.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Size never has an off day.

Still definitely believe he's the more skilled. I don't think anyone compares skill and talent wise.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman