On behalf of Sangoma - who is going to win the election for US President?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Who do you think is going to win the US Presidential election this year?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Biden/Harris - Democrat
29%
Trump/Pence - Republican
57%
Jorgensen/Cohen - Libertarian
7%
Hawkins/Walker - Green Party
7%

Total votes: 14

Topic author
Gene
Sergeant Commanding

On behalf of Sangoma - who is going to win the election for US President?

Post by Gene »

On Sangoma's behalf. Who will win the election for US President? To run for thirty days.
Don't like yourself too much.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: On behalf of Sangoma - who is going to win the election for US President?

Post by Sangoma »

My predictions about almost anything are usually wrong. My feeling is Trump is going to get it. Which means he is likely to lose.

As the side note, I find the outrage with Trump fascinating. From the first day in office whatever he said or did was interpreted as bad by the majority of the media. I think the real reason for it is that he does not belong to the "club', the crowd that has been in politics for generations, the Ivi league boys (and occasional girls), and sneaked his way in using the system. Even his election campaign was considerably cheaper than Clinton's or Obama's years earlier.

In any case, the drama is mildly entertaining.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

my bet on Trump :)

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Sangoma wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:28 pm My predictions about almost anything are usually wrong. My feeling is Trump is going to get it. Which means he is likely to lose.

As the side note, I find the outrage with Trump fascinating. From the first day in office whatever he said or did was interpreted as bad by the majority of the media. I think the real reason for it is that he does not belong to the "club', the crowd that has been in politics for generations, the Ivi league boys (and occasional girls), and sneaked his way in using the system. Even his election campaign was considerably cheaper than Clinton's or Obama's years earlier.

In any case, the drama is mildly entertaining.
That he is the barbarian in the palace is part of the reason the DC establishment despises him.

2 weeks ago I thought Biden would win by a decent margin but the vibe in the country has changed in the last few days. Trumpistas are strutting and Bidenites are very nervous.

If Trump wins by a commanding margin the American left and its corporate media wing will melt. Violence, of course, will ensue.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

E678EFC2-ED27-4AF3-AA17-9736B6C77AD6.jpeg
E678EFC2-ED27-4AF3-AA17-9736B6C77AD6.jpeg (257.71 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Trump +340 EC

No jinx knock on wood

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Trump can come back but would lose if counting of votes stopped now.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:56 pm Trump can come back but would lose if counting of votes stopped now.
Looking at how razor thin many of the states are is kind of unbelievable. And, some obscure 3rd party candidate in one state could literally be responsible for who does and doesn't win the presidency.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

What really surprised me is the dem lack of success in the
House.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I must say, this election is entertaining. Last one was fun - Hilary being the sure thing and then Trump turning it around. But this one is the real TV drama.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

No love for Kanye?
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Schlegel wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm What really surprised me is the dem lack of success in the
House.
They focused all their tampering on the White House vote.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 pm
Schlegel wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm What really surprised me is the dem lack of success in the
House.
They focused all their tampering on the White House vote.
No Blue Wave, no Mandate of Heaven.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:30 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:56 pm Trump can come back but would lose if counting of votes stopped now.
Looking at how razor thin many of the states are is kind of unbelievable. And, some obscure 3rd party candidate in one state could literally be responsible for who does and doesn't win the presidency.
Part of this is the sequence of vote-counting. If PA/MI/etc. were allowed to start counting mail in ballots sooner, election night would have been a lot less ambiguous.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 pm
DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:30 pm
Part of this is the sequence of vote-counting. If PA/MI/etc. were allowed to start counting mail in ballots sooner, election night would have been a lot less ambiguous.
It's better this way...an excruciating yet entertaining slow death.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Two of my grandparents lived in Illinois but are buried in wisconsin. I wonder which state they voted in this year.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 pm Part of this is the sequence of vote-counting. If PA/MI/etc. were allowed to start counting mail in ballots sooner, election night would have been a lot less ambiguous.
Regardless of where we might disagree, I am totally on board with this. I don't mind states having latitude on how they conduct their elections, but there should be some basic federal standards that need to be met, including a definitive count on Election Day. This is not the 19th century and ballots don't travel by horse and carriage anymore.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Yeah, I voted more two weeks prior to Election Day here in PA, yet I was in the pool of votes that weren’t counted until *after* Election Day, contributing to this slow burn.

But the fact is, voting is a state thing. The presidency is the only thing we all vote for at the federal level, everything else is state or more local. Even then, not really, due to the whole electoral college thing. Different methods too, normal winner take all, ranked choice, splitting out the electoral votes (Nebraska and Maine). And they don’t owe us a tabulation on election night.

Bush -v- Gore didn’t get resolved until 12 December. In this case, the Fat Lady is clearing her throat already.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:08 am Yeah, I voted more two weeks prior to Election Day here in PA, yet I was in the pool of votes that weren’t counted until *after* Election Day, contributing to this slow burn.

But the fact is, voting is a state thing. The presidency is the only thing we all vote for at the federal level, everything else is state or more local. Even then, not really, due to the whole electoral college thing. Different methods too, normal winner take all, ranked choice, splitting out the electoral votes (Nebraska and Maine). And they don’t owe us a tabulation on election night.

Bush -v- Gore didn’t get resolved until 12 December. In this case, the Fat Lady is clearing her throat already.
All of the above is granted, but my point stands. The current situation does no one any justice. What's the old saw about justice delayed? Having a national voter ID and a few simple national standard for state reporting would be to everyone's benefit.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Put this nigga on a plane to Nevada right now.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 pm Part of this is the sequence of vote-counting. If PA/MI/etc. were allowed to start counting mail in ballots sooner, election night would have been a lot less ambiguous.
Regardless of where we might disagree, I am totally on board with this. I don't mind states having latitude on how they conduct their elections, but there should be some basic federal standards that need to be met, including a definitive count on Election Day. This is not the 19th century and ballots don't travel by horse and carriage anymore.
If that’s the case it should be paid for with federal money. They’re not gonna unclench.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:41 am
nafod wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:08 am Yeah, I voted more two weeks prior to Election Day here in PA, yet I was in the pool of votes that weren’t counted until *after* Election Day, contributing to this slow burn.

All of the above is granted, but my point stands. The current situation does no one any justice. What's the old saw about justice delayed? Having a national voter ID and a few simple national standard for state reporting would be to everyone's benefit.
We should chuck the electoral college. We can still give the small states extra influence, no biggie. But this requires a Constitutional amendment.

One nice thing about the current method is that you have one million different systems to hack or wire if you are a bad guy.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 am

We should chuck the electoral college. We can still give the small states extra influence, no biggie. But this requires a Constitutional amendment.

One nice thing about the current method is that you have one million different systems to hack or wire if you are a bad guy.
Look at how close this election is. Setting aside the dubious wisdom of your proposal, there's not going to be any amendment to the Constitution any time soon.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

House.
The Dems underperformed at every level. Republicans defended something like 23 seats in the Senate and are likely to hold the majority there and this morning were within striking distance in the House. I'm limiting my news intake, so that may no longer be the case, but for both chambers to be in play for Republicans is mind boggling.

Down ballot, they didn't flip a single state legislature.

Even at the presidential level, Biden (or any warm body) should have blown the doors off of an historically unpopular president hamstrung by a public health crisis, yet here we are.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:49 am
nafod wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 am

Look at how close this election is. Setting aside the dubious wisdom of your proposal, there's not going to be any amendment to the Constitution any time soon.
I agree we aren't going to see an amendment. Since that is what it would take to correct the current system, we'll have to muddle along as-is. It takes time to count votes.

If the states just switched from winner take all electoral votes to some sort of apportionment scheme, we'd be done already.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

So PA has gone blue, making this a done deal. GA too, but that is razor thin.

I think for the sake of the country it is important that Fox News makes the call. Hope they go first.