Pride never die... Died

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Pride never die... Died

Post by baffled »

Heard shogun tapped to strikes. Pretty sure pride Pride just died and now I'm sad
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Pride never die... Died

Post by nafod »

Is this a secret signal for Russian deep plant spies to activate Plan Shogun?
Don’t believe everything you think.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I knew he was a shot fighter when I saw his wife on one of the countdown shows many years ago. Who a guy marries tells you a lot about who he is.But I repeat my assertion that there's no difference between tapping due to a choke or something, and tapping from strikes. It's the same thing, a guy admitting he lost and trying to save himself from further damage. I think the no tapping from strikes thing is an arbitrary distinction invented by fighters to save their egos: yeah, I got run over, but at least I didn't tap from strikes like that guy last week, what a bitch.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shogun has been old for a long time. That he managed to contend, let alone actually win a belt with knees as bad as his is a testament to him as a fighter.

Tapping is tapping, and it's smart in most cases. The real issue is Paul Craig is a guy Shogun would have sent to the hospital at one point.

Age gets 'em all.
- Buck Brannaman

motherjuggs&speed

Agree 100% @ tapping being smart most often, and many times the corner should have stopped the fight.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Nothing wrong with tapping if you know you've lost, what's the point of letting somebody beat on you? Anyway, Shogun hasn't been relevant in 10+ years and is just collecting a check at this point.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Smartest tap I can remember was Barnett tapping to, I think, Cro Cop in the Price open weight tourney in maybe 2008? He took a shot to the eye and even said that he didn't know where Mirko was and that situation was too dangerous to try to ride out.

Re: Shogun

Bummed, but not surprised that he's one of a long line of fighters that basically become fodder for younger fighters. Hell, Wand stated he has symptoms of CTE and still wanted a fight within the last year.

Shogun was my favorite fighter from the Pride era. The violence and style was so fun to watch. Wasting Rampage was maybe by favorite moment of that time period.
- Buck Brannaman

motherjuggs&speed

The eyepoke from CC looked intentional. It was at Final Conflict 2006.

I'm always sad to see a legend go out like Rua. This piece by Josh Wilker came to mind --

https://cardboardgods.net/category/team ... fred-lynn/