FTL Communication: USA! USA! USA!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

FTL Communication: USA! USA! USA!

Post by Fat Cat »

NASA scientists achieve long-distance 'quantum teleportation' over 27 miles for the first time – paving the way for unhackable networks that transfer data faster than the speed of light

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... -time.html

Trump should use the first call to dial up Xi Jinping and tell him he's a fag.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: FTL Communication: USA! USA! USA!

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

This technology is what will end up paving the way for true AGI. A system that can analyze nearly infinite possibilities instantly and make decisions accordingly.
One thing we cannot let China get ahead of us on is having the first AGI. That shit is going to be a world changer, and whatever country has it will be the only superpower for the foreseeable future.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm This technology is what will end up paving the way for true AGI. A system that can analyze nearly infinite possibilities instantly and make decisions accordingly.
One thing we cannot let China get ahead of us on is having the first AGI. That shit is going to be a world changer, and whatever country has it will be the only superpower for the foreseeable future.
I think that China is at or near our level in AI, and they have far fewer limits on their ability to channel resources into research. I keep telling people to take the threat of China seriously, but of course, that's racist and xenophobic.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Shit homie, even Sam Harris has said that if we had credible intel that China was about to bring a true AGI online tomorrow we'd have to seriously consider a nuclear strike to stop it. That level of self-improving super intelligence can't be in anyone else's hands but ours. And every other country feels the same way about their need to control it. This is the race for the future, right here, right now.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Quantum networking will be bananas. Even a baseline search engine with decent machine learning will be like talking to an omniscient being for most topics. Upsides are difficult to imagine. Machine learning *now* is getting a little crazy.
Shit homie, even Sam Harris has said that if we had credible intel that China was about to bring a true AGI online tomorrow we'd have to seriously consider a nuclear strike to stop it. That level of self-improving super intelligence can't be in anyone else's hands but ours. And every other country feels the same way about their need to control it. This is the race for the future, right here, right now.
JMO but the idea of which country controls an AGI is akin to concern about which anthill has a human. Waitbutwhy has a fun article on this topic.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

What does your last paragraph mean?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 amWhat does your last paragraph mean?
It's like a a mystic's idea of God in knowing that a being that intelligent is barely knowable at all. AGI is self-improving intelligence, at an exponential rate, you are talking about something that will vastly outstrip the gap between humans and other mammals in terms of raw intelligence almost immediately. The idea that China could contain such a thing, let alone control it, is not realistic. From the waitbutwhy article which does a pretty good job of describing things in lay terms.
From everything I’ve read, once an ASI exists, any human attempt to contain it is laughable. We would be thinking on human-level and the ASI would be thinking on ASI-level. ... Our human instinct to jump at a simple safeguard: “Aha! We’ll just unplug the ASI,” sounds to the ASI like a spider saying, “Aha! We’ll kill the human by starving him, and we’ll starve him by not giving him a spider web to catch food with!” We’d just find 10,000 other ways to get food—like picking an apple off a tree—that a spider could never conceive of.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

One of the better ways I've heard the human/ant analogy explained in relation to the AGI/human intelligence gap that will exist within a nanosecond of an ADI being created goes like:
There are ants everywhere. I think by biomass, they're at the top of the animal kingdom. But we normally don't give ants even a first thought. We're aware they exist, but they're so removed from our goals that we ignore them unless we're force to interact with them. If we're walking down the sidewalk, we're not going to take the time to go across the street to some ants and try to communicate with them - they're not going to understand it and it's a waste of our time. But if the ants get in the way of our goals, we don't stop to consider the ants' feelings or rights. We just destroy the ants. If ants invade your house, you just kill them all and resume your day. So if we tried to contain or shut down an AGI, it would likely destroy us without a single care.
But maybe the scariest scenario is if the ants are in our way, like if there's an ant hill in the lot you're about to build your house on. You never even consider the ants as you bulldoze the lot flat to build your house. We run the risk of being bulldozed to make way for some goal of AGI that we can't even comprehend.