This website is unusable

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: This website is unusable

Post by baffled »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:27 pm
Bram wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm Well, Benny at least thinks it's Flynn or some other government culprit at the beginning of that thread, I'm not into Q enough to read more than a few posts in there.

I'm going with Q is an internet troll.

But yeah this website goes down all the time, I'm just used to it I suppose.
Ya but benny was no more loopy than the rest of us, and he makes for good conversation and some very solid insults.
Benny was fun line rant, but without clogging the forum constantly. He's missed.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I try to contribute as much as I can, but I don't have much to offer on the stremph training front since I'm a willowy enduro type.
I enjoy the current events and politics, but there's only so much of that I can take before I get sent into a legit depression (which I fight constantly anyway).
We need to get enough people back here on the regular that it's back to the constant ball busting that it used to be.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

The fact that some people contribute more than others financially to keep this place going is not really an issue. If you can, do it, if not, enjoy it. What troubles me is that there are fewer and fewer contributing voices, and the poor reliability of the site exacerbates it.

As far as contributing content, we can talk about anything we want because it's one of the very last un-moderated places on the Interwebbing. By all means, let's have training conversations about endurance training, biking, paddling, shooting, etc. I find it all interesting, and I am sure it would increase our base of participants.

If we want this place to succeed, as it did in the past, we all have to contribute what we can. Without places like this it's a goddamn wasteland of reddit and FB-tier mongishness.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux »

I will see what can be done tomorrow about a few different things regarding the forum.

To give you the executive summary version, the forum, in its current iteration is roughly 14 years old, and the platform it has been built on, while it still gets routinely updated (every few months) it does not update from the bottom up. This means that often enough, things like the ability to view it on a mobile device and participate, often break. Furthermore, due to the size of its database (about 1gb worth), it is exceedingly hard to keep stable.

So, for me, wanting to see the place keep moving forward, my recommendation is, to keep this place online as an archive, and transition our forum, to a different system, that will be able to sustain and encourage participation. Our vast difference between Reddit Facebook whatever have you is the free speech part. Doing that will allow us to keep it.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Looks like a good plan. I agree with Far Cat, it is important to have a place that is unmoderated. And this why I never post anywhere else. Fuck, I tried, but in most places my manners get me banned.

So yeah, if moving tge current content to archive is the price for having a reliable forum I am all for it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Makes sense. The ability to browse the archive is huge, but there’s no need to go back and edit a post from 2012, for example.

The iGX 2.0 will need a surfing sub forum for Bram, May he Rest In Peace for trying to surf Nazarre during a 100’ swell.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Dux wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:29 am I will see what can be done tomorrow about a few different things regarding the forum.

To give you the executive summary version, the forum, in its current iteration is roughly 14 years old, and the platform it has been built on, while it still gets routinely updated (every few months) it does not update from the bottom up. This means that often enough, things like the ability to view it on a mobile device and participate, often break. Furthermore, due to the size of its database (about 1gb worth), it is exceedingly hard to keep stable.

So, for me, wanting to see the place keep moving forward, my recommendation is, to keep this place online as an archive, and transition our forum, to a different system, that will be able to sustain and encourage participation. Our vast difference between Reddit Facebook whatever have you is the free speech part. Doing that will allow us to keep it.
Thanks Dux. I know I speak for all of us when I say that we appreciate what you do for us. I certainly support exploring other options to keep free speech alive in our little corner of the interweave.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I’d also argue to flip what people can see unregistered. Right now it is “show up for the hate, stick around for the trading.”

Maybe reverse that?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

nafod wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:55 pm Makes sense. The ability to browse the archive is huge, but there’s no need to go back and edit a post from 2012, for example.

The iGX 2.0 will need a surfing sub forum for Bram, May he Rest In Peace for trying to surf Nazarre during a 100’ swell.
Hot Fitness Chick subform please :)

I got no goals to get shattered against the Cliffs of Insanity surfing if I can help it lol

And yes, many, many thanks Dux!! The amount this site crashes must be a huge pain in your ass. Greatly appreciate you keeping things running!! :heart: <<<<q
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

That sounds like a good plan. I also very much appreciate your work keeping this site operational, Dux!

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Bram wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:03 pm One thing that would help:

You have to login right now to look at anything beyond the Free Speech forum.

Getting rid of that security wall would be nice.
I think that's the only thing this place currently gets correct.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.