If you go to the gym...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

If you go to the gym...

Post by Turdacious »

Last edited by Turdacious on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: If you go to the gym...

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

A civilization in decline
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

In the moons gravity all are equal
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Fucking nonsense. Your great grandma wasn't that fat because she had to work. The immense people of today don't want to admit that weight impacts health. Period.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Covid likes fat people. A lot.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:11 pm Fucking nonsense. Your great grandma wasn't that fat because she had to work. The immense people of today don't want to admit that weight impacts health. Period.
My great grandfather was a very large man. Very tall. Over 6'3. Very big. Thick arms. Thick neck. Thick belly.

He was in a Japanese prison camp during WWII and he came out of it close to a 100 pounds.

After that he decided whenever he wanted he would eat whatever he wanted. If he wanted a bowl of ice cream at midnight, he would eat it. If wanted a cheeseburger and fries before dinner, no one was stopping him.

He died of a heart attack.

None of this has anything to do with anything really, except that some great grandparents might have been big people.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

newguy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm My great grandfather was a very large man. Very tall. Over 6'3. Very big. Thick arms. Thick neck. Thick belly.

He was in a Japanese prison camp during WWII and he came out of it close to a 100 pounds.

After that he decided whenever he wanted he would eat whatever he wanted. If he wanted a bowl of ice cream at midnight, he would eat it. If wanted a cheeseburger and fries before dinner, no one was stopping him.
My FIL is like that, although he's gotten better in the last 5 years. He starved as one of 14 kids when he was little and then starved again as an adult during five years of siege in Sarajevo. The man skipped NO meals voluntarily after that and pretty much just gobbles everything in sight. My understanding though is that prolonged starvation can have actual epigenetic effects on the brain and that people who survive starvation episodes often have trouble controlling their food intake afterwards.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:36 pm
newguy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm My great grandfather was a very large man. Very tall. Over 6'3. Very big. Thick arms. Thick neck. Thick belly.

My FIL is like that, although he's gotten better in the last 5 years. He starved as one of 14 kids when he was little and then starved again as an adult during five years of siege in Sarajevo. The man skipped NO meals voluntarily after that and pretty much just gobbles everything in sight. My understanding though is that prolonged starvation can have actual epigenetic effects on the brain and that people who survive starvation episodes often have trouble controlling their food intake afterwards.
Aren't there studies of babies born to mothers who were starved during German occupation of Belgium/France in WWII had an unusually high rate of obesity, even when normalized for activity level and caloric intake? The hypothesis being that exposure to lean times in the womb set up their brain chemistry to hoard bodyfat for the rest of their lives.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 am
Fat Cat wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Aren't there studies of babies born to mothers who were starved during German occupation of Belgium/France in WWII had an unusually high rate of obesity, even when normalized for activity level and caloric intake? The hypothesis being that exposure to lean times in the womb set up their brain chemistry to hoard bodyfat for the rest of their lives.
Yes and no, I think you might be conflating two different things. There was a famine in Belgium, but it was a result of the First World War. There was also a famine in the Netherlands, as a result of the Second World War. The Netherlands famine is the one which I am aware of having been tied to epigenetic effects on subsequent generations.

See: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/scie ... genes.html

Regardless of which is which, it is clear that starvation does permanently affect people and their offspring.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

While I know a number of people subscribing to every woke ideology out there, I don't believe the FA movement is real. You have a few mentally ill people out there making a lot of noise, and nobody outside the group publicly supports them. There's no national organization with employees like any other rights group.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Interestingly, it is thought that starving in men during preadolescence actually makes for leaner grandkids:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... andpa-eats

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Starv ... ce-suggest
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 am While I know a number of people subscribing to every woke ideology out there, I don't believe the FA movement is real. You have a few mentally ill people out there making a lot of noise, and nobody outside the group publicly supports them. There's no national organization with employees like any other rights group.
You're woke people aren't woke enough.

It all falls under the umbrella of body positivity, diverse representation, and fat shaming.

You see more and more add campaigns making sure that there is diversity not just in race/ethnicity, but in body type and size as well.

And it is not just female either. There was a male actor. I don't remember who it is, but he got jacked for an upcoming superhero movie. Some Marvel thing I think. He posted a transformation pic. He got a lot of flack and push back from the twitterverse for it. From reverse body shaming to perpetuating dominant male stereotypes, etc. etc. And this wasn't even the fringes.

I mean, on the one hand I get it. The industry has presented as ideal a body type that is many times at best an artistic rendering done through lighting, photoshop, and drugs.

The saddest part is that evolutionary it goes against what is genetically most appealing to us as species.

The idea that a man is attractive only after a period of starvation which has stripped so much fat from his body that the musculature of abdominal wall is visible is against nature.

The ideal male physique is powerful arms and shoulders, thick legs, and enough body fat to ensure that the muscles of the stomach are protected and covered. This signifies success to the female species. They instinctually know that a male with this body is well fed and can care for them and their offspring.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:26 pm The ideal male physique is powerful arms and shoulders, thick legs, and enough body fat to ensure that the muscles of the stomach are protected and covered. This signifies success to the female species. They instinctually know that a male with this body is well fed and can care for them and their offspring.
Evolution says us animals care about more than just pure function.

Six pack abs = plumage

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

nafod wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:33 pm
newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:26 pm The ideal male physique is powerful arms and shoulders, thick legs, and enough body fat to ensure that the muscles of the stomach are protected and covered. This signifies success to the female species. They instinctually know that a male with this body is well fed and can care for them and their offspring.
Evolution says us animals care about more than just pure function.

Six pack abs = plumage

It's a lie emaciated males tell themselves and have tried hard to convince the world.

Powerful men have powerful bellies.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I am not into fat shaming, but I have to say this: In the writing of my book on basic fitness for beginners, I had several editors tell me I couldn't use the words, overweight, obese, etc. And I had to be very careful when talking about the health risks of being obese. So, I just stuck to the science on obesity-associated disease and joint damage, but still had to be very careful with my words. I get it somewhat, the overweight are part of my target audience, but I can't exactly pretend that obesity isn't a problem. Obviously the OP is satire, but there is a lot of "you go girl" bullshit going on in the world where all someone has to do is say "Im starting my weight loss journey" to get all the positive attention they need without actually losing any weight. Death is not the only side effect of being too fat. It affects everyone around you just like any addiction. You don't need a six-pack, you just need to be able to carry your own weight with ease.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Its' completely ridiculous.

Let's take two extremes. Morbidly obese and legit fitness model shape.

There is a lot of room between those where a person can live happy, healthy, and fit.

You don't have to be shredded with veins in the abs to look good and feel good.

But that doesn't mean that being so large that you can't walk yourself through walmart to buy your cheesepuffs is okay.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

syaigh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm I am not into fat shaming, but I have to say this: In the writing of my book on basic fitness for beginners, I had several editors tell me I couldn't use the words, overweight, obese, etc. And I had to be very careful when talking about the health risks of being obese.
Interesting anecdote. I wonder how long it’ll be until even specialized publishers of fitness manuals and textbooks fall victim to such attitudes.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Fat people are disgusting and deserve to die.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:20 pm Its' completely ridiculous.

Let's take two extremes. Morbidly obese and legit fitness model shape.

There is a lot of room between those where a person can live happy, healthy, and fit.

You don't have to be shredded with veins in the abs to look good and feel good.

But that doesn't mean that being so large that you can't walk yourself through walmart to buy your cheesepuffs is okay.
People seek identity; if they draw this from an activity they’ll drift towards extreme manifestations of such. Everyone finds themselves on the couch eating chips watching Netflix. This, done occasionally, probably doesn’t constitute problem behavior and won’t (by itself) result in obesity. Going as hard as possible, binging Netflix whilst binging junk food to the exclusion of any other activities is part of a pattern of behavior that can result in extreme obesity. If your only avocation is Netflix and pizza, you’re going to go hard to the paint and end up as an immobile blob.

The converse is true. If your avocation (and identify) revolve around CrossFit, you’ll become a dick, an injured yet reasonably fit dick.

I cannot speak as to whether the search for identity is a symptom of individual vs societal problems.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm Fat people are disgusting and deserve to die.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm Fat people are disgusting and deserve to die.
Here is the sliding scale....

fat......curvy (f)/fluffy (m)......thicc (f)/powerful (m)........shredded........skinny........bony

Ideal is the thicc/powerful zone.

Either end is not a place you really want to be.
Females can pull off curvy.
Males can pull off skinny. (But they really shouldn't.)

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Eating right and exercising will not put everyone into the shredded zone.
But it should keep everyone out of the fat/obese zone.

And I think that is where the fat advocacy/body positivity movement runs into problems. It allows people to celebrate habits and choices that are damaging their health and ability to live a full and fulfilled life.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

This is what early post-contact Aborigines looked like, as a frame of reference. They look powerful but not thicc.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm Image

This is what early post-contact Aborigines looked like, as a frame of reference. They look powerful but not thicc.
Too little body fat. Not enough calories to support true power.

Clearly I am being a bit facetious here.

But, I do think it is very possible to do a lot of things right in terms of diet and exercise, and not be shredded. Healthy, fit, attractive. But not shredded. Being shredded for a lot of bodies takes an extra level of effort and for some, that contest level of dieting is not healthy or sustainable.