Biden's America: Fuck Your Rights

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Biden's America: Fuck Your Rights

Post by Fat Cat »

Biden Administration Urges Supreme Court To Let Cops Enter Homes And Seize Guns Without A Warrant

The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday will hear oral argument in Caniglia v. Strom, a case that could have sweeping consequences for policing, due process, and mental health, with the Biden Administration and attorneys general from nine states urging the High Court to uphold warrantless gun confiscation.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksibill ... 3127062829
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Biden's America: Fuck Your Rights

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Hey FatCat, some asshole hijacked your account and is posting stupid shit.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:50 pm Hey FatCat, some asshole hijacked your account and is posting stupid shit.
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:50 pm Hey FatCat, some asshole hijacked your account and is posting stupid shit.
I'm the asshole and I'm fine with that. I'm not interested in being everyone's friend.

I posted an article from Forbes. Would you like to discuss how the man you voted for is promoting warrantless gun confiscation?

So what's stupid?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Confiscating firearms from a potentially suicidal person is a good idea. The GSW I treated back in the day would have been avoided if this was more easily done, since people were trying to get the guy help.

Currently, and as your article points out, this is legal in many places, and I'm not aware of a rash of unwarranted confiscations.

Reducing firearm suicides and mental health crises should be a bipartisan effort among gun owners and non-owners alike.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm Confiscating firearms from a potentially suicidal person is a good idea. The GSW I treated back in the day would have been avoided if this was more easily done, since people were trying to get the guy help.

Currently, and as your article points out, this is legal in many places, and I'm not aware of a rash of unwarranted confiscations.

Reducing firearm suicides and mental health crises should be a bipartisan effort among gun owners and non-owners alike.
Personally, I think people should have a right to commit suicide. It's a matter of self determination, and it's absolutely not an excuse to further infringe people's civil liberties.

On a broader level, using mental health as a means to politically persecute people is page from the USSR's book. Read about Psikhushkas and Soviet abuses of psychiatry/psychology here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psikhushka

and here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... viet_Union

"The official Soviet psychiatric science came up with the definition of sluggish schizophrenia, a special form of the illness that supposedly affects only the person's social behavior, with no trace on other traits: "most frequently, ideas about a struggle for truth and justice are formed by personalities with a paranoid structure," according to the Moscow Serbsky Institute professors..."

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm Confiscating firearms from a potentially suicidal person is a good idea. The GSW I treated back in the day would have been avoided if this was more easily done, since people were trying to get the guy help.

Listed below are suicide rates. Most of these nations have strict gun control. Russia, for example, has a total ban on handgun ownership for civilians. South Korea has a total ban on all guns for civilians. Japan has very strict gun licensing.

Gun control does not reduce suicide. Gun control serves other agendas.

Country Total Suicide Rate

Lithuania 31.9
Russia 31
Guyana 29.2
South Korea 26.9
Belarus 26.2
Suriname 22.8
Kazakhstan 22.5
Ukraine 22.4
Lesotho 21.2
Latvia 21.2
Belgium 20.7
Hungary 19.1
Slovenia 18.6
Japan 18.5
Uruguay 18.4
Estonia 17.8
France 17.7
Switzerland 17.2
Croatia 16.5
Equatorial Guinea 16.4
India 16.3
Poland 16.2
Finland 15.9
Moldova 15.9
Austria 15.6
Serbia 15.6
United States 15.3
Sweden 14.8

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... population
Last edited by Gene on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

What's going on with Belgium?

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm Confiscating firearms from a potentially suicidal person is a good idea.
Not my body, my choice?

How do you determine "potentially suicidal"? Somebody else's opinion? Mental healthcare professionals who have no better predictive abilities than the average person the street? An estranged spouse says so?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sua Sponte wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm Confiscating firearms from a potentially suicidal person is a good idea.
Not my body, my choice?
72 hour psych holds are already a thing. As long as it's temporary, it's hard to argue someone's gun has more rights than the actual person.
How do you determine "potentially suicidal"? Somebody else's opinion?
Of course.
Mental healthcare professionals who have no better predictive abilities than the average person the street?

Obviously false statement
An estranged spouse says so?
Yes. this is already a thing and people don't appear to abuse it in any meaningful way.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

Hey, Spells. Some asshole has highjacked your account and is posting stupid shit.
72 hour psych holds are already a thing. As long as it's temporary, it's hard to argue someone's gun has more rights than the actual person.
So concluded. Not my body, not my choice. Duly noted.

You may want to go back and re-read. I'm sure your reading comprehension is good, when you do really read things. Nobody is claiming the gun has rights. WTH? And holding somebody against his will based upon the opinion of another, usually wrong, is a rights violation. Even for 72 hours.

And just because it's already done doesn't mean it should kept being done. We all know what a foolish consistency is a hobgoblin of.
Of course.
I see what you did there. You context dropping, parser you. So very clever.

Yeah? Obvious how? To whom? Based on what? Usually wrong, is usually wrong. In both directions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Yes. this is already a thing and people don't appear to abuse it in any meaningful way.
From Wikipedia: A 2006 Wisconsin study showed that female petitioners were successful about 62 percent of the time in seeking restraining orders at the full hearing where the respondents had the chance to be present. The success rate appeared to be higher if the petitioners were represented by advocates or attorneys.[13] The success rate is about 83 percent with an attorney and 32 percent without an attorney.[31] In 2017 in Dane County, 393 petitions for a domestic abuse restraining order were filed, resulting in 186 long term injunctions being issued, for an overall petitioner success rate of about 47 percent.[32]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_ ... cess_rates

So unless an attorney is present on behalf of the accuser, which hardly assures justice and fairness to the accused, the courts fail to uphold the initial issuance of a temporary restraining order over 2/3rds of the time. Sounds like abuse. And the accused doesn't get a court assigned person to plead his side of the story. Can take weeks foe the accused to get his rights back depending upon the court backlog and local laws.

In Dane county, a guy loses his rights for weeks and it's found to be without foundation over half the time. Punted from his house, lost access to his kids, might even effect is work and professional life. This type system is set-up to encourage abuse.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

newguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm What's going on with Belgium?
What do you mean, specifically?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01 pm
Mental healthcare professionals who have no better predictive abilities than the average person the street?

Uh oh. I was a mental healthcare professional. Are you acknowledging my superior predictive abilities?

Also, you're wrong. There's a rather massive body of scientific literature that confirms that psychologists and psychiatrists have very poor validity and reliability to their predictive and diagnostic abilities. A taste here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 131152.htm

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 pm
newguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm What's going on with Belgium?
What do you mean, specifically?
I was surprised to see them so high on the suicide list.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01 pm

Uh oh. I was a mental healthcare professional. Are you acknowledging my superior predictive abilities?

Also, you're wrong. There's a rather massive body of scientific literature that confirms that psychologists and psychiatrists have very poor validity and reliability to their predictive and diagnostic abilities. A taste here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 131152.htm
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Spells, you came out swinging and I give you credit for that, but your follow through here is chest-greasy and lieman-ish. I asked you, directly, to point out what was stupid about my post--despite it not containing anything other than a quote from the original article--and you have yet to draw. Now skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens! :die:

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01 pmAs long as it's temporary, it's hard to argue someone's gun has more rights than the actual person.
Said the man whose apartment was burgled a while back. Do you remember how violated that you felt, Steve, when you came home to a robbed apartment? I remember reading how you felt.

I want you to imagine, having that burglary done by law enforcement, at gun point, because of someone else's allegations. Police take more private property under "civil forfeiture" than burglars. They're already doing it under "drug" laws. More injustice doesn't create justice.

If we're worried about suicide then the police ought to take any weapon on the property. Most people suicide from hanging and pesticides. Take the rope, the electric cords, take the bug spray. Take the knives out of the kitchen. Take the propane out of the gas grill. If it's about preventing suicide then be thorough to save lives.

This "gun safety" business is just to condition citizens to look at guns as a privilege. Just like it is in the UK.
Last edited by Gene on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gene wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 am
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:01 pmAs long as it's temporary, it's hard to argue someone's gun has more rights than the actual person.
Said the man whose apartment was burgled a while back. Do you remember how violated that you felt, Steve, when you came home to a robbed apartment? I remember reading how you felt.

I want you to imagine, Steve, having that burglary done by law enforcement, at gun point, because of someone else's allegations. Police take more private property under "civil forfeiture" than burglars. They're already doing it under "drug" laws. More injustice doesn't create justice.

If we're worried about suicide then the police ought to take any weapon on the property. Most people suicide from hanging and pesticides. Take the rope, the electric cords, take the bug spray. Take the knives out of the kitchen. Take the propane out of the gas grill. If it's about preventing suicide then be thorough to save lives.

This "gun safety" business is just to condition citizens to look at guns as a privilege. Just like it is in the UK.
Stop being a fucking cock using people's names. He has a sig name, use it.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 pm Stop being a fucking cock using people's names. He has a sig name, use it.
Fair enough, fats.

You gonna talk to this guy too? He used someone's RL name, someone you know well.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232877

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

If it keeps up, yes. I want what you want, a place where people can speak freely.