The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Fuzzy Dunlop

Re: The couch thread

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
coop wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Image
All for spreading the hate where it's due, but Aimee Anaya is an actual athlete and CF ties aside, catalyst athletics is a good website
No hate here, those are great photos.
thought that pic was lumped in with the androgen Friday post... I see now that it wasn't
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Csubi f'ed the pooch on both the press and squat and yet his 66% slop is closer to elite now than most Cf'ers will ever be.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Instead of ever getting a 500lb deadlift, can I just pull a 400lb one with perfect technique and say the other 20% of the weight goes to my slop? Does that count?

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Charismatic megafauna wrote:Csubi f'ed the pooch on both the press and squat and yet his 66% slop is closer to elite now than most Cf'ers will ever be.
I'm sure the dude is a nice guy or whatever, and he's clearly got some natural ability. Too bad he fell in with a bunch of pansies, as opposed to a real PL, or OL gym. He'd probably do well with some real coaching.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

WildGorillaMan wrote:More virtuosity

http://www.crossfitbc.com/my_weblog/200 ... e-day.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPyJoPnk0Do[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsyGjOy0Jhk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEAuQrtoqgc[/youtube]

to be fair, that's no worse than I've seen in lots of gyms, and better than many.
Those videos are definetely not the worse. The dropping of weights was pretty gay though.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Patrick Donnelly wrote:Instead of ever getting a 500lb deadlift, can I just pull a 400lb one with perfect technique and say the other 20% of the weight goes to my slop? Does that count?
At this point in life the only slop you should be concerned about is keeping skid marks out of your underwear and finally spilling some jizz on a pretty lady.

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

it's pretty sad when a 500lb deadlift takes up all the room on the bar and you need to tie the plates on to fit.
Obviously his gym wasn't expecting to develop any strong lifters as 500 should really only be an opener at best for
a guy his size. The oversize bumbers are just an ego trip

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

macmad wrote:it's pretty sad when a 500lb deadlift takes up all the room on the bar and you need to tie the plates on to fit.
Obviously his gym wasn't expecting to develop any strong lifters as 500 should really only be an opener at best for
a guy his size. The oversize bumbers are just an ego trip
are we to believe that there is not one single pair of iron plates in the gym? :ANAL:
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

The guys a stud but I've lifted as much on all three lifts at nearly 50# lighter bodyweight.

And I didn't drop the fucking weight when I got the lift.

That being said he's a fuck load stronger than I am now and probably ever be again.

If he was training like Greyskull or Catalyst Athletics he could quite possibly turn out to be a fairly decent strength athlete but if Cultfit BC is like all the other pansy gyms he'll lose strength and almost definitely get injured by trying to do the gay ass met-con workouts with the trainer taking no care to adjust said work outs for his size.

But I hope I'm wrong. With some conditioning and real weight training this guy could be a decent strength athlete.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

Dear x-fit assholes who read this thread:

Which is a fucking bunch. I do not overly contribute here, too much talent to even try. The stupid cultist x-fit ball suckers provide most of our material. We couldn't make up the moronic shit you dumb fucks post or respond to.

Yes, my shit is old. I don't even try to overly fuck with you. Too easy to post a one-liner and watch you fucks freak out.

That SF Weekly got to you through here. So, as usual, half of Santa Cruz rushes in to tongue fuck Glasshole's asshole.

Thanks for all the fun.

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

Unfortunately, people only know what they know and can't possibly understand CrossFit without knowing the science behind it and insight into the programming.
Someone PLEASE EXPAIN the "science". I have searched and searched and never found it. The CFJ cites ITSELF as a source and everyone else sites Glassman. Who gets away with this? I remember reading an article on Milenium Cults and how could people still believe in the cult that told them they would die on a certain date---when they didn't die they were told they didn't believe enough. I never liked the cult tag put on @fitt until it really started to fit. Mike Boyle "couldn't possibly understand CF?" Lets ask Joe FDeFranco who actually creates champs instead of picking them up on the downside of their careers and gets them to pimp @fit. Idiots

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Robb Wolf seems to have his head on straight (from the SF article comments section):
No rhabdo from our gym. We’ve utilized a stratified entry to our program for a number of years. EVERYONE starts with the On-Ramp (http://www.cathletics.com/articles/down ... iculum.pdf) which is a 12 session beginner course. Mechanics are paramount in this course, with work capacity and intensity slowly ramping up. Fit, healthy individuals go harder, the de-conditioned go slower. Success and progress are emphasized. From here folks graduate into either Elements or Level 1 based on their fitness. These standards are BTW, directly inspired from the work of Dave Werner and his 4 Levels of fitness (http://www.crossfitseattle.com/Skill%20 ... dsheet.pdf)

People start slow, ramp up and find great success. Our trainers are also good about asking people how they are feeling, hydration etc. Now all that said, a cold, the flu or a change in medication that is not communicated to the trainer can greatly increase the likelihood of rhabdo. No one talks about the rhabdo cases that occur after EVERY marathon...less sensationalistic I guess.

IF a client got rhabdo I'd do my best to figure out why (too much intensity too soon, too much eccentric loading, new medication, were they gone for a period of time). No system is perfect but keeping a communication line with clients makes this process much more solid.

As to the general adoption of something like this for most affiliates: Some contend this process would produce weak performers and or slow business growth. We have 6-10 people with sub 3 min Fran's, our business has grown more than 100% in a years time...during an economic down-turn. Quality training and coaching has this interesting effect of protecting one from liability AND ensuring prosperity. Funny that.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Doug From Chicago.....

Are you kidding me? Where's are elite athletes. These are the rediculous, misinformed, uneducated question we have to continually re-iterate ourselves on.

Lets start here. The Rowing Association's Varsity Women's 8+, won the National Championship by almost five seconds (open water) for the second straight year in a row...CrossFitters.

Beijing:
Gold medalist Erin Cafaro...CrossFitter
Gold Medalist Casey Burgener...CrossFitter

Nationally ranked Olympic Lifter and former Olympian Eva T.

B.J. Penn and Chuck Liddel of UFC... CRossFitters

Should I keep going or are you feeling stupid yet?

Get your facts straight before posting your uninformed opinion as fact.

As for the genius posting about the main site as being a tracking system for evidence based fitness. Has anyone ever said that the message board is what is used to track the empirical evidence that we speak of? No? Hmmmm. How about the 5-10 years of data collected before the site went up? Maybe that data may be what we look on to prove our claims. Data collected during individual sessions with athletes, with measurable, observable and repeatable results.
Comment by Chris from Edmonton, AB on Jul 3rd, 2009, 21:08 pm
Casey Burgener didn't lift in Bejing. Even if he had lifted, he would have had no chance at a medal, based on his lifetime best lifts. Further, he did not follow @F's so-called programming in his training.

@F has never produced a single "elite" athlete. Wonder why? Aside from the complete lack of rational programming, most of the "@F certified trainers" in their gyms had no experience in sports, much less in strength and conditioning, prior to paying $1,000 to spend a weekend jumping rope and lifting pvc pipe.
Comment by Paul from SF on Jul 3rd, 2009, 22:55 pm
Maybe he would have if he had done CrossFit!
(It does suck that he didn't make it - he did earn his spot. But a CrossFitter trying to claim him, and exaggerate his accomplishments immensely, is absurd.)
This article is fluff and nonsense because it doesn't even try to tell the real Crossfit story: who is AllisonNYC dating now?
Comment by Adoring Fan from Anchorage on Jul 4th, 2009, 09:25 am
=D>

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Thud wrote:
Patrick Donnelly wrote:Instead of ever getting a 500lb deadlift, can I just pull a 400lb one with perfect technique and say the other 20% of the weight goes to my slop? Does that count?
At this point in life the only slop you should be concerned about is keeping skid marks out of your underwear and finally spilling some jizz on a pretty lady.
Oh come on, let the man be. There are people with religious values that don't believe in premarital sex, and people that are just waiting for the right person. To each their own.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Fish wrote: Oh come on, let the man be. There are people with religious values that don't believe in premarital sex, and people that are just waiting for the right person. To each their own.
Sexual preference confusion?

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

How you say...they are a-leet-lee phit??? Actual Gaymes competitors...
:vom: :vom: :vom:

Gah.
Generic Cultist on affiliate board wrote:I think the more relevant question for me would be "How do you find time to do everything else when all you want to do is CrossFit?"

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Robb Wolf in SF Weekly comments wrote:[W]hat is CrossFit?
I like the “work capacity across broad time and modal domains” and all that implies just fine. What got lost along the way (for some people) is that there is a right place and a right time for EVERYTHING. A purely randomized S&C program will take an untrained generalist a good bit down the road, but I think they would be better served with some linear progression, then standard periodization, both in regards to strength work and how anaerobic capacity is maintained and built. For the Crossfitter it starts looking like a year round wrestling program with periods in which various attributes are emphasized and de-emphasized. To reach the elite, one must be quite strong.

For ATHLETES I approach things differently than I do for fitness generalists. The lion’s share of Glen’s work is Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics strength moves and fight training. His off seasons are classic “crossfit” but with my obvious biases.
SUMMARY: @Fers are not athletes, they are "fitness generalists", and Mr. Wolf is NOT "doing @F".

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Fish wrote:
Thud wrote:
Oh come on, let the man be. There are people with religious values that don't believe in premarital sex, and people that are just waiting for the right person. To each their own.

POD may think he's doing it for religious reasons, but he's really doing it to please his mom.

But it's not gonna work out. He could be posting at plenty of other boards were he'd get respect, but he likes it in this swill hole. He's rather seduced by the darkside. He's not gonna marry Shannon O'hara, or whichever sweet lass his mom has picked out for him. No, he's gonna end up with Juanita, the economically struggling Latina with the bastard child. His mom will hate him for it, but he'll enjoy the swarthy girl's seasoned sweat, and he'll take pride in exercising his Christian values by being there for people in need of his time, emotional charity and support.

I commend this future. POD will make a great family man. But once he realizes he can deviate from his mother's script without losing his soul it will allow him to fulfill his genetic destiny and copulate with females. And when he does, he will realize that the "substantial neuroendocrine whollop and...anabolic punch" of a good 'gasm will better his performance across the board far more than a sub 4 minute Fran or a Gallon Of Milk A Day.

POD deserves our support and encouragement :drinkers: :JR: :sperm: <<<<q

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Did anyone ever notice Travis Ortmayer once posted on the CrossFit boards?
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25120

I was Googling for tips on building a log and came across that. I wouldn't have even recognized the name a year ago, still deep in CF ignorance. I'm glad to see no one told him to just try the WOD and see how it goes. But then again, that was 2007. If I were him, I'd get the thread and account deleted before Glassman tries to claim the world's best stone lifter.

Fish, thanks for the support.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Resident Quack wrote:How you say...they are a-leet-lee phit??? Actual Gaymes competitors...
:vom: :vom: :vom:

Gah.
Generic Cultist on affiliate board wrote:I think the more relevant question for me would be "How do you find time to do everything else when all you want to do is CrossFit?"
Regarding the chicklet in the middle: (before WGM can say it,) "No baby, leave the socks on!"
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Fish wrote:
I'm not the most seasoned IgXer, but come on... you're on IgX, on the couch thread, defending religion, morals and POD?
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I must have been preoccupied with other critical IGx business, but are you all saying that Paddy O'Donnelly is a virgin?

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Hank Scorpio wrote:I must have been preoccupied with other critical IGx business, but are you all saying that Paddy O'Donnelly is a virgin?
No, he is.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Damien wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:I must have been preoccupied with other critical IGx business, but are you all saying that Paddy O'Donnelly is a virgin?
No, he is.
His priest knows (in the Biblical sense) otherwise.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Sweet Gorilla Jesus, people, keep you eye on the ball here!

Start a goddamn "POD's A Vayjayjay" thread, if you must. We've got @fit-related douchebaggery to chronicle!
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.