Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

About Face, The Odyseey of an American Warrior by Col. David

Post by DARTH »

Hackworht

I first read this book in the late 90s and came across it in a bunch of stored stuff, so I gave it a reread.

An awsome tale of a man who enlisted in the Army as a 15 year old kid, learned the trade from WW2 vets in the occupation of Triest, went to Korea, was battlefeild commishend at 20, tasked to form the Wolfhound Raiders at 21.

Later did 3 stints in Vietnam and multiple trips over there between tours.

He's a contraversial figure, Jim gave me a lttle inside dirt, but even he admitted he was a Warrior first.

A great book.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Re: About Face, The Odyseey of an American Warrior by Col. David

Post by Gene »

"Steel my Soldier's Hearts" was good too. Lot of discussion on how he trained his men, lead from the front and how he stood up for his people against their "superiors".

His philosophy agrees with what I've heard from some of the Viet Nam vets at work. Especially "Take care of your people and they'll take care of you".

I have an autographed copy of "Viet Nam Primer" too. I don't fight wars so I don't know how practical it is for that purpose. For dealing with "front office" types it has some valuable advice if you think about it.

Gene
Don't like yourself too much.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: About Face, The Odyseey of an American Warrior by Col. David

Post by johno »

About Face is an inspiring story, with many lessons for combat leaders.

I didn't agree with Hack's politics, but I sure do miss him. His death was a great loss to our military...he was a BTDT advocate for the troops.