Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Motorola Droid

Post by nafod »

seeahill wrote:On Android Eris:

GPS calculations are wildly inaccurate. I wish they were the real thing, because they have me going much faster and much farther than my Garmin Forerunner. Sadly, after a number of calculations, the I've found the Garmin is correct.
Which part? I know the elevation gains are out of whack, but that is because is trying to measure the elevation rather than taking it off of a map.

Distance too? My positioning has been right on throughout.

If GPS is not on, it will attempt to figure out your position from cellphone towers, which is way inaccurate.
Don’t believe everything you think.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

nafod wrote:
seeahill wrote:On Android Eris:

GPS calculations are wildly inaccurate. I wish they were the real thing, because they have me going much faster and much farther than my Garmin Forerunner. Sadly, after a number of calculations, the I've found the Garmin is correct.
Which part? I know the elevation gains are out of whack, but that is because is trying to measure the elevation rather than taking it off of a map.

Distance too? My positioning has been right on throughout.

If GPS is not on, it will attempt to figure out your position from cellphone towers, which is way inaccurate.
On the Eris: with GPS on. Distance is about a quarter longer. That is, if I went a mile, it tells me I went a mile and a quarter. If I walked that mile in 15 minutes, it tells me I did it in 11. It isn't consistently inaccurate, so you can't calibrate. I use CardioTrainer.

I do carry it in my pocket which probably screws it up.

I do not map it out later, which might make it more accurate.

I thought you had a dedicated GPS. Have you ever measured one against the other?

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

seeahill wrote:I thought you had a dedicated GPS. Have you ever measured one against the other?
I don't, but I send my recorded tracks to the MyMaps google page, which should let me measure things as per the map, which should be ground truth. Have to check it out.
Don’t believe everything you think.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

My old phone started doing whatever it wanted, whenever. Bought a Motorola Droid.

Way too much device for me, but I think I can grow into it. Thought about the Incredible but it felt flimsy in my hands.

Like the fact that Android is open source so most of the apps are free.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:Yours truly left his BB Curve on the roof of the Grand Cherokee and 'twas lost forever. BestBuy Mobile's 'insurance' isn't really an insurance, but a warranty....so the loss was not covered. I liked the BB a lot, but wanted all the bells and whistles the G3 smart phones have and ended-up buying the HTC HD2. I've not had a lot of time to really fuck with it, download apps, ect, but I love this phone. Works great as a phone that you actually have conversations on, too.

Thumbs high, so far.
This phone ended-up being the biggest POS I've ever owned. Tons of bugs, ect. Apparently, I was not alone in that T-Mobile has been upgrading HD2 owners with phone woes to the HD7 for free. My HD7 just came in today and it seems to be much improved. Time will tell.