My favorite books about Judaism

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

My favorite books about Judaism

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Nine Questions People Ask About Judaism, by Dennis Prager and Joseph Telushkin. A short, spirited articulation of ethical monotheism as the rational essence of Judaism.

Jewish Wisdom by Joseph Telushkin. 90 short chapters exploring issues of ethics, meaning, our relationship to God, the response of an ancient religion to modernity, the Holocaust, and Zionism. Nearly every chapter is a gem. Telushkin writes simply and elegantly, and he has complete command of all the rich sources of Jewish thought. Plus he gets it, and knows how to convey what's meaningful.

The Long Shorter Way and The Sustaining Utterance, by Adin Steinsaltz. Jewish mysticism stems from the Zohar, which is incomprehensible to any but the most learned. The first Lubavitch Rabbi, Shneur Zalman of Liadi, wrote the Tanya to explicate and systemize the Zohar's thought. The Tanya, though, is barely comprehensible to any but the most learned. Steinsaltz, probably the pre-eminent Jewish scholar of our era, wrote these two books as a commentary on the Tanya to make it accessible. It is a profound exploration of God and man and ways of knowing God. These books are not easy reading, but the do merit the work for those interested in learning Jewish mystical understandings of the world and God.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: My favorite books about Judaism

Post by Fat Cat »

You are a troll, plain and simple. Take your toilet paper and wipe your ass with it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I thought the Torah would make the list, but what do I know?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Pinky wrote:I thought the Torah would make the list, but what do I know?
It's one of those Jew tricks. The Torah ain't a book.

We'll see how kosher Hebe is:

When did you finish writing yours? If you haven't, finish your jerking off on the fat chicks thread, jump into the mikvah, and start writing.

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Fat Cat wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. I've ordered them from Amazon, but will never admit it.

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

While I realize this was intended to be clever, it's a reasonable point. The Torah is a very difficult book to read and understand on its own. Jewish tradition is that God gave Moses both the written law (the Five Books of Moses) and the oral law (the Mishna). Then there's hundreds of years of commentary as to how to put together the oral law and written law and other traditions (midrash, gemara, and others). There's no sola scriptura in Judaism. Also, translation loses a lot of meaning if you don't know Hebrew. So, in terms of learning about Judaism, the only way to read the Torah and understand it is with extensive commentary.

A simple example: In the written Torah, a number of sins are punishable by capital punishment. But when the oral law and other traditions are considered, capital punishment was next to impossible to impose. Historically, when Jewish courts governed criminal matters (through the destruction of the second temple), capital punishment was extremely rare. That's also why capital punishment has always been banned in Israel, with Eichman being the only exception. So, summing it up, reading the Five Books alone is not a good way to learn about Judaism.

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Norman U. Senchbau wrote:

When did you finish writing yours? If you haven't, finish your jerking off on the fat chicks thread, jump into the mikvah, and start writing.
If you want to have a shred of self-respect as a self-hating, Judaism-hating Jew, at least be a learned one. Jews use the word torah to mean a number of things, and one is a book containing the Five Books of Moses. As to the mitzva to write a torah, the tradition is that, except for Jewish kings (which haven't been around for some 2500 years), one may fulfill the mitzva of writing a Torah in many ways other than writing one. Google will get you there, but you should really take the time to develop more than a superficial understanding of Judaism.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Hebrew Hammer wrote:
Norman U. Senchbau wrote:

If you want to have a shred of self-respect as a self-hating, Judaism-hating Jew, at least be a learned one. Jews use the word torah to mean a number of things, and one is a book containing the Five Books of Moses. As to the mitzva to write a torah, the tradition is that, except for Jewish kings (which haven't been around for some 2500 years), one may fulfill the mitzva of writing a Torah in many ways other than writing one. Google will get you there, but you should really take the time to develop more than a superficial understanding of Judaism.
Your last two entries have been nothing but Jew talk par excellence.

Thanks for playing into the stereotypes nicely.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Guide for the Perplexed - Moses bin Maimon
Two Types of Faith - Martin Buber
Chosen - Chaim Potok (although I mostly liked this because it's a great novel)
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote:You are a troll, plain and simple. Take your toilet paper and wipe your ass with it.
Beware the Eye of the Jew. It is upon you.

Extra credit if you can identify the movie.
Attachments
untitled1.gif
untitled1.gif (69.41 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Jud Süß?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen