Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Grooveshark

Post by Turdacious »

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Good selection of music. Unlike Pandora, you pick specifically what you want to listen to. Most importantly, it makes it through the internet filter at work.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Grooveshark

Post by johno »

Nice.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I'd heard of GrooveShark but didn't know if it was any good.

I just did a search for "John Fahey", a brilliant-but-obscure folk guitarist, expecting to see maybe a song or two (or none), but got a listing of more than 50 songs, including some live stuff I had no idea existed. Wow, impressive.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Dick Cracy
Recruit

Post by Dick Cracy »

John Fahey's a big JYEAH in my little book of sounds.
I don't know if it's still like this but some of those damned music providers don't work in the Canadian states. Grooveshark, therefore, is a goshsend.

I saw Fahey twice live.
The best time was when he did the warmup for Larry Coryell in the fusion era. Coryell had Alponse Mouson on drums with that group. Shaft meets the modern Buddy Rich and they go out for a joint and some D-bol.
Anyhows, Fahey gets real deep into a very long thing, going from one theme to another and back again, building slowly but intensely to a crashing peak when suddenly one of his strings decided to go KERSCHNAPP and half the heads in the audience snap back like a cross between your monthly visit to the chiro and Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Fuck, I must be drunk.

Most of the people in the audience just milled about clueless, waiting for Coryell to come on and complaining about Fahey's lack of technique and grace and musicianship and all that other horseshit. One of the best live music nights of my life, loving John's stuff and knowing the majority hated it. So it goes.

There's a couple of great books by Fahey and my favorite is How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Bluegrass-Mus ... t_ep_dpi_1

This guy is funnier than shit, goes way out there and is knowledgeable as all hell.

Not too many people, even guitar 'players' like him all that much.
Hey, who gives a shit!