Advances in Functional Training-Mike Boyle

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
RyaWall

Advances in Functional Training-Mike Boyle

Post by RyaWall »

This book is basically an updated version of his Functional Training for Sports. He changed his opinion on a few things since his 2004 book but his strength training programs basically stayed the same.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Re: Advances in Functional Training-Mike Boyle

Post by Tirofijo »

Bumping this to see if anyone else has read this and has thoughts on this book. I know Boyle has some contrarian views on back squats and other mainstream lifts, but I also remember he was adamant that the strength coach's first job was not to injure the star athlete

It just so happens that I'm looking for a gooroo that will keep me from hurting myself.

I was following 5/3/1 (probably with poor benching form) and ended up with distal clavicular Osteolysis (weightlifters shoulder). Going to work around it for now, but want to be smarter in the future.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Boyle trains hockey players. Cressey is probably better for shoulder stuff. You can check Tony G's blog as well, his writing is a bit too jokey/casual for me but he knows his stuff.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Boyle is an excellent sales man and puts out a fuck ton of material for a real strength coach.

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Boyle is an excellent sales man and puts out a fuck ton of material for a real strength coach.

How's the content? Putting things out just for the sake of putting things out is bogus. I hate that shit.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

I bought it on Kindle. This book, for $9, or $15 or whatever I paid, isn't the cash grab. It's his basic program, updated from the book he wrote in 2003. I don't think it's an unreasonable price, and enough time has passed between the first book and this one that Boyle has probably learned some things and changed his thoughts.

I think the cash grab is the $199 dvd set from Boyle that has been revamped multiple time.

I do see the problem with Boyle being very very prolific - articles everywhere, podcast, videos, etc. So if he wrote an article tomorrow that said he had learned, say, planks are bad for you, it would make me wonder if he has really discovered something new, or does he just think he has to keep his name out there by publishing something contrarian in order to sell this DVD sets.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Tirofijo wrote:I do see the problem with Boyle being very very prolific - articles everywhere, podcast, videos, etc. So if he wrote an article tomorrow that said he had learned, say, planks are bad for you, it would make me wonder if he has really discovered something new, or does he just think he has to keep his name out there by publishing something contrarian in order to sell this DVD sets.
Hmmm, you may be on to something...
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"