Dreamtigers

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Dreamtigers

Post by nafod »

Book by J.L. Borges, of whom I am a big fan. A bunch of short stories, parables, some poems, little pieces of stuff that all tie together in exploring self and consciousness in an oblique way. Small book that fits into spare space in a backpack. Generates lots of good pondering. Here's a some snippets from the parable Everything and Nothing:
There was no one in him; behind his face (which even in the poor paintings of the period is unlike any other) and his words, which were copious, imaginative, and emotional, there was nothing but a little chill, a dream not dreamed by anyone. At first he thought everyone was like him, but the puzzled look on a friend’s face when he remarked on that emptiness told him he was mistaken and convinced him forever that an individual must not differ from his species.

...At twenty-odd he went to London. Instinctively, he had already trained himself in the habit of pretending that he was someone, so it would not be discovered that he was no one. In London he hit upon the profession to which he was predestined, that of the actor, who plays on stage at being someone else. His playacting taught him a singular happiness, perhaps the first he had known; but when the last line was applauded and the last corpse removed from the stage, the hated sense of unreality came over him again.

...The story goes that, before or after he died, he found himself before God and he said: “I, who have been so many men in vain, want to be one man: myself.” The voice of God replied from a whirlwind: “Neither am I one self; I dreamed the world as you dreamed your work, my Shakespeare, and among the shapes of my dream are you, who, like me, are many persons—and none.”
Bux, if you read this review, you'll see a lot of The Book of Not Knowing in his writing, but not perfect agreement. You can almost hold a conversation between Borges and Ralston in your head.

The whole book is available on-line for free, which is really cool. Still, it deserves to be read from paper.
http://thefloatinglibrary.com/borges/
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Dreamtigers

Post by Turdacious »

Cool find, thanks. One thing I like about Borges is that, at least for me, he's better the second time through than the first.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Dreamtigers

Post by buckethead »

Just now stumbling upon this. I have ordered it from Amazon