Sherlock on PBS/BBC

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Sherlock on PBS/BBC

Post by Bram »

Been a new episode the past few weeks on PBS, very good modern version of Sherlock Holmes
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Sassenach
ironslinger

Re: Sherlock on PBS/BBC

Post by Sassenach »

I haven't caught any of series 2 yet, but I rathered enjoyed series 1.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I saw episodes 2/3, loved it, have to track down episode 1 but I have weak computer access :(
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

From what i hear the PBS versions are fucked with and edited somehow. Find the BBC versions.

Those cocksuckers do the same shit to Downton Abbey.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Netflix streaming knee grows!
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Only for series 1, EZ.

PBS is currently replaying series 2. Have caught the first. Did it bug anyone else the total shift form the end of the third episode of series 1 to the first episode of series 2? I mean, WTF happened with shooting the bomb etc? HELLO!!!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Oops. My bad. I'll just wait for them to come to Netflix.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I have this and it is superb...If you ever are in the mood for the original works.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I picked that same book up for a couple of dollars a few years back.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Ed Zachary wrote:Oops. My bad. I'll just wait for them to come to Netflix.
It's probably available via The Box.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Might try Icefilms.info as well. I've had good luck there with my Downton Abbey and Walking Dead problem
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

JamesonBushmill wrote:From what i hear the PBS versions are fucked with and edited somehow. Find the BBC versions.

Those cocksuckers do the same shit to Downton Abbey.
Ain't nobody mess with Downton Abbey. Ain't no one.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Sherlock is great.

I like they way they have redone John Watson, made him a vet that part of him really liked the violence and the killing of war. Neat twist with that.

And the character of Mycroft Holmes is a neat twist.

Cumberbunch does a real good Holmes, I don't even want to watch the Robert Downey shit. These , the ones with Doc Martin's Uncle and the Nigel Rathbone are all I need aside from the books.

I just want to know how this Holmes fakes his death after his showdown with Moriarty.

Once again the Brits do better TV than us, Rome, Life on Mars, Inspector Lewis, Downton Abby, MI-5 good stuff.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

DARTH wrote:I don't even want to watch the Robert Downey shit.
I haven't seen the sequel yet – I think it's available On Demand now – but I thought he & Jude Law were sensational in the first movie. He's a little older, and it's a non-traditional take, but they were terrific.

I was a big fan of Jeremy Brett's portrayal in the British "Sherlock Holmes Mysteries" series, late 80s to early 90s. He did not look like Homes the way Basil Rathbone did, but he captured a ton of essential characteristics better than anyone else ever had. That's also the only series of shows that attempted to directly adapt Conan Doyle's stories, so far as I know. The shows weren't great, but Brett was.

What's different and insightful about Robert Downey's version is that Downey plays him as a rumpled, dissipated adrenalin junkie. And it really works. The relationship with Watson is terrific – I think Jude Law is the best Watson I've ever seen. Tough, pugnacious, funny. The move really plays up the sense of them being roommates, Holmes as the worst goddam roommate ever and Watson as the only guy who could stand him. They have inside jokes and banter and they torture each other.

The movie's plot is really silly. I also wish they'd gotten an older chick to play Irene Adler. I like Rachel McAdams, but she's too young, esp contrasted with Downey. Emma Thompson was the obvious choice. Or if Adler had to be American (she is in the books), then – well who the hell knows. They should've gotten someone closer to Downey's age, though.

But none of that matters. The "star" of the movie is the Holmes-Watson relationship, and the first Downey / Jude Law movie nails that brilliantly. I hope the second is close to as good.

About the series with Bandersnatch Cummerbun – does anyone find the episodes really long and complicated and hard to follow? We really enjoy the first half hour or so of them, but then my eyes glaze over. My wife and stepdaughter both think Cummerbund is handsome, so we Tivo all the episodes. They are witty and well done, and I like the various translations to modern day, but man I cannot get all the way thru any of them.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I thought game of shadows looked nice, but didn't capture my interest, maybe lasted 10 minutes

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Game of Shadows was entertaining, but the first movie was better.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

DARTH wrote: Once again the Brits do better TV than us-- Life on Mars.
I saw the US Life on Mars first, then the Brit version. Theirs is 10x better. At least they haven't tried to fuck up Dr. Who yet.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule