The Leftovers

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

The Leftovers

Post by Dirt McGirt »

Anyone else catch this? I watched it on HBOgo while on a treadmill and thought it was OK, but largely 'meh'...

The thing I like it about it, as compared to other 'rapture fiction,' is that it's only 2% of people. With only 2% of folks gone, the world *really* shouldn't skip a beat, logistically. It's not like there is noone left to work at Wal-Mart, or whatever.

But, on the other hand, if 2% of people up and disappeared, you would freak the fuck out; so, I am guessing that the show is more about the social upheaval and less about how/why the people are gone. For now.

Again, was OK, but everything looks like shit after True Detective, I guess.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: The Leftovers

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Dirt McGirt wrote:Anyone else catch this? I watched it on HBOgo while on a treadmill and thought it was OK, but largely 'meh'...
I like it, but it can be depressing. And they've certainly had a few moments with violence where they're playing to win -- some people are going to get turned off by the graphic stuff.
The thing I like it about it, as compared to other 'rapture fiction,' is that it's only 2% of people. With only 2% of folks gone, the world *really* shouldn't skip a beat, logistically. It's not like there is noone left to work at Wal-Mart, or whatever.

But, on the other hand, if 2% of people up and disappeared, you would freak the fuck out; so, I am guessing that the show is more about the social upheaval and less about how/why the people are gone. For now.
This past episode they drove that shit home. It's not about the event, it's about how people deal with it. And capturing people's desire to not think about it, while others take the position, "What the fuck else is there to think about?!" is pretty cool. Very smartly done.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Crusader?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I stopped watching because it's a terrible show.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I just watched the first episode last night on a friend's recommendation. We're no longer friends.
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

So, I guess the above was a little prophetic on my part, but now it is pissing me off how there is really no explanation or story development of 'the event.'

Also, is it just me, or is the 'Guilty Remnant' the dumbest-ass, and most contradictory, cult to be romanticized in modern fiction?

The show has mostly been downhill, and here's another spoiler alert: I was so bent out of shape about ignoring why the people disappeared that I snagged the book to see if it gave the 'why' away, and the book sucks worse than the show.

I will say that the silver lining continues to be whether the sheriff is crazy/high/possessed/angelic, etc...