American Muscle

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

American Muscle

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Mike Barwis, of Barwis Methods, new series on Discovery Channel.

Entertaining, meathead shit. Tank Dog used to live a block away from me when I was in the Sagnasty.

Cave Canem

Re: American Muscle

Post by Cave Canem »

I made it through about 20 minutes and had to shut it down. I guess I was expecting something else. Tired of this dumbass "reality" shit.
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

It's almost hometown shit for me. I was struck by how Barwis could get away with some of that stuff because he's a big name.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone »

I watched the first one and wondered if anyone else here was checking it out.

It was probably one of the worst shows I have ever watched. But then, I will probably check out one or 2 more, if they make it that long.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I felt that "Vladdy" should have cut about 10# of fat from him. I am pretty sure both Defranco and back when James "Thinker" Smith did combine prep they emphasized a better power to weight ratio.

I can see why folks thought it was bad. I kind of liked it.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

no

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

God I love that car.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

That is a very nice ride indeed.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

This dude's voice is so fucking annoying. I caught about 10 minutes of the "hypertrophy" episode (with Richard Sherman) on the plane this past weekend. Hypertrophy uttered no less than a thousand times over the 10 minutes.

"we're doing hypertrophy today"
"really doe, hypertrophy?"
"yeah nigga, hypertrophy"
"I hate doin hypertrophy"

Fuck this show
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Second show was fucking garbage.

If that's how those fucking clowns act, holy shit, what a pack of dipshits.

The only interesting thing was watching Suh casually hang clean 345 like it was nothing.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

3rd episode wasn't bad, wasn't great, but wasn't bad.

Movement quality is crap. Even Defranco can't resist talking a bit of shit about it on Facebook.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Also, you can't just test your clients abilities to do work without having built them up to do that work. I think he doesn't come anywhere near living up to his hype.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Cave Canem wrote:I made it through about 20 minutes and had to shut it down. I guess I was expecting something else. Tired of this dumbass "reality" shit.
One of my friends worked building sets, etc., on that Tommy Lee Jones-Goes-To-UNL reality show awhile back - and he confirmed that "there is nothing more scripted and contrived than a "reality" show".

BTW - one of the many things he did on that show was helping to build a "dorm room" set in a building many many miles from the Lincoln campus. Apparently the dorms on the campus didn't look "dormy" enough.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I'm on episode 2.

A couple thoughts:

I like Barvis, at first his voice was getting to me. "Hypertrophy, hypertrophy." I've been walking around saying it like him.

It's funny that they are constantly drinking Gatorade and munching cookies and doughnuts, and handing them to the clientele as well.

Solid atmosphere in the gym, great camaraderie and intensity.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

My old training partner was working as a bartender and I was drinking free beer when Tank Dog came in. We were talking training and he said "You fellas wouldn't even make it through the warm up." We laughed, because at the time we were doing a fuckton of the heavy conditioning shit I'd thought up. Glad to see I was vindicated...given the stuff I've seen on the show, we would have done just fine.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:My old training partner was working as a bartender and I was drinking free beer when Tank Dog came in. We were talking training and he said "You fellas wouldn't even make it through the warm up." We laughed, because at the time we were doing a fuckton of the heavy conditioning shit I'd thought up. Glad to see I was vindicated...given the stuff I've seen on the show, we would have done just fine.
You think? At some point in the warm-up in one of the episodes there was 200 crunches straight after a whole bunch of other crap, then I think weights, plyos, then shuttle runs and suicide sprints for over 90 minutes total.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Let's see...a sample of training from that time.

Parisis Warm Up

Back Squat
Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats
Push Presses

Conditioning Circuit...at least 20 minutes, usually 30. Prowler, battling ropes, kettlebells, sprints in the Woodway treadmill, core work, etc.

Jumpstretch stretching routine for cool down

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I don't have a copy of the Parisi warm-up and can't remember if I've looked through the Jump Stretch routine, but that seems tolerable. Perhaps the editing makes it seem like it's more than it is. Thanks for sharing, interesting.