Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Battered Bastards of Baseball

Post by Turdacious »

Netflix documentary about the Portland Mavericks, an independent baseball team based in Portland for a few years during the 70's that was a thorn in the side of MLB. Think a documentary that's about a team that's a cross between Bad News Bears and Semi-Pro. It has a strong PNW vibe. It's not 30 by 30 quality, it's still probably watchable for non baseball fans. The first 15 minutes or so drag quite a bit, but it picks up after that. I enjoyed it.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Battered Bastards of Baseball

Post by TerryB »

Yeah, sounds good. Esoteric, not 30 by 30 quality, only "probably watchable" for normal people, and starts off boring as fuck.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

What about 30 For 30 quality? Is it in that range?

I'm interested in anything that has a real life Bad News Bears resemblance. Will watch soon.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

baffled wrote:What about 30 For 30 quality? Is it in that range?

I'm interested in anything that has a real life Bad News Bears resemblance. Will watch soon.
The first part is slow and does nothing to hook you-- you have to suffer through it. The main part of the story is not as tightly edited as a 30 for 30 production, but the story is great. With the 30 for 30 stuff, I pretty much knew the plots because I'm a sports fan; with this I didn't know how it was going to go or end (and I used to live in Portland). Also, they do a good job of capturing the local flavor.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

T>1200 wrote:Yeah, sounds good. Esoteric, not 30 by 30 quality, only "probably watchable" for normal people, and starts off boring as fuck.
Your reading comprehension is definitely improving.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I worry about you two.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"