Anova immersion circulator

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
milosz

Anova immersion circulator

Post by milosz »

Jumped on the sous vide bandwagon - it's pretty much cheating to do a nice thick ribeye at 131F for a couple of hours then sear it on cast iron real quick. Boiled eggs will never be the same, even carrots/asparagus/etc. are fucking delicious.

I got the Anova before the latest round were announced - works great, the touch screen isn't quite as sensitive as it should be, temp is off one degree from my ThermaPen reading but I haven't bothered calibrating it down that degree.

I'm going to pick up one of the next-gens that should be coming soon so I can cook protein and vegetables at the same time.

Topic author
milosz

Re: Anova immersion circulator

Post by milosz »

I also ordered a Searzall because fuck yeah.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHU9ZsCKssE[/youtube]

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Wirecutter reviewed these, or thesweethome (same site owners) did. I remember when Tim Ferriss linked to a "new" kickstarter for a home sous vide, and there were already two on the market, both better.

Anova's supposed to be a great product. I've had sous vide steaks in restaurants a couple times, it's different but very good.

You can sous vide a steak in a cooler with just hot water with great results, though I've never tried it personally.

Never seen the Searzal, that is pretty sweet.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Soeone at work has the original anova and did a potluck chciken fajita with it. I did the kickstarter campaign for eh next anova product. Hopefully before too long, I can sous vide me some beef.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

The new Anova, they swear, will be ready end of Oct. Smaller (2.5 lbs). The clamp now loosens so you can put the thing in tall or short containers. Has bluetooth so you can say, oh, "carrots," click on your phone and the Anova will do the do. $169. Pretty cool. Now I have to wait...

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I don't care for carrots, personally.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"