TSA Global Entry/precheck

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

TSA Global Entry/precheck

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

In exchange for giving the gubmint the right to run a background check and take fingerprints, you get a separate check-in line at the airport without the shoe removal/jacket off/unpack tech or liquids. Coming back on international flights, skip customs line and use a kiosk. Also skip paperwork on plane.

$100 for five years, some credit cards or frequent flyer programs reimburse it. Have to do a brief interview at the airport (under 10 minutes). Global Entry comes with precheck, or you can get precheck separately for less $.

Pretty much rules. Went through security for an internatonal flight on a fairly busy day in 5 minutes. About the same for customs coming back. This is a pretty huge time savings for frequent travelers.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Re: TSA Global Entry/precheck

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Have not done Global Entry but do Precheck a lot when I fly the airline I use most. It's a sweet time and hassle saving program.

On some airlines, you can purchase Precheck with your tickets. I know someone who recently booked a package to Disney and Precheck came with it. I don't know what it says about security when you can just buy your way around some of supposedly important security measures but it makes life a lot easier.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I do the equivalent in the country where I live though it's free here. Returning to the country, you get to skip the 100+ person line for immigration/customs and step into a kiosk for 2 minutes.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Only the current administration could come up with something this stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Like DrDL said...you can just buy your way around "important security measure"...stupid for security purposes and just illustrates what a retarded fuck up TSA is.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Like DrDL said...you can just buy your way around "important security measure"...stupid for security purposes and just illustrates what a retarded fuck up TSA is.
Terrorists could never afford the $100.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Phaedrus wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Like DrDL said...you can just buy your way around "important security measure"...stupid for security purposes and just illustrates what a retarded fuck up TSA is.
Terrorists could never afford the $100.
Given the information they collect, I don't think it's a problem. They also don't abandon security measures, you just don't have to remove shoes and jacket, and they don't give it to everyone who applies. There's probably a reverse-profiling component.

Precheck is pre-9/11 security with a very short line for low-risk passengers. Given post-9/11 security is stupid, this is an effective workaround.

Global entry is more intrusive (fingerprint scanner & photo taken at kiosk) but much faster if there's any line at immigration.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Have not done Global Entry but do Precheck a lot when I fly the airline I use most. It's a sweet time and hassle saving program.

On some airlines, you can purchase Precheck with your tickets. I know someone who recently booked a package to Disney and Precheck came with it. I don't know what it says about security when you can just buy your way around some of supposedly important security measures but it makes life a lot easier.
False. On some airlines you are randomly assigned pre-check and on others you can pay to be put in the first class line. But you are not given the ability to randomly or occasionally purchase Precheck.

I fly about 100,000-150,000 miles a year, and this was the best hundred bucks and three hours of registration time I've ever spent. I made it through security at JFK this morning in about 90 seconds.

The registration process is a cluster fuck of government bureaucracy, but if you spend any time on the road and in airports it is invaluable.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Have not done Global Entry but do Precheck a lot when I fly the airline I use most. It's a sweet time and hassle saving program.

False. On some airlines you are randomly assigned pre-check and on others you can pay to be put in the first class line. But you are not given the ability to randomly or occasionally purchase Precheck.

I fly about 100,000-150,000 miles a year, and this was the best hundred bucks and three hours of registration time I've ever spent. I made it through security at JFK this morning in about 90 seconds.

The registration process is a cluster fuck of government bureaucracy, but if you spend any time on the road and in airports it is invaluable.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

lasalle wrote:

When my wife and family recently flew as part of a package, no one was a frequent flyer and they all went through the pre-check line. It's possible that the group was tagged for pre-check. I purchased preferred access on USAirlines this summer and was assigned to the pre-check line. I have a frequent flyer account w/USAirlines but have no status with them. I could be conflating coincidences into a false pattern.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
lasalle wrote:

When my wife and family recently flew as part of a package, no one was a frequent flyer and they all went through the pre-check line. It's possible that the group was tagged for pre-check. I purchased preferred access on USAirlines this summer and was assigned to the pre-check line. I have a frequent flyer account w/USAirlines but have no status with them. I could be conflating coincidences into a false pattern.
Low risk travelers can be randomly assigned. My folks occasionally get it. Usually helps if somebody is over 65 and it's a family.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
lasalle wrote:

Low risk travelers can be randomly assigned. My folks occasionally get it. Usually helps if somebody is over 65 and it's a family.
Yes-it's a weird deal. My 14 year old son often gets the precheck pass added. Wife never does. And occasionally I'll see the TSA take people out of the longer line and throw them in to precheck. (Which pisses me off.)

Net is that if you fly more than a few times a year, it's completely worth the effort of getting a precheck number.