American Sniper

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

American Sniper

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Just finished the book. It was good, very descriptive of the action. However, I felt that Chris Kyle came off as kind of a pompous ass. There was a lot of "I" and "me" in the book and when he did acknowledge the work of others it rang hollow, at least to me, for the most part. There were several people to whom he referred where that was not the case.

Either way, I would suggest reading it and respect the hell out of anybody willing to lay their life on the line for America. I will probably see the movie as well.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: American Sniper

Post by dead man walking »

movie is ok.

kyle is portrayed as a genuine guy who cares. the domestic bits about wife and homelike are simple and repetitive, but serve the story. the scenes in iraq are intense, dramatic.

it's worth a watch.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Is this the one with that cgi raccoon??

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

yes
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Overhyped and mediocre at best. I almost fell asleep during it. The domestic scenes are out of an Oprah/Lifetime playbook. The action scenes are limited. A couple of scenes may have seemed fucked up a few years ago but are almost standard routine now.
Bradley Cooper was one dimensional. I don't understand all the nominations this thing has gotten.
It's a good movie to wait for on HBO or Netflix. Watch it while you're on an exercise bike or C2 rower.

The best part was the "holiday" discount.
Tantum validus superstes

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Cave Canem wrote:Overhyped and mediocre at best. I almost fell asleep during it. The domestic scenes are out of an Oprah/Lifetime playbook. The action scenes are limited. A couple of scenes may have seemed fucked up a few years ago but are almost standard routine now.
Bradley Cooper was one dimensional. I don't understand all the nominations this thing has gotten.
It's a good movie to wait for on HBO or Netflix. Watch it while you're on an exercise bike or C2 rower.

The best part was the "holiday" discount.
I plan to.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I didn't care for the book or Chris Kyle so I'd rather see Foxcatcher.

vern

Post by vern »

I'll wait for Netflix so I can fast forward the domestic drama.

This is the best way to watch We Were Soldiers too BTW.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

One thing I've noticed in just the few days the movie has been out...there's a number of people in my small circle of friends/acquaintances that have gone to see this and spoke highly of it that would never see any movie based on anything military/war etc. Not because they're anti-whatever, just some people don't dig violent movies. You've got grandmas going to see this movie. I know a few people who NEVER go to a movie and they went to this one. Compelling story? Sure. Great marketing? Definitely. The one thing that still bothers me about this book/movie is all that other "stuff" that everyone went wtf? on that was way way out there but couldn't be verified and seemed to not make any sense. All that seems to be forgotten. Remember that line from "American Beauty"...never underestimate the power of denial. We love us some heros.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

It's almost a perfect storm of a movie to draw out people who are willing and able to spend coin on a flick. The right wing overtones and jingoistic military themes are enough to draw out the conservative crowd who are thirsting for some much needed counter programming to the Cultural Marxism that seems to be pervading this country. Tired of blacks with their hands out complaining about unfair treatment and burning down neighborhoods? Tired of gamer gaters and their "end the Patriarchy" speeches about how gender is socially constructed, nothing is true, everything is permitted? Well, here's a story about a white guy that loved Jesus and went to war to "protect our freedoms and liberty" and was damn good at putting lead into jihadis. It's macho beyond all fucking hell even without Clint Fucking Eastwood directing it. He's taken on an almost reverent status these days and anything he touches has the White Folks Nation gold stamp of must-see approval. Bradley Cooper is a hot property that hits on a lot of cylinders for this type of flick. He's not exactly Rambo, but he has that cool likeability that makes him tolerant to most hetero guys and it's no secret that about 90% of women want to tongue his ballsack. Also, being released around the holidays didn't hurt as it tends to be a time when people reflect on the past and what's important...I think this flick plugs into that particular zeitgeist with most white folks.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

buckethead wrote:Is this the one with that cgi raccoon??
I love that movie! I've watched it about a dozen times and still laugh every time.

"What's a raccoon??"

"It's what you are, stupid!"
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

T>1200 wrote:
buckethead wrote:Is this the one with that cgi raccoon??
I love that movie! I've watched it about a dozen times and still laugh every time.

"What's a raccoon??"

"It's what you are, stupid!"
Have you seen Paddington yet?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Shapecharge wrote:One thing I've noticed in just the few days the movie has been out...there's a number of people in my small circle of friends/acquaintances that have gone to see this and spoke highly of it that would never see any movie based on anything military/war etc. Not because they're anti-whatever, just some people don't dig violent movies. You've got grandmas going to see this movie. I know a few people who NEVER go to a movie and they went to this one. Compelling story? Sure. Great marketing? Definitely. The one thing that still bothers me about this book/movie is all that other "stuff" that everyone went wtf? on that was way way out there but couldn't be verified and seemed to not make any sense. All that seems to be forgotten. Remember that line from "American Beauty"...never underestimate the power of denial. We love us some heros.
Great men can be complicated people. For some reason we go all in on hero or villain.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Luke

Post by Luke »

This movie's performance was very odd to me. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was amazing. Cooper portrayed the Kyle I imagined in the book very well. However the overall flow of the movie seemed out of joint at times. Stranger still, some hipsters I've come across who I would expect to pan it, praised it.

And of course there's this: http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/americ ... er-workout

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I thought it was a sad movie. Kyles real life struggle was easily recognizable and familiar to me. I remember being that distant to family and friends. Not talking. Not wanting the real world to intrude on my life or my thoughts. Not being able to deal with shit.

I admire him for his overcoming and his willingness to help anyone who needed it. And he saved a lot of lives, an unbelievable amount.

I had nightmares off and on all week.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."