Great Lakes gelatin

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Great Lakes gelatin

Post by syaigh »

So, one of my clients was taking this for nail and hair health and asked me if it could be part of her overall protein intake. So, I looked it up. Apparently, there's not a lot of research, but collagen protein has been used in ICU patients to help prevent muscle wasting.

Anyway, I looked a little more into it and saw that a lot of folks take collagen protein as a joint supplement. It is rich in glycine, but not BCAAs.

This brand and type in particular dissolves in liquid and does not gel and is virtually tasteless (unless you mix it with just water in which case you get a slight hint of burnt hair).

I've been taking it for two months and have noticed some dramatic improvements in my overall joint pain and feelings of "fragility". To be clear, I have always had a problem with exagerrated DOMS and joint pain to the point that any changes in volume, intensity, or exercise selection would make me very very sore. As you can imagine, crossfit just about broke me. I started taking creatine two years ago and found that it helped with my post workout soreness, but still felt "fragile", ie I don't like to jump or make sudden movements because it hurts. Since taking the gelatin (2 tbspns once a day) I have found that I no longer feel "fragile" and regular movement doesn't hurt. I have recently been going on some long bike rides and hikes with my kids and ordinarily these would leave me pretty sore. I've found that I'm not actually sore at all.

I've tried glycine and taurine alone as well as a few other supplements without a lot of noticeable benefit. The gelatin has made a big difference for me mainly in recovery and general well-being.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Great Lakes gelatin

Post by TerryB »

Winstrol could be drying out your joints.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Ive been meaning to pick this up to try it.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

syaigh wrote:Image

So, one of my clients was taking this for nail and hair health and asked me if it could be part of her overall protein intake. So, I looked it up. Apparently, there's not a lot of research, but collagen protein has been used in ICU patients to help prevent muscle wasting.

Anyway, I looked a little more into it and saw that a lot of folks take collagen protein as a joint supplement. It is rich in glycine, but not BCAAs.

This brand and type in particular dissolves in liquid and does not gel and is virtually tasteless (unless you mix it with just water in which case you get a slight hint of burnt hair).

I've been taking it for two months and have noticed some dramatic improvements in my overall joint pain and feelings of "fragility". To be clear, I have always had a problem with exagerrated DOMS and joint pain to the point that any changes in volume, intensity, or exercise selection would make me very very sore. As you can imagine, crossfit just about broke me. I started taking creatine two years ago and found that it helped with my post workout soreness, but still felt "fragile", ie I don't like to jump or make sudden movements because it hurts. Since taking the gelatin (2 tbspns once a day) I have found that I no longer feel "fragile" and regular movement doesn't hurt. I have recently been going on some long bike rides and hikes with my kids and ordinarily these would leave me pretty sore. I've found that I'm not actually sore at all.

I've tried glycine and taurine alone as well as a few other supplements without a lot of noticeable benefit. The gelatin has made a big difference for me mainly in recovery and general well-being.
Was this before or after your 'bowel issues'?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Ben Greenfield has talked about it on his podcast (which is probably why Shaf is so interested). I think he said that bone broth would be better though the supplement is certainly more convenient. I thought that I remembered him saying that Asprey's product was slightly better (probably an affiliate link on his webpage) but this brand was something that he used on a fairly regular basis.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Phaedrus wrote: Was this before or after your 'bowel issues'?
For fuck's sake, I'm an old woman. Bowel issues are the least of my worries.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I used this a few years ago but don't remember any outstanding benefits. I've been wanting to give it another go.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Greenfield is everything wrong with the fitness industry condensed into one easy to despise package

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Phaedrus wrote: bone broth would be better though the supplement is certainly more convenient.
If you don't like to put in the work to get your bone broth, you should at least acknowledge that on your dating profile.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Greenfield is everything wrong with the fitness industry condensed into one easy to despise package
Yes x 1 gajillion
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

baffled wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Greenfield is everything wrong with the fitness industry condensed into one easy to despise package
Yes x 1 gajillion
I had never heard of this guy. What is the beef with him? Genuinely curious.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Think of every fitness "fad" you've heard of. Now, picture a fellow who has combined them all into an Unholy Blend of Goofy Fucking Mercola Bulletproof Bullshit.

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Ah. I see he sells magic bracelets.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I can't stand his stupid fucking voice, either.

He's maybe the most annoying fitness personality out there. His obstacle racing podcast (and his dipshit partner on that show) makes me want to break my phone.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

One thing I note with throwing 2 tbsp of gelatin in a drink in the morning is a bit of an appetite suppression effect

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Phaedrus wrote: Was this before or after your 'bowel issues'?
It's a suppository?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

In Geoff Neupert's 24 Hour Diet, he uses coffee with coconut oil and gelatin.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

i'm trying this. nothing noteworthy to report so far.

i think they derive the collagen protein in part from south american beef hides. if it doesn't work as advertised, you could try to reconstitute the stuff and make a pair of huarache sandals out of it
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Tonight I had bone marrow bruschetta served with two bone halves and I had to scrape the middle and spread on toast points. It was so fucking good I came a little.

Fuck powdered gelatin

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

People made fun of me for drinking Arm & Hammer but Shaf gets a pass on so-called appetite suppressing effects of gelatin???

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin