Lap of Love in-home euthanasia for pets

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Lap of Love in-home euthanasia for pets

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

We had to put one of our dogs down today. She'd had cancer last year and had her spleen removed, but the cancer is malignant about 75% of the time, as it was here. So she started getting sick a few weeks ago and it's extremely aggressive.

The short version is my wife really didn't want to take the dog to the vet for this (dog hates going to the vet), and we found out there are in-home options. More expensive (2x), but easier on the dog and family.

The vets who do this tend to do it exclusively, so they're pros about navigating the process. Nice lady, very considerate.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: Lap of Love in-home euthanasia for pets

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:We had to put one of our dogs down today. She'd had cancer last year and had her spleen removed, but the cancer is malignant about 75% of the time, as it was here. So she started getting sick a few weeks ago and it's extremely aggressive.

The short version is my wife really didn't want to take the dog to the vet for this (dog hates going to the vet), and we found out there are in-home options. More expensive (2x), but easier on the dog and family.

The vets who do this tend to do it exclusively, so they're pros about navigating the process. Nice lady, very considerate.

We did the same for a cat about three years ago, and would do it again when it's time for our current and future pets to shuffle off. It was a very good choice for the cat, and for us.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

This sounds like a good idea. Kind of like hospice for pets in a sense.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Good & useful info Spells.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

We did the same thing with the last dog we had to euthanize, but our normal clinic was able to send out a doctor to do it. It made it a lot easier to give the old boy a good last day.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

GS, sorry for your loss. It's a tough deal. My first Airedale had his spleen removed; I only got one more year with him.

And, yes, in home euthanasia is a good way to go. Dying is stressful enough without going to the doggy hospital.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:GS, sorry for your loss. It's a tough deal. My first Airedale had his spleen removed; I only got one more year with him.
Yeah, we got seven months, including some really good months. Dogs bounce back from surgery incredibly well.

I didn't know the in-home thing was so common. I don't know how the hell somebody does that for a living, but I'm glad they do.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:We had to put one of our dogs down today. She'd had cancer last year and had her spleen removed, but the cancer is malignant about 75% of the time, as it was here. So she started getting sick a few weeks ago and it's extremely aggressive.

Sorry for your loss but glad you got to stay home. So much better for everyone.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Might like this service myself when the time comes.

Note to self: purchase realistic dog costume.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Note to self: purchase realistic dog costume.
LOL
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

=D>
DrDonkeyLove wrote:Might like this service myself when the time comes.

Note to self: purchase realistic dog costume.