Citizen Four

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Citizen Four

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Regardless of what you think of Snowden, this is pretty extraordinary. The documentary starts with the earliest communications before even meeting him.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Citizen Four

Post by Shapecharge »

I watched it I think the Monday after it won the Oscar for best documentary. I have struggled to talk about this whole "Snowden" thing with much intelligence. He certainly did this knowing that his life would never be the same...and this not being on the postive end of the scale. I would agree, his actions were extraordinary...whether this is extraordinarily good or bad depends.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I would agree, his actions were extraordinary
I meant the film. Actually having the first meeting with Greenwald filmed where the other guy from the Guardian is asking Snowden his name is pretty crazy.

His actions, now that we know more about what was going on, I'm actually surprised this didn't come up sooner and more often. If you see the director of NSA lying in front of Congress and you're doing the exact things he says are illegal on C-Span, you are nuts to just go about business as usual. Admiral Lickspittle is not going to jail on that shit, but somebody is.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Snowden is kinda like Sammy the Bull Gravano here.

Yes he confirmed things many thought were going on as per domestic spying, and informed people of some other things going on but he also went to the Chinese and the Russians, 2 nations who are not our friends, are not so Libertine as us and are more than willing to use threats, bribes ect to get intel.

If he went to Switzerland, Iceland, Monaco or some place like that and blew the whistle, he'd be a Goddamn hero, but he went to enemies and so should get a bullet in his fucking face.

This whole "My side has a problem so I'm going to hang with the other side and that will fix it" shit with people is childish at best.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy