Final 7 episodes of Mad Men...

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Final 7 episodes of Mad Men...

Post by Shapecharge »

...starting on Sunday. I am both glad and sad...glad to watch what is perhaps, for me anyway, some of the best television I've ever seen and sad that it's going to be over. I like every single thing about this show and I will most definitely be bummed when it's over.

Cayenne

Re: Final 7 episodes of Mad Men...

Post by Cayenne »

Predictions?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Cayenne wrote:Predictions?

I've seen stuff online where folks predict Don Draper is D.B. Cooper. That sounds too wacky. I think, in line with the marketing-psychologist's prediction when Don had just separated from Betty, that he'll, "be married again within a year", he will marry another trophy wife or, keeping with the times, just live with her, and she'll be the first of several that he'll cycle through every few years over the rest of his life, especially now that he is rich. (They can't show his whole life but they can show a trajectory that suggests this is how he'll continue...like he hooks up with a new gal and just as that relationship is firming up, you see him start flirting with the next conquest, etc.)

Not sure what happens with his alcoholism and deep scars from his terrible childhood. I think he's too old by the 70s and of a different generation than the Baby Boomers to get into recovery or some New Age EST-like human potential work. Instead I think he becomes even more of a functional alcoholic who is increasingly estranged from his children b/c of his alcoholism and his inability to be truly self-aware. Instead he escapes with sex and stays anesthetized during most of his waking hours.

Peggy becomes one of the first women giants of the ad industry, a renowned creative director.

I think now that Roger and Jane are done with each other and now that Roger is getting older, he completely embraces that he just wants to be happy. He and Joan become involved, Roger gets to be the "father" of his son and they actually live happily ever after.

Meagen, chasing her acting, goes from wannabe to never-was and ends up taking some kind of "life of quiet desperation" job just to survive and put food on the table.

Ken Cosgrove becomes a successful writer whose cabin burns down and, in a desperate search for meaning in life, becomes the moderator of a web site called, "TheBadPlace".

Pete transmogrifies into a completely sick fuck.

Pretty sure pretty close to none of the above will come to pass which is why I have such great respect for these writers.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

A lot going on in the first of the last seven episodes. It's in the early spring of '70 since Don had on the tv when Nixon announced a 150,000 troop drawdown in Vietnam.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I really need to start watching this. Are all seasons available on Netflix or on On Demand Time Warner Cable?