Buried Dreams

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Buried Dreams

Post by Gene »

Buried Dreams is a book about serial killer John Wayne Gacy. Gacy murdered over thirty young men for sexual pleasure.

Tim is really good at dragging the reader through Gacy's sick fucking mind. Tim drags you along with Gacy on his night journeys for prey. You get to watch him bully and manipulate young men into his sex games. Tim takes you into Gacy's bedroom and into the crawlspace where he buried some of his victims.

You read about Gacy's cynical political games, his memberships in civic organizations, his "energy'. An energy that was turned to evil, cruelty, sadism, pointless waste of people for his sick needs.

I couldn't read more than a chapter at a time. Tim is that good at putting Gacy's illness, lies and bullshit into your face and space.

Tim should write more of this kind of work, if he can stand it.
Don't like yourself too much.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Buried Dreams

Post by buckethead »

I love tim

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Thanks Gene. I wrote that book btwn 1981 to 83, as I recall. My first book. National best seller. I think it is very good and I'm proud of it. But I spent 3 years researching it. 60 hours of interview and 3 years in the sewer of that man's mind. And it was not good for me psychologically. Maybe cost me my marriage.

Afterwards, every Jeffrey Dahmer whack job that came down the pike, they wanted me to write about that. I chose to write about outdoor adventure instead. Didn't get as rich as I could have. But I lived a cleaner and healthier life. I'm 71 now and think I made a good decision.

Oh, and the fuck sued me. 10 million he wanted. Cuz I had defamed him and caused him to get convicted of murder. But the book came out in 84. He was convicted in 80. The judge also said that if I had done him this harm, he'd brought suit in the wrong court. I was on to other things, but John was in jail and had nothing to do but hate me and bring suit in the proper court. But before he could, he was executed.

Nowadays, if anyone ever says, "I'll sue you," I look them in the eye so they know I'm telling the truth and I say, in my best Clint Eastwood whisper, "The last guy who tried that is dead."

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Oh, if you want to take a look, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Buried-Dreams-Ins ... geNumber=7

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

the reviews bounce all over. I like that.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Pretty well-written book. I put it down because I didn't want all that shit rattling around in my head.

Tim, I sympathize. That stuff is hard to shake.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I admire the hell out of the research and the writing but I gotta ask, why?

Not being critical I just cannot imagine doing or wanting to do anything like that.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Gene wrote:Buried Dreams is a book about serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

Gacy murdered over thirty young men for sexual pleasure....evil, cruelty, sadism, pointless waste of people for his sick needs.
Perhaps the book lacked balance. Could have dwelled more on Gacy's good deeds.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

bennyonesix wrote:I admire the hell out of the research and the writing but I gotta ask, why?

Not being critical I just cannot imagine doing or wanting to do anything like that.
Because I didn't think it had been done before. I was an ambitious young journalist and might have been a couple of years ahead of the serial killer curve.

In fact, it was a national best seller. In those days, you had a best seller, you could write your own ticket on the next book. And that was a collection of my outdoor stuff, which sold well, but wasn't a BEST seller. Ironically, Buried Dreams launched my career as an outdoor/travel writer.