I like it quite a bit.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Into The Badlands

Post by baffled »

Okay, you fucking faggots, obviously none of you could peel yourselves away from whatever Glee marathon or other glitter soaked shows you like. Let me give you some knowledge.

It's set in some sort of feudal land called... the Badlands. The society resulted due to some sort of awful wars that tore everything apart until these 7 barons came about and offered protection, which eventually led to servitude. Each baron runs their land that controls a resource of some sort, like poppy fields, oil wells or something else. They train armies of assassin-soldiers called Clippers that are insane martial artists.

A little intrigue, some awesome fight choreography (especially for television), and one or two lasses that give me the tingles makes for a show Baff likes to watch.
- Buck Brannaman

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

So basically it's Game of Thlones?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I've only seen the first episode.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware »

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:So basically it's Game of Thlones?
That got a legit lol. Well played.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Watched the first episode. It didn't grab me enough to watch it again. I thought the choreography was decent. I thought the premise of all these people running around kung fu fighting was mildly retarded. I mean, the main character rides around on this badass motorcycle, but firearms and gunpowder are beyond their reckoning? And, then there's some kind of supernatural element with the young kid who turns into a Super Saiyan when he gets pissed, or some shit. Oh, and the family intrigue with the father and the son and the doting Lady Macbeth like mother and all the father's concubines and lions and tigers and bears, oh my. They were throwing around an ass load of tropes in that first episode. It just seemed like a patchwork. All this, and then on top of that they seemed to commit the gravest sin of all...failed to deliver a character that I cared about. The main chink dude has the personality of a slug, and everyone else is like a 2D cardboard cutout villain from name any post-Star Wars made for TV sci fi movie. Oh, and the main actor again...what a willowy wristed, chinless slant that guy is. This is the most rugged Asian guy they could dig up? The thought of him as being TEH NUMBA ONE KILLA or whatever takes the believability factor to nil. He'd have a hard time making stir fry, much less mowing through gangs of post-apocalyptic red shirts.

So, there's your discussion. It's not the worst thing on TV, by far, but there was nothing there that had me hungry for a second viewing. It really seemed like they cobbled something together to capture the attention of viewers who are dialed into the zeitgeist of post-apocalyptic Walking Dead kind of shit, and the intelligent fantasy of Game of Thrones with all the palace maneuvering and court intrigue with a good bit of martial arts mayhem to keep people awake.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Well, that's all just your opinion.

And The Widow is the character I care about. So... whatever.
- Buck Brannaman

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

So far I'm digging it. The choreography is pretty great and the story line is getting better. Characterization is slow, but happening. Also just to clarify, the reason for no guns isn't that they didn't know how, but that they were outlawed a long time ago.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I'm not watching this.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I'm struggling. This may get dropped.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Holland Oates wrote:I'm struggling. This may get dropped. And today my wife told me I have a tiny dick.
Wait, what?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

It's the only reason she'll do anal.