Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Post by TerryB »

*high five*
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

DARTH wrote:And now our biggest and most knowledgeable fan will chime in, me. ( Hey I beat the fuck out of a chicks live at home in his 30s brother at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit 3 games in a row! Poor guy thought I was some Ju Jutsu asshole trying to fuck his sister - I was - that would not know shit about SW but the films. LOL! fucker should have seen my bookshelf!)

The Force Awakens A New Hope for the Return of the Jedi! I wanted to love it for nothing more than it might be setting up the baddest, most interesting Luke Skywalker ever. I wanted this to be great from the recesses of 38 year old emotions, awe, wonder and understanding. Star wars is my Iliad and Odyssey, this film did not make the grade for me even though as a stand alone film I enjoyed it and there were moments it came close.

That's this movie in a nutshell. I think Lucas was right on Charlie Rose when he said that they wanted to make a Retro blockbuster and he wanted to tell the next chapter.

I expect a generational saga like SW to have repeating motifs, I can buy how in ROTJ they once again faced a Death Star, similarities between each generations problems ect but this was a cut and paste and I blame JJ and think Kershner just held it together from going to complete shit.

Fucking some LAZY writing going on there or it's orders from up high. It was like it was put together by SW fans and that's part of the problem. Lucas knew you don't give fans their wish list, you give them something good, throw them a curveball here and there.

This film was missing one thing most of all and that thing is named George Lucas!

I am a loud "HAN SHOT FIRST!" guy, I'd give him shit on his reason's for changing that and a few other things but it's like off riffs from your favourite band. BFD? Fucker is like Slayer. You can find bands heavier, faster and truly sick in the head but Slayerbabies are only Slayerbabies, you want to hear Slayer play Slayer.

It's his vision, sure he does not always give fans what they want but SW without him at the helm is not SW, it's a story with Star Wars charcters in the SW Universe but it is not Star Wars.

Han Solo dyeing should have made me cry, period. If Tom Baker on a 21st century Doctor Who made me cry tears of joy than Han Solo being murdered by his own son while I sat next to my Sith heir and spare should have choked the shit out of me! Lucas would have made me do that, JJ Abrams can't, he failed and if I was truly Darth I'd Force choke him for his failure! ( Preferably in front of his replacement, tradition and all.)

3 out of 6 stars. All the previous 6 movies are better, IMO though 1 and 2 are only marginally so. ( Darth Maul, Qui Gon, Jango Fett, badassfucking multiJedi and landbattle, Anakin's first lost limb, ect.)

What did I like?

Han Solo as an old man. Ford was not doing a walkthrough, he became Han at 70 who had his world crushed.

Finn ( New Han composite #1) The man is like Han in that he quit the service out of conscience. like him he can be self serving in quiet moments but when a fight is on or a friend is in trouble he's in the fight at the front of it. Like Han he'll take a shot at anyone, fuck their rep.

Poe ( Composie #2) A pilot's pilot's pilot! He is the new Han in that department and he may have a connection to the Force, the new Expanded universe has some hints as well as what you saw.

The aircombat was great, but I wanted more!

I think their characters COULD develop well.

Rey Skywalker. Her personality, her badassness, the way she looked at Luke as she held out his father's weapon and how he looked at her. That threatened some dusty eyes. That's a little girl looking at her daddy and there is much power in that. As good as Ford was, Hamell equalled him in seconds. He's a better actor than most think and in this role that has caused some of his underestimation and typecasting as an actor, I think he might come on real strong in the next film because he sure did at the end of this movie.

Now let's address some things for those who can't buy a clue or think they know Star wars.

Rey has training, she did not just learn it in front of us. She was mindblocked, Force Amnesia. in real life people have amnesia but can remember and retain skills yet not remember how they acquired them. if we gave Geena Davis suspension of disbelief as a Jason Bourne with great legs in The Long Kiss Goodbye we can for Rey in a Space fantasy where she is probably the daughter of Luke. In the tradition of what is not said being said, Kylo Ren and Stimpy will never be as powerful as Darth Vader (but she can!)

Luke wanted her to not give herself away growing up ( like was done with him) but also wanted her to be able to take care of herself.

As for her whipping Kylo ren and Stimpy's ass in the sowrdfight, well besides the above;

The boy was hurt! They made a point (to the point of fucking stupidity! Han would have known years ago) of how powerful Chewie's Bowcaster is (never been fired on film before, always captured Imp weapons in his hands in the other films) and he took it and kept going. He also got in front of Rey and Finn, he was expanding massive energy and mental power to keep going.

And he had orders to capture her, I also believe among his many conflicts is that he knows who she is by this point and he loves her as she is his little cousin. He did not kill her before when he gave her a traumatic Dexter like childhood experience.
Does anybody have an idea what this says?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I guess you have not seen and or you do not grock Star Wars.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Finally saw this - waited to go with girlfriend. Darth has some good points here, but my major complaint was the whole Starkiller Base. Too much there. The storyline should have stayed focused on the opening lines - Luke has vanished and made it all about finding him and the plans. Having the key part of the plans needing to be stolen from Ren and crew would have been good enough and could have led to the same general place (maybe the ensuing battle chases them off back to this Snoke character).

Generally liked the new characters. Was bummed to see HS bite it, but suspected early it was coming.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

DARTH wrote:I guess you have not seen and or you do not grock Star Wars.
No, it's just that I find your unique style of quasi-illiteracy tedious to follow.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

This is out on Starz. Tried to watch it twice yesterday. Could not stay awake. I highly recommend this movie as a great sleep aid.
Tantum validus superstes

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Star Wars was cool when I was 10.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Cave Canem wrote:This is out on Starz. Tried to watch it twice yesterday. Could not stay awake. I highly recommend this movie as a great sleep aid.

Yes, the more I get from the two vewings at the theater, the more I just hate that fucking m,ovie.

Star Wars died when Lucas sold to the rat. Country may die so fuck giving a shit about Star Wars.

It was fun while it lasted.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy