Kokoro Yoga by Mark Devine

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Kokoro Yoga by Mark Devine

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Don't waste your money. Seems like a rushed, half assed effort.

"This was not the best yoga book I've seen. Not the worst , either, though. To me, it appeared rushed...in one spot there is a box that says "ROM Work" with no definition of this or example of what this might actually entail. Maybe the author expects you to have read his other materials and it's in there. The routines and flows he lays out seem fine. If you are a fan of Mark Devine, you will like this. If you are looking for a book to help you with a practice, this might or might not help, depending on you and your current progress."

To be honest, the YRG book is what I judge all practical yoga books on now, unless you're talking about that crazy Anatomy of Hatha Yoga book which is encyclopedic in nature, and this doesn't stand up. No meat to it.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Kokoro Yoga by Mark Devine

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

It's another product for middle-aged men who need the WARRIOR LABEL attached to anything they do to make it seem worthy while avoiding anything in their life that approximates warrior action (which in my book involves risking your life for family and nation...not doing kettlebell yoga or cagefighting). Even more LULZ that he's wearing the ever living fuck out of the modern trope that yoga is somehow connected to ancient warrior culture, or the idea that it's ever been the "go to" physical praxis for fighting men. Ditto that yoga will turn you into some kind of enlightened super being as you TEASE THE SEX COBRA TO CLIMB YOUR SPINE AND ALIGN TEH CHAKRAS...whatever. Yoga is great...it will get you fucking fit...it will make you bendy...any narrative beyond that is a bunch of bullshit. I paged through it at Bookz-a-Soontobeoutofbusiness...it looked like any of two dozen similar books on the market. Learning yoga from a book that you paid for with your hard earned money. Jesus Christ, people...between Youtube and public access television you can't figure this shit out.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Yoga, as practiced today, isn't that old...like maybe 50 years old. Mostly promoted by charlatan gurus who realized they could make money from hippy idiots.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

fUCK. WHAT IS WRONG WITH you people?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

To much slack.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Yes. If it was as easy to follow along with and keep the flow, I would probably use it as much as the DVDs. Plus the other info in the book is very good.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Don't waste your money. Seems like a rushed, half assed effort.

"This was not the best yoga book I've seen. Not the worst , either, though. To me, it appeared rushed...in one spot there is a box that says "ROM Work" with no definition of this or example of what this might actually entail. Maybe the author expects you to have read his other materials and it's in there. The routines and flows he lays out seem fine. If you are a fan of Mark Devine, you will like this. If you are looking for a book to help you with a practice, this might or might not help, depending on you and your current progress."

To be honest, the YRG book is what I judge all practical yoga books on now, unless you're talking about that crazy Anatomy of Hatha Yoga book which is encyclopedic in nature, and this doesn't stand up. No meat to it.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Yoga, as practiced today, isn't that old...like maybe 50 years old. Mostly promoted by charlatan gurus who realized they could make money from hippy idiots.

Even further back it was mixed with a good deal of European gymnastic stretching as well. Military theorist and historian Col J.F.C. Fuller was a huge promoter of Yoga in the UK and played no small part in promoting it to western audiences, but he did put a lot of stuff in it that had no connection with India other than India was once full of Brits

But there is a shit ton of evidence that Yoga like practices were a big part of many Indian warrior's routine, I don;t mind ad copy promoting the linkage if it gets guys out of the "Yoga is for hippies and chicks" mindset but WARRIOR this and that has been old since about 2004. YRG was a huge step in the right direction there because he did not need to promote warriorism, he just found a great way of saying "Men, don't be bitches, try Yoga, it helped me it could help you."

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

The traditions of Indian wrestlers hold more clues to real yoga than most of the claptrap you can find about it

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

The traditions of Indian wrestlers hold more clues to real yoga than most of the claptrap you can find about it

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I've seen vids of the late Herman Suwanda doing, "Indonesian Yoga" or whatever. He holds the postures like planks, "..till God slaps you,..". The idea is to strengthen the ROM. Not unlike Thomas Kurz doing pnf for splits. Develops connective tissue, stabilizes, teaches alignment and you gradually improve. Not, "Hot Vinyasa for Hipster Warriors",.. class. It's boring and tedious.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I've been interested in this for a while.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The traditions of Indian wrestlers hold more clues to real yoga than most of the claptrap you can find about it

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I will have to check this out.
TomFurman wrote:I've seen vids of the late Herman Suwanda doing, "Indonesian Yoga" or whatever. He holds the postures like planks, "..till God slaps you,..". The idea is to strengthen the ROM. Not unlike Thomas Kurz doing pnf for splits. Develops connective tissue, stabilizes, teaches alignment and you gradually improve. Not, "Hot Vinyasa for Hipster Warriors",.. class. It's boring and tedious.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I don't know much about yoga beyond YRG but some marketing person deserves a big thumbs up.
• Cool sounding Asian name....................check
• SEAL reference (3 times)........................check
• Kettlebell shown....................................check
• Maximize your human potential............check
• Develop the spirit of a warrior...............check

How can any guy look at the cover of this book and not take a second look?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Mickey O'neil wrote:I've been interested in this for a while.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The traditions of Indian wrestlers hold more clues to real yoga than most of the claptrap you can find about it
You're so weird, Mickey.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

Lol @ Shaf doing Yoga. Get some pics up comrade, stat!

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Beer Jew wrote:Lol @ Shaf doing Yoga. Get some pics up comrade, stat!
Well,not everyone`s goal in life is being fat.Some want to be able to move and stuff like that.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

TerryB wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I've been interested in this for a while.
You're so weird, Mickey.
Isn`t everyone interested in how indian wrestelers train? Who wouldn`t want teh strempf and endurance of the great Gama?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I have heard 2 other former seals imply Divine is a dipshit with shitty products and he never saw combat operations.