Dr Strange

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Dr Strange

Post by buckethead »

Benedict was awesome. I still love Jennifer Gardner.

Other-dimensional stuff was too "out there". Ruined it.

Fight scenes and tension are impossible to follow if there's no known rules to physics

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Re: Dr Strange

Post by tonkadtx »

I liked it. Decent not great. Cumberbatch was very good. I liked the effects, very Inception like. Marvel cinema has fallen into the trap of a non-compelling or fleshed out villain in a lot of their movies lately. Also,thin plots with holes in them. The main characters always do a good job, the correct beats are there, but the thin plots and villains may hurt them in the end.

Their Netflix shows are killing it though.

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

tonkadtx wrote:
Yeah. Jessica jones is flat out awesome

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I have liked to loved all of the Netflix shows so far. I thought Luke Cage was the weakest, but only because the guy who played King Cobra chewed scenery. Alfre Wooderd and Cotten Mouth were great.

Berenathal doing Ennis' Punisher in the second season of Daredevil nearly made me jump up and down like a 5 year old.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I liked it, but thought the effects were too Inception like. I already saw Inception. Also, if you can reshape buildings, change gravity, etc. couldn't you just squish your adversaries instead of fighting them hand-to-hand in the world's strangest obstacle course?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

buckethead wrote:
tonkadtx wrote:
Yes it is and Daredevil is damn good as well. Scott Glenn has joined Andy in my geezerly fitness pantheon.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It was good.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm going today. If there are no "Hairy Hosts of Hogarth" references, I probably won't give it a good review...

Boris

Post by Boris »

Saw it today - yeah, the new age/Buddhist message stuff was a little much at times, but very well done.

When I first heard that Marvel was doing a Dr. Strange movie, I thought "Uh-oh, this could be awesome or it could be awful." I don't know if I'd say it was awesome, but I liked the comics when I was younger and I thought it was really good.

milosz

Post by milosz »

This was good and about half of it would be even better tripping balls.

The traditional superhero movies other than first Captain America and first Avengers are pretty boring to me but I'm down with this and Guardians of the Galaxy. Fewer whip-pow-zoom incoherent action scenes (at least this time the incoherence had a reason when it did happen).

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

As someone who never read a Dr. Strange comic, I'd rate the movie B-. Marvel made a lot less of this comic-based movie than they did with Ironman/Captain America.

Cumberbatch's character was more interesting before his transformation; After, he was pretty meh, standard action character. There were few clever plot twists and little character development. As actors, Cumberbatch was underused and Ejiofor was criminally wasted. The Other World visuals were pretty cool, but the many fight scenes felt too familiar. And the Evil Force...fuck no.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

johno wrote:As someone who never read a Dr. Strange comic, I'd rate the movie B-. Marvel made a lot less of this comic-based movie than they did with Ironman/Captain America.

Cumberbatch's character was more interesting before his transformation; After, he was pretty meh, standard action character. There were few clever plot twists and little character development. As actors, Cumberbatch was underused and Ejiofor was criminally wasted. The Other World visuals were pretty cool, but the many fight scenes felt too familiar. And the Evil Force...fuck no.
Keep in mind, this is the origin story for Ejiofor's character too. They didn't use his full potential or complete his story because he's going to be the arch-nemesis for Strange next time. They actually made him a more complicated character- in the original, he's ambitous and evil, period. Now, he thinks he's going to save the world because everyone else is wrong.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I'm just happy he's getting a payday.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats