Joe Hill

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Boris

Joe Hill

Post by Boris »

Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. I've been reading his books lately.

20th Century Ghosts was a great collection of short stories - some creepy, some scary, and some just interesting.

NOS4A2 is a disturbing tale about a girl who can summon a psychic bridge to anywhere and ends up finding a serial killer and his henchman on the other side. To me, this read like a Stephen King The Shining mixed with Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes. I was cringing as I read many parts of the book and afterwards felt like I had to read something else to get rid of the aftertaste.

Good stuff if you like creepy-scary.

JimZipCode

Re: Joe Hill

Post by JimZipCode »

Hill is very good. My wife read The Fireman, and my bro-in-law just lent it to me. Hill wrote a novel that was adapted into a movie called Horns, starring Daniel Radcliffe, which is very interesting and fairly good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1528071/

I most know him for an AMAZING comics series he did called Locke and Key:

Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
Vol. 2: Head Games
Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
Vol. 5: Clockworks
Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega

All six volumes collected:

This is the best comic book stuff of the 2010s. Really really great. I'm trying to think what to compare it to? Sort of Stranger Things meets Sandman? No, that doesn't capture it.
Well whatever. Highly, highly recommended if you like graphic novels.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Boris

Re: Joe Hill

Post by Boris »

I just don't read comics anymore like I did when I was younger, but I will try to check those out later today at the bookstore!

I finished Heart-Shaped Box - story of an aging rock star who collects macabre things and buys the suit of a dead-man and finds himself haunted by the previous owner. Really good!