The Handmaid's Tale

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

The Handmaid's Tale

Post by syaigh »

Its good. Kind of dark, way more detailed than the original book. The interesting thing is that the book seemed almost ludicrous (thankfully, of course), but the way the miniseries is done it makes you think about the fact that this actually happened in Afghanistan (google afghanistan in the 70s), it's happening in a lot of these crazy Mormon cults (warren jeffs raping 12 year old with assistance and observers) and there are certainly a lot of elements that exist in Saudi Arabia. And a lot of the non breeding/woman oppressing oriented stuff could and has happened for real in other countries . For example in one scene there was a flashback to a protest where people were protesting about the new laws, and all of a sudden the police turned machine guns on the protesters. Not something you expect in America. But it's interesting to see that fine line being crossed. In some ways it makes me very grateful for the freedoms we have here. In other ways it makes me very sick that there are a lot of people who don't think we should have them anymore.

On a lighter note my husband and I have started greeting each other with "blessed is the fruit" and "may the Lord open". And then we laugh hysterically knowing we would both be sent to the colonies or hanged.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.