Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Montague Urban

Post by Turdacious »

The Urban is Montague's new folding city bike which is head and shoulders better than their old version.

It's a 3x7 full sized folding bike that retails for about $750. There are three different commuter train lines in my area, this meets the size requirements for all of them. I bought it off Amazon and had it assembled for free at a local bike shop.

I had an earlier version that I put over 10k miles on, but this version fixes everything I didn't like about the old one. The bike comes stock with 35mm wide tires (wider tires were a necessary upgrade on the earlier version); an improved folding version that is both more secure and less likely to get caught on your clothes; improved fenders; and a rear rack that doubles as a stand (on the earlier version, you couldn't fold the bike with a rack installed). It weighs about 29lbs and fits on the bike rack I have on the back of my car. It doesn't come with a kickstand, but standard kickstands won't interfere with the folding mechanism.

The only real cons are the seat and grips, both of which you'll need to upgrade if you're riding any distance. The Navigator has notable upgrades for about $200 more.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/urban/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Montague Urban

Post by nafod »

Which way does it fold?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote:Which way does it fold?
A single fold with a pivot point right below the nose of the seat.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Have you take it off any sweet jumps?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Why a folding bike? My local shop has Bromptons, and they're cool, but seem like they're for limited city applications
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm Why a folding bike? My local shop has Bromptons, and they're cool, but seem like they're for limited city applications
They make a split commute possible (commuter train plus bike) possible- I did and sometimes still do a 10 mile each way bike portion and the total trip took about the same amount of total time as driving (and was cheaper). The Brompton is nice for shorter commutes and under desk storage. Also the Brompton price point is one where if it got stolen I'd be really pissed and the Montague isn't.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Yeah, they seem perfect for mixed commute stuff. The full size wheels is a nice feature.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shapecharge wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm Have you take it off any sweet jumps?
This is Turd right here...

Don’t believe everything you think.