Avengers Infinity War

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
JimZipCode

Avengers Infinity War

Post by JimZipCode »

Long! So, so long. We took my 9yo son and 6 of his friends to see the movie, for his birthday. My son, big-time superhero nerd, was rapt. But after 20 mins of previews and ~90 mins of movie, some of the other 8/9yos with us got antsy. And there was still a whole nother hour to go! 3 or 4 of the kids made a few trips to the bathroom, or water fountain, or whatever.

Dark! So, so dark. Scenes of torture, a few deaths. Much darker than many/most (all?) of the Marvel movies have been. Grim and desperate.

Busy. You need a pretty solid sense of who all the heroes are from previous movies, because there is absolutely no extra time to fill you in on anyone's backstory.

Choppy. The ensemble is so huge, they have to cut away to what a different group is doing in another part of the story, like every 2 seconds.

I thought it was great. Epic. Ambitious, well pulled-off. I think I may have loved it? But I have to stop short of "recommending" it, esp to families with kids younger than ~10 or so, due to reasons given above. Not as fun as Thor Ragnarok, or Doc Strange, or even Wonder Woman. That's right, less "fun" than World War One. But yeah, I thought it was great. I was impressed.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Avengers Infinity War

Post by Fat Cat »

So long. Best part of the film was Brolin as Thanos.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Its funny to think that people believe Wakanda is what Africa would be like if there were no European influence in the past.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It was good but long. Ragnarok raised the bar.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:41 pmSo long. Best part of the film was Brolin as Thanos.
Did the kiddo like it? How old?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

He's ten, he liked it okay but I can't say he's mentioned it since.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

tough old man wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm Its funny to think that people believe Wakanda is what Africa would be like if there were no European influence in the past.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Meh. Killing off people who have movies coming up isn't convincing.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I finally saw it a couple nights ago; the night after finally seeing Ragnarok on Netflix.
After Ragnarok, my wife asked, “Would it kill them to spend some money on a good script?”
I’d say the same about Infinity War.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.