Cobra Kai on YouTube Red

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Cobra Kai on YouTube Red

Post by Bram »

First 2 episodes for free, they have a free trial to watch the rest if you sign up (which I cancelled the day after I finished the show so no pay out).

34 years after Karate Kid I with Johnny Lawrence and Daniel Larusso still butting heads.

At first I thought it was corny as fuck with bad acting. But then I thought it was funny and the guy who plays Johnny Lawrence is actually entertaining when he's calling his students pussies and losers. Daniel Larusso is more or less aggravating the whole show and looks like he could be beaten up by a senior citizen in a walker.

And the kids are kinda whatever to annoying (some hot chicks too), but I couldn't stop watching.

8/10 as a huge original Karate Kid fan
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Cobra Kai on YouTube Red

Post by Shapecharge »

I really want to dig this review Bram but I also think you have the original Point Break playing on an endless loop in you house so it kinda messes it up for me. I need a few more reviews to back yours up before I'm all in. Just sayin'.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Last 5 TV shows I got hooked on

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones (all but the most recent season were good)
The Office
Westworld (final couple episodes of Season I riddled with plot holes)
Silicon Valley (stopped watching after Season 3 or so)

Haha, I don't watch much TV. Point Break is of course constantly on.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I loved this series so much I watched it twice. LaRusso (Macchio) does a great job as the straight man-- as a whole, the series does a nice job of mixing saccharine modern characters with blunt (and hilarious) old school ones. Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) steals every scene he's in-- his best line (in the final episode) should be up there with 'sweep the leg' and 'put him in a bodybag Johnny' for all time great lines. While the original movie was primarily about the main characters, this series gives the supporting characters a chance to shine (including the Cobra Kai supporting characters and the kid who plays LaRusso's son). I can't wait for the second season.

My big beef with this series it there wasn't enough of Ed Asner as Johnny's stepfather vs. adult Johnny.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Yeah, the guy who plays Johnny's step-father kills it. A real piece of shit :rock:

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

My 12 year old son and I binge watched this on a Friday night. It was awesome. I loved Johnny's version of how things went down back in the day. That was freaking hilarious.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Shapecharge wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm...but I also think you have the original Point Break playing on an endless loop in you house ...
You say that like it's a bad thing.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

syaigh wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pmI loved Johnny's version of how things went down back in the day. That was freaking hilarious.
Was it anything like this?

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

No mercy bitch!
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

JimZipCode wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm
syaigh wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pmI loved Johnny's version of how things went down back in the day. That was freaking hilarious.
Was it anything like this?

Kind of, only better. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

This and Westworld are the only shows I've managed to get into in the past several years, for precisely the same reasons.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Seasons 2 and 3 (3 just aired on 1/1/21) stayed fun, though not quite as good as Season 1.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Season 2 was pretty weak, but it's picked up a bit in 3. I prefer when it's less high school drama, more rival karate crews.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Jonny's son some high level idiot, I wanted to punch him in the head :)

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Cobra Kai on YouTube Red

Post by Bram »

Half way through Season 5. William Zabka, who plays Johnny Lawrence, is so fucking funny in every scene he’s in. His combination of certainty and ignorance kills me.

The rest of the show is pretty cheesy — it went that route a long time ago — and Ralph Macchio’s Daniel LaRusso is nearly impossible to root for. It matters not. I’ll watch every season as long as Johnny is saying shit like, “They want 4000 pesos…that’s like a million dollars.”