Bill Burr: Paper Tiger

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Dying. This is the funniest goddamn thing.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Bill Burr: Paper Tiger

Post by powerlifter54 »

A very funny dude.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Strange structure-- usually these specials have the best stuff up front. This one has 20 minutes of good stuff (good but seen it before from Burr), then 40 minutes of murder. Excellent.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I think people would be going easier on Chappelle if this had come out first.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm I think people would be going easier on Chappelle if this had come out first.
Absolutely.
Master craftsmen mocking cancel culture is good for the culture.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:01 amDying. This is the funniest goddamn thing.
Burr's peak is still I'm Sorry You Feel That Way (2014). That thing still kills: every moment is gold, pretty much all the way thru.

This one's pretty good. Might be the best I've seen from him since then.

Turdacious wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:57 amStrange structure-- usually these specials have the best stuff up front.
Is that true?

When I watched that "Talking Funny" special with Louis CK, Seinfeld & Chris Rock (years ago), they were talking about ending up with their best stuff. Using the bits that absolutely slay as the last 5-10 mins. Big finish.

The openers from these specials usually seem to be the most jolting or "shocking" stuff. If you've got the N-word or some "motherfuckers" or scat stuff, open with it to shake the audience up a little. Warm things up and get people to relax, loosen up. (That's not something they said in "Talking Funny", just an observation.)
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:10 pm
Turdacious wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:57 amStrange structure-- usually these specials have the best stuff up front.
Is that true?

When I watched that "Talking Funny" special with Louis CK, Seinfeld & Chris Rock (years ago), they were talking about ending up with their best stuff. Using the bits that absolutely slay as the last 5-10 mins. Big finish.

The openers from these specials usually seem to be the most jolting or "shocking" stuff. If you've got the N-word or some "motherfuckers" or scat stuff, open with it to shake the audience up a little. Warm things up and get people to relax, loosen up. (That's not something they said in "Talking Funny", just an observation.)
I heard on a video or podcast somewhere, I think it was Bert Kreischer, that the average person only watches a comedy special on Netflix for 20 minutes. His response was to stack his best stuff in the first 20 minutes in his special. Maybe the rules are different for guys at the level of CK, Gervais, Seinfeld, Rock, and Burr.

Speaking of CK, I'm surprised he's never gotten in trouble for this:
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 amI heard on a video or podcast somewhere, I think it was Bert Kreischer, that the average person only watches a comedy special on Netflix for 20 minutes.
Oh – I think they were talking about what they do IN THE ROOM when they do a show. Where honestly the people are pretty much stuck in their seats for the duration. End on a high note, I guess.

May be a different calculation when they cut it together to release a special.

Turdacious wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 amSpeaking of CK, I'm surprised he's never gotten in trouble for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHGr4JoEZE
Ah, the good ol' days.

Patrice's presence (and joining in) probly innoculates CK a little bit, here.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

By the way, the redheaded chick who offended everyone at the Correspondents Dinner? Grating voice? I forget her name, but she used to be a write for Seth Meyers' show. Anyway, I watched her special on Netflix sometime in the past year. "Nice Lady" or "Nice Girl", something like that. Enjoyed it.

My wife's been watching some John Mulaney shows recently. He's pretty funny. Got a weird delivery, took me some getting used to, but pretty funny.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

George Carlin >>>>>>>>>> everyone else.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

SubClaw wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:01 am George Carlin >>>>>>>>>> everyone else.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

No.

Perhaps I would have liked it more if I hadn't watched Chapelle a few days earlier.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

SubClaw wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:01 am George Carlin >>>>>>>>>> everyone else.
I saw Carlin maybe 6 times over the years. We saw him at the Fox theater in Atlanta maybe 2-3 months before he had his last heart attack. I really miss guys like him and Bill Hicks. Comedians you could have you legit wetting your pants with laughter one minute and deeply contemplating life in the next. Their ability to hammer the political and social absurdity of the modern world hasn't been equalled.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.