Instant Pot

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Instant Pot

Post by Fat Cat »

We were given one this Christmas. Both my wife and I like to cook and have high expectations for what we eat. I'm kinda leaning towards re-gifting this to a bachelor friend, but I thought I would ask you oldfags if you have any experience with the device and whether or not you like it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Instant Pot

Post by Turdacious »

I have one. It does almost everything but doesn't necessarily do it well. It's more for 'have to cook' than 'like to cook.'

For slow cooking, it’s not close to as good as a traditional slow cooker. It works pretty well as a pressure cooker. I don’t do a lot of pressure cooking, so I mostly use mine for cooking beans and it’s great for that.

East Asians I know don't really use it; Indians and Pakis I know use the hell out of it-- so it might be pretty cuisine dependent.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Depending on what you want to do and when you want to do it, it can be great.

Like Turd said, it does not do roasts and such nearly as well as a crock pot/slow cooker.

It is fantastic for soups and stews. You can get excellent flavor relatively quickly and easily. It also cuts down the time for beans and chili tremendously and you don't lose anything in the way of flavor.

That is essentially what I use it for...soups/stews and beans. And for those two things I've found it well worth the money.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

We have one. Same as newguy, it's main use is getting dried beans done in record time and it flavors them up with whatever spices you're using really well. You actually have to be careful with it or you'll end up with bean mush.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Eh, I have a housewife so I don't need it I guess. Thanks guys, will give it away.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Just saw this. In case you still have it, things it would be good for if you like cooking:

Beef/Chicken/Vegetable stocks. Stocks upgrade a lot of other dishes but are a pain to cook for a long time. Not so with pressure cooker.
Indian cooking like chana masala or the like. Underrated IMO.
Stews. I'm having difficulty imagining that in HI but sure.
Easy but time-consuming one-pot meals like arroz con pollo or red beans and rice get very simple.
If you are interested in cooking whole grains that would otherwise be impractical to slow cook for 40 minutes. Faro, barley, etc.
Speeding up meal prep if you do that.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Thanks Spells!

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

I agree with all above. It's a slow cooker, but not a good one. it's a rice maker, but I hate the way it makes rice. It's best a pressure cooker. Great for winter comfort foods: soups, stews, beans. Probably not an issue in Hawaii. But there are some things it does great and they are things you might like. Indian food, for instance. Restaurant quality butter chicken in half an hour. Get the butter chicken lady's cookbook. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... nstant-pot

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I already gave it away.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

seeahill wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 am I agree with all above. It's a slow cooker, but not a good one. it's a rice maker, but I hate the way it makes rice. It's best a pressure cooker. Great for winter comfort foods: soups, stews, beans. Probably not an issue in Hawaii. But there are some things it does great and they are things you might like. Indian food, for instance. Restaurant quality butter chicken in half an hour. Get the butter chicken lady's cookbook. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... nstant-pot
I tried this New Yorker recipe last night. Super easy, very fast and very good-it will go into the regular rotation. Thanks for posting. If you're going to try it, don't follow their advice to save 1/2 the sauce for later use. Just keep it all together.

Of course the downside of the Insta Pot and Indian food is that the scent seems to permanently adhere to the pot, and my house smells like a curry palace for 2-3 days.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

lasalle wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:31 pm Of course the downside of the Insta Pot and Indian food is that the scent seems to permanently adhere to the pot, and my house smells like a curry palace for 2-3 days.
I remove the rubber gasket in the lid and wash in soap and water. That seems to help.