The Mandalorian — Season 2

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

The Mandalorian — Season 2

Post by Bram »

I loved Season 1, with the exception of episodes 4 and 5, and thought they would nail Season 2.

But when the preview was released a few weeks ago, I had a bad feeling: much more obvious CG this season vs. a throwback to the original Trilogy with the heavy dose of practical effects in Season 1; and cheesier situations.

Season 2 premiered last night...and it was boring. Rife with unrealistic effects, bloated with unenjoyable dialogue, and stuck with the same fetch-quest plot lines that slowed some episodes of Season 1.

I made it through ~40 minutes of a ~55 minute episode and ended up turning it off, too bored to continue.

What did you all think?
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: The Mandalorian — Season 2

Post by Fat Cat »

I think all your criticisms are on target. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as my son. I also am prejudiced against Timothy Olyphant, I've always disliked him as an actor.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I didn’t recognize him until the end of the show, but I kept thinking why do they have this pretty boy with a 200$ haircut in this used-Universe?

Finished the last 15 minutes, but it didn’t budge my opinion:

Why was there a WOODEN crossbow in the desert?

Why were they playing tug-of-war with a 4 million pound sand worm?

Meh.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Fa sho the weakest ep yet, but I still watched it twice.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ronald RayGun wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:17 am Fa sho the weakest ep yet, but I still watched it twice.
Oh I liked it quite a bit more than one or two of the middle episodes of Season 1 that kinda bogged down. At this point, people want episodes that advance the primary story line, and not the one-off Gunsmoke episodes.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Okay, my son wanted to rewatch it in anticipation of tonight's episode. I enjoyed it substantially more the second time through, and I feel that some of it's strengths were underappreciated. As an example, the march of the Sand People on their way to hunt the Krayt dragon was beautifully filmed and reminiscent of David Lean's work. As pulp space opera, I liked it fine. On another note, Baby Yo was just window dressing and played no part in the plot.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

BO KATAN...AHSOKA TANO...ADMIRAL THRAWN...ERRRMAGERRRRD

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

GROGU!
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm glad you're here, Ronald. You're not like the other people in this trailer park.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I'm just a super nerdy reefer addict who likes to lift on occasion. I can't be the only one.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Boba's still got it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

RIP Razor Crest

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Episode 6 was great, loved the stormtrooper carnage

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Bill Burr FTW

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Pretty good finale
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Feels

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Yeah, they definitely knocked it out of the park with the finale. That's how you do it. Gonna be interesting to see what happens now though with Grogu on one path and Mando on another. I assume it's time to fight for Mandalore?

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:30 pmI assume it's time to fight for Mandalore?
Very much yes please.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ya it could be cool, but it will definitely have to change the dynamic we've seen in the first two seasons.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Hmm, maybe even too much so. Love the Din & Grogu show.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ya, they nailed the Lone Wolf and Cub vibe between them. As somebody pointed out to me, it's probably the only good father-son relationship in the Star Wars universe.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Also quite hyped to see Boba's underworld pimp-hand.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

What a good finale!

The Book of Boba Fett looks like it has a lot of potential as does The Bad Batch animated series.

https://youtu.be/BohgNFBR2eE

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

For Bram...

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks! We should sticky how to embed links, etc.

The old ways no longer work, we must embrace the new!