Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Bram »

"Based on the writings of Bruce Lee," this kung-fu show based in 1878's San Francisco Chinatown is a strange mix of cheesy acting, bad dialogue, good sets/costumes/fights, and an odd charm.

The cast talks in a mixture of British, Irish, and totally alarming, completely modern, American English.

People are "fast as shit," "slow as shit," etc.

But I fucking like it so far. Cool to see some ass-kicking. And boobs.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Ronald RayGun

Re: Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Ahh, didn't know it was on HBO. I'll give it a look.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

My first take was based on episode one.

I finished all of the first season, and I'm nearing the end of the second, which is all that's been released so far.

What a great show!

It takes a bit of a Game of Thrones approach. You have all these warring factions, and not just the Chinese ones -- though there are plenty of those. Displaced Irish, losing jobs to cheaper Chinese labor. Political actors out for their own best interests. A few good people in the mix, but mostly a collection of terrible people, or at least heavily flawed.

Gruesomely brutal, bad-ass choreography, surprising (to me) twists and turns.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Show is legit. Proper violent.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Bram »

Season 3 has been kicking ass. Although he has a small role, the addition of 90’s martial-arts star Mark Dacascos has been a cool addition

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Bram »

The fight scene at the end of Season 3, Ep. 9 was gross and satisfying. Immediately re-watched the carnage.

Ronald RayGun

Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Just about to crack into season 3. Show is fun!

Ronald RayGun

Warrior on Cinemax/HBO

Post by Ronald RayGun »

In episode 9 of season 2, they unlock the Nunchuck bonus for Ah-Sahm. Brilliant.