Casper mattress review

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Casper mattress review

Post by Shapecharge »

So the wife and I decided to buy this mattress after hearing an advertisement about it on the radio while we were on a road trip. You order it on-line and they send it to you in a box. Queen size is 850.00 with a 100-day no questions asked return policy and the real kicker here is...they will send someone to pick it up if you don't like it and want it returned. You don't have to struggle with how to ship it back. Some bright guys came up with the idea on the mattress...one of them worked for NASA. Well, now that I think about it, that's not much of an endorsement since we have a guy here that used to work for NASA and he decided not to use soap anymore. Check it out here:

https://casper.com/mattresses

So what's it like? An honest, no-bullshit assessment...the best sleep I've gotten in fucking years. In fact, it messed my head up for a little bit. I was thinking there was something wrong with me. I'd shut the light off at say 11:00 p.m. and the alarm would wake me up at 6:30 a.m. I was like, what the fuck is that noise? The alarm? I can't recall a time the alarm woke me up...I'm always awake way before it. Now, I would say the wife and I are not problem sleepers i.e. we're not snorers or insomniacs etc. I would have classified myself as the typical "light" sleeper. Whatever the fuck that is. Can go to sleep easy but can't stay down. Now I wonder how in the fuck I got any rest after the sleep I've been getting on this thing. And there's more. The wife and I are late eaters...we rarely eat before 8:00 p.m. I will typically grab a workout around 6-6:30 p.m. If I go for a run and slog down some water it's pretty common for me to wake up around 3:00 a.m. or so to take a piss. Doesn't happen anymore. I'm sleeping deeper. More rested. I can't recommend this more positively. If you're thinking about a new bed, there's absolutely no risk in trying it. It's a hybrid memory foam mattress that can work on the floor, on a platform, or on a set of box springs. You don't get lost in it nor is it hot. You sort of float on it and all the nooks and crannies sink in where they should.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Casper mattress review

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at the Tuft & Needle mattress, a similar direct-to-consumer foam mattress, as the whole retail mattress industry is scammy as shit. Casper is more expensive but very well-reviewed. 10 year warranty is nice (My wife travels for work and wanted a mattress that they use in Westin/W Hotels... until we found out they last about 3 years).

The only thing I hate is you can't try it before you buy it. I know it's risk free, but the frame I'd get with it would also have to be returned.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Stephen just put it on the floor. If you and the wife are cool with it then buy the frame.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Yep. Did you consider other brands?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

How is this different from a Tempurpedic type of matress? We bought an ultra thick memory foam type mattress from Costco about a year or so ago, like yours, it pops out of a box and took a day to flatten and it's great. Smoked the Sleep Number bed we had for about 8 years prior (my daughter has that one now).

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

What did the guy do for NASA? They employ a lot of people and that may not mean what you think.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Protobuilder wrote:What did the guy do for NASA? They employ a lot of people and that may not mean what you think.
Our IGx NASA guy is a PhD (I think) and ex-USMC RIO (i.e. not good enough to actually fly the jet, but good enough to cover the six of the actual pilot), who turned into a Vibram Toe Shoe, Parkour, loving hippy who cuts his blow with potato starch.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:How is this different from a Tempurpedic type of matress?
They're similar. There are a bunch of online stores now doing direct-to-consumer at a pretty steep discount relative to the actual Tempurpedic. Casper, Leesa, Tuft & Needle, etc. do these. I'd expect the CostCo one was a similar deal.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

GDG is crying in his long johns right now.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I hate you shape. And showers

No, I love you

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I could sleep on a gravel driveway, but my wife could benefit, which would benefit me. Concerned about the not getting up to pee. National bureau of standards uses my bladder to synchronize their atomic clocks to 5:00 AM. Does it come with a plastic cover? Machine washable?
Don’t believe everything you think.

milosz

Post by milosz »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:How is this different from a Tempurpedic type of matress?
Mostly the price. Friend who got a Tempurpedic King paid around $2k I think, these top out at a grand. Same upscale technology and packaging, no middlemen and bullshit.

The cheap memory foams are awful if you get hot in your sleep, supposedly the Casper and Tuft & Needle are good on that front.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

$850!!!!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

My Temperpedic kicked ass, but I'm looking to replace in a year or so, had it for 12 years now, I think

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I'm apparently the only person on the planet who hates memory foam, and likes innerspring mattresses without a thick pillow top.

The one opinion I have about mattresses that isn't weird is that a queen-sized bed is too small for two adults to sleep in. If you have room, you won't regret getting a king.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Pinky wrote:The one opinion I have about mattresses that isn't weird is that a queen-sized bed is too small for two adults to sleep in. If you have room, you won't regret getting a king.
The adults have to be pretty big for a queen to be "too small," but we're considering moving up. I always notice the extra space in hotels.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

My wife and I just got a Casper king. Had it in the box for a few weeks while I built the platform. I love it, but it's only been two nights.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
They're similar. There are a bunch of online stores now doing direct-to-consumer at a pretty steep discount relative to the actual Tempurpedic. Casper, Leesa, Tuft & Needle, etc. do these. I'd expect the CostCo one was a similar deal.
Yeah, it's thicker than a typical bed for sure, as none of the fitted sheets quite fit the mattress. Small price to pay for an awesome bed.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

milosz wrote:
Mostly the price. Friend who got a Tempurpedic King paid around $2k I think, these top out at a grand. Same upscale technology and packaging, no middlemen and bullshit.

The cheap memory foams are awful if you get hot in your sleep, supposedly the Casper and Tuft & Needle are good on that front.
I generate heat like a Korean War Era Potbelly stove, but don't have a 'hot' problem that is centric to the Costco mattress, so I suspect while it's less than half of $2k, it's still high quality.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

After a year of snoozing on this thing, whats the long term result? I'm getting a new mattress and this one is on the top of my list. Most reviews say that it sleeps cool, but I've had issues with a Tempurpedic being hot as hell.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:After a year of snoozing on this thing, whats the long term result? I'm getting a new mattress and this one is on the top of my list. Most reviews say that it sleeps cool, but I've had issues with a Tempurpedic being hot as hell.
Check the reviews on thesweethome.com. They put the Leesa at the top of the list, but also talk about mattresses running hot or cold.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

How is the Caspar wearing. I think I heard tuft and needle was firmer, no?

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

No issues in Shape's Temple of Boom-Boom. No sagging, heat etc. I'm still very satisfied. Really. If it was fucked up I would have no issues saying so. Turned (i.e.conned) two people on to it at work and they're very happy with it as well. This bed, coupled with the super powers I've gained from drinking blended vegetables and fruits most mornings has enhanced my IQ to nearly 100 and given me the strength of a 12 year old girl just starting her period. What more endorsement do you need for Christ's sake.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Shape, where could I learn more about these blended vegetables and fruits you consume?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Well Pinky, surprisingly there is a thread in this very same location, of multiple pages of tips and anecdotes dedicated solely to this topic. A must read if you really want to delve into this fascinating topic. But be warned...you may end up with powers beyond your comprehension if you start doing this. Take a look here!!

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223093