Ip Man Movies

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Ip Man Movies

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I have posted this on Facebook this year, but I have a bit of an obsession with Ip Man and Ip Man 2 (3 and 4, not so much...they wore it out). The action scenes were great, but I'm not a MA guy and suspect they can be picked apart like any other 'Kung Fu' movie by you MA types. Ip Man and Ip Man 2 are different. Outstanding story lines (alleged on a true story of the life of Bruce Lee's first Sifu). The demeanor of the guy who plays Ip Man is awesome; his wife is a high maintenance bitch, but cool in her own right; and their son is a spoiled little turd. The story is way more interesting than that, but you'd be remiss if you did not watch this on Netflix (it is subtitled). My family loves these movies and my kids (girl is 10, boy is 7) ask a lot of 'life questions' based on the story.....beats the shit out of anything Disney puts out.

j-cubed
Gunny

Re: Ip Man Movies

Post by j-cubed »

There's a 4? I know there was an Ip-Man that did not have Donnie Yen, but the three with him are thoroughly enjoyable to watch, 3 a little less so than the first two. To me they are kind of grand and epic in their story telling in a similar way that some western classics are like The Searchers with John Wayne.
But yeah, the fight scenes are all super choreographed, not-realistic stuff.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Number 1 and 2 of the Donnie Yen flicks are among my all time favorites. Number 3 (the one with Tyson) is the weakest of the bunch, but still a good one to check out just to complete the series.

Ip Man: Final Fight with Anthony Wong is absolute dog shit.

The Legend is Born - Ip Man is also complete crap. This has nothing to do with the Donnie Yen series, but the DVD packaging in the US was cleverly designed in such a way to make it look like it is related to that series (very similar art work and color scheme).

There was another one with Tony Leung called The Grandmaster and I've never seen that one (mainly because most Ip Man flicks outside of the Donnie Yen stuff is just crapola).

I don't watch nearly as many Kung fu flicks as I used to, but two of my more recent favorites that I consider must watch for fans of the genre are Once Upon A Time In Shangahi, and Rise of the Legend.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

So many great characters. Master Jin; Master Hung (ironically, my nickname); Fatso. "Twister", too.....that actor was awesome at making his character utterly hateable, same for that sadistic, Japanese fuck with the glasses in the first flick. Truly great acting in those two movies, IMO.

Mike Tyson actually did a pretty good job in Ip Man 3.....I just thought they put so much juice on the table for the first two, that the third held no match.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Darren Shahlavi was great as Twister, and it's a shame he died so young. His final appearance will be in the upcoming Kickboxer reboot film.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Darren Shahlavi was great as Twister, and it's a shame he died so young. His final appearance will be in the upcoming Kickboxer reboot film.
I Wiki'd his name and thanks for dropping it. Yes, that is too bad he died so young.