The Accountant

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

The Accountant

Post by powerlifter54 »

This is what I had in mind for Jack Reacher. Good cold hearted killing of bad guys. Anna Kendrick, who must have some other non acting or beauty talent, appears. Don't get her. Meh. J.K Simmons awesome as usual. Worth the matinee price. 1-100 about an 83.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Accountant

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

powerlifter54 wrote:Anna Kendrick, who must have some other non acting or beauty talent, appears. Don't get her. Meh.
My personal theory is that she is some sort of troll, or goblin, that has enchanted the minds of various Hollywood casting directors with her tricksy ways.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Kendrick was good in End of Watch. But the movie wasn't about her. If you haven't seen it, do so.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Did The Accountant plumb the depths of inventory accounting, explaining LIFO, FIFO, costing, depreciation etc.? That would be riveting.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

johno wrote:Did The Accountant plumb the depths of inventory accounting, explaining LIFO, FIFO, costing, depreciation etc.? That would be riveting.

lol. But he did say depreciation once.

Nope!
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Oh so my review wasn't good enough? Jack, you've turned into a real turd since you retired.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Sorry. Day Drinking...

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Jack I'm just playin' broheim. By the way I've got a new man-crush...met a former F-18 driver. He's come by my office on business a few times and we had a few beers last week. Told me a couple of hilarious stories.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

In my current consulting part time gig doing airline preps i meet a lot of pilots. Even setting aside my Navy prejudice, Navy folks tend to be a different breed. Except Marines, they are just different.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Jack, this fellow is a jarhead. He told me about this crazy thing all the pilots in his squadron did called the "roof stomp" when he was at Buford. I thought I was dialed in on all the obscure jarhead shit but this one got past me. So a guy goes over to another's house and climbs up on the roof and starts jumping. Said resident better come out with two beers, and then they go to the next house where they both climb up on the roof. Next thing you know there's 20 dudes on some guy's roof. I thought it was hilarious. Sadly the roof stomp will not work in the metroplex...even if you can get on the roof you've got one jump before you tumble down to injury.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Shapecharge wrote:Jack, this fellow is a jarhead. He told me about this crazy thing all the pilots in his squadron did called the "roof stomp" when he was at Buford. I thought I was dialed in on all the obscure jarhead shit but this one got past me. So a guy goes over to another's house and climbs up on the roof and starts jumping. Said resident better come out with two beers, and then they go to the next house where they both climb up on the roof. Next thing you know there's 20 dudes on some guy's roof. I thought it was hilarious. Sadly the roof stomp will not work in the metroplex...even if you can get on the roof you've got one jump before you tumble down to injury.
The difference between Marine squadrons and Navy squadrons is we would just call up and whisper "green light' and then show up. If you didn't have beer and food it could get ugly. Once my instructors at rescue Swimmer School showed up on their Harleys and we got it going. Mentioned my weasel neighbor, an IRS agent, who alsways bitched about my fence. Several buckets of chicken and many pizzas and cases of beer later they left, even cleaned up and hauled off the garbage. My wife was impressed. Until later the next day the IRS guy found all the garbage bags in his shed.

Sorry dude. Rogue agents maybe did it.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Jack,

Thank you for the illuminating review. That other review sucked balls. Based on that other review, I thought The Accountant was a shadow-puppet show in a 29 Palms Gay Bar. Now I know different.

Thank you and Best Wishes for a Joyous Noel,
johno

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

powerlifter54 wrote: "green light' .
Back when I was a liberty risk JO, we found out the skipper was having a private party for just the department heads and spouses. You can see where that story goes. :drinkers:
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

nafod wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote: "green light' .
Back when I was a liberty risk JO, we found out the skipper was having a private party for just the department heads and spouses. You can see where that story goes. :drinkers:
My post first cruise LT "wetting down" was at a new High end Neighborhood Clubhouse that needed the revenue. Things got a bit out of hand. No damage except some shrubs in the pool and the the large girl bartender had the night of her life and left the place open. However the clear evidence of a drink everything in sight, driving range Baja 500, and tennis ball cannon repel boarders left the manager quite annoyed. Dropping off the payment a few days later, she told the two of us running the shindig that our squadron, the navy, and both of us specifically were banned from Magnolia Point. lol.

Fast forward about 20 years. Had a job interview nearby that went well. I decided to drive through that neighborhood and check out potential new homes. Looked nice and saw the Clubhouse had a big lunch crowd. So i walked in and sat down at the bar and ordered. What were the chances? Suddenly i get spun around on the bar stool and it is her. And in her best Judge Elihu Smails imitation she hissed , "YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....get out!"

Free beer. FTW.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Finally saw this. Thumbs up!

Wasn't impressed with Affleck trying to act like he had Asperger at all, but otherwise I thought he was good.

That actor from The Walking Dead - will he ever get to act like someone other than an asshole or is he typecast for life?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Finally saw this last night, on demand. Really enjoyed it.

Wasn't what I expected. I expected something like a Jason Statham movie. This was slower, more of a mystery / character study in the first half. But it turned nicely John Wick -ish in the second half, with some solid ultraviolence. Baffleck was decent to good. JK Simmons was great, as he consistently is. I've had a crush on Anna Kendrick since Pitch Perfect, so it was nice to see her here. She's good, but she vanishes from the second half of the movie.

Neither my wife nor I saw the third-act twist with the antagonist (the Punisher actor from Daredevil, and from the Walking Dead) coming, so that was neat. Ending a little Jack Reacher -ish. (In fact, my wife said that Baffleck would make a decent Reacher, primarily because of his size – he's 6'4", much bigger than most Hollywood actors). Door's open for a sequel, which I wouldn't object to.

Starts out interesting but slow, gets better as it goes along, downright fun in the third act, violent enough.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I saw this last night based on Reaper's review. I liked it way more than I had expected.

W.B. Yeats