Wonder Woman

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
JimZipCode

Wonder Woman

Post by JimZipCode »

Solid.

My wife thought it was AWESOME. I thought it was in the good to very good range. All of these superhero movies are overlong and drag a little bit in the middle (except the original Iron Man). This one is no exception. But its good points are good. It's lighter than the recent Superman and Batman movies. More fun and pleasant. Some good WWI action. The chick who plays WW is really terrific. She's as perfect an intersection of character and casting as Robert Downey / Iron Man.

For kids? I'm on the fence. It's WWI, so there are a fair amount of dead bodies lying around, and trench warfare. Gas. There's one romantic scene, but they cut away so the grownups know what happened next but kids could overlook it. Likely my 8yo would be totally fine with it, but as a parent I hesitate. Of course it's miles better for kids than the Christopher Nolan Batman movies or Man of Steel or Batman v Superman.
(As I type that sentence I realize how thoroughly DC has screwed the pooch over the years, where a WWI movie with gas attacks is miles more appropriate for kids than their other superhero movies. As a parent you wouldn't worry for a second about taking your kid to see Avengers or Spider-man Homecoming, or just about any Marvel movie short of Deadpool. Of course Batman v Superman made like a billion dollars, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt.)

I wouldn't be shocked if this movie winds up being a big deal for females, a cultural milestone of near- Star Wars proportions. My wife was really moved seeing a cool Wonder Woman fully realized on-screen. I hadn't expected her reaction. And this WW really is cool. She's much more interesting than the Batman or Superman of recent movies, seems much more a person with an actual personality. And she's a bad-ass. At one point she leaps into a tower to take out a sniper's nest: and she hits the tower like an artillery shell, blows up the whole top floor when she lands. That's fairly normal superhero stuff for boys – cool but not extraordinary, Iron Man or Thor or the Hulk could do the same thing. But maybe I underestimated how strong a reaction many women are going to have to that, how potent an image it can be. A lot of moms are going to want to drag their daughters to see it. And sons & husbands aren't going to mind, because the movie really is pretty good.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Really well-done and deserves the great reviews. Agree it's not as good as Iron Man was, but Wonder Woman was much harder to pull off than anything RDJ would be in.

Probably not for kids. They do a pretty good job of showing but not dwelling on the "war is bad" stuff, but there a few things a kid could see and latch onto (orphaned kid, gas attack).
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Any head-butting?
Don’t believe everything you think.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I thought it was very good. Pretty much everything you said was on the money Jim. My mother saw it with her Golden Girl crew and they all loved it.

My minor criticisms - they didn't really establish any threats to someone of her power level. Because she was so powerful she really didn't need her "team", except for Trevor as a guide.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

sure, sure, but can she cook?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

tonkadtx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am I thought it was very good. Pretty much everything you said was on the money Jim. My mother saw it with her Golden Girl crew and they all loved it.

My minor criticisms - they didn't really establish any threats to someone of her power level. Because she was so powerful she really didn't need her "team", except for Trevor as a guide.
Which is why its great for women. Because there is always a threat, no matter how powerful we may be. Not being sarcastic, its the truth. Physical safety is always a thing, physical autonomy because of politicians who don't think we should govern our own bodies, economic safety because sometimes we just don't get paid as much, and certainly simple regard. Because when you don't have a penis, meritocracy isn't always a thing you can use.

Not a femme-nazi, just a gal who has been oppressed by the man way more than a man would be.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'll be taking the kids, my two daughters and son, to see it Saturday night and I'm looking forward to it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

syaigh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pmNot a femme-nazi, just a gal who has been oppressed by the man way more than a man would be.
Sack up, Melania
Don’t believe everything you think.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I and the kids thought it was awesome! A tad cheesy but still great.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Loved it. :)

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Syaigh, how'd your kid (kids?) like it?

Mickey, how old are your kids who liked it?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

syaigh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pm
tonkadtx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am I thought it was very good. Pretty much everything you said was on the money Jim. My mother saw it with her Golden Girl crew and they all loved it.

Which is why its great for women. Because there is always a threat, no matter how powerful we may be. Not being sarcastic, its the truth. Physical safety is always a thing, physical autonomy because of politicians who don't think we should govern our own bodies, economic safety because sometimes we just don't get paid as much, and certainly simple regard. Because when you don't have a penis, meritocracy isn't always a thing you can use.

Not a femme-nazi, just a gal who has been oppressed by the man way more than a man would be.
BECAUSE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A PENIS, MERITOCRACY ISN'T A THING YOU CAN USE.

Listen you silly womyn, the only reason you aren't mercilessly ridiculed for your ponderously ridiculous political rantings is because you DON'T HAVE A PENIS.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

bennyonesix wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 pm
syaigh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pm

BECAUSE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A PENIS, MERITOCRACY ISN'T A THING YOU CAN USE.

Listen you silly womyn, the only reason you aren't mercilessly ridiculed for your ponderously ridiculous political rantings is because you DON'T HAVE A PENIS.
The great thing about this movie was thst it was just her becoming her. No agenda, no "this thing is better than that thing", just wonder woman becoming wonderful.

If I had a penis, the ladyboy thread would be epic.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Saw it with my wife, we really liked it. A much better take on WW than they did on Superman, where they really missed the feel. Only reason i would not take my 7 year old is she gets really scared/worried in live action fights compared to cartoons. Like she almost cried during the final fights of Sky High. I can tell her little sister will be the complete opposite, though.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Barely okay.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Of course you all loved it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/matr ... -woman-999
Dude, Marston was a weird cat in general. I did a paper my Senior year of my English Degree arguing that comics were a legit form of literature and explore modern day mythology. Alan Moore, Walt Simonson, Jack Kirby. I love comics. Marston was just a weird dude.

He was waaaaaaaaay into bondage. Wonder Woman's original weakness was "binding". If you could tie her up she was powerless.

Sounds like he knew how to have fun though!

http://comicsalliance.com/golden-age-wo ... k-gallery/

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... -love-cult

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Just curiouso, but who do you think would win in a bare-chested one-on-one titty fight between the Wonder Woman of the 70's, Lynda Carter and this new one, Gal Gadot? And, if we had control over space and time and could make this happen, would it be weird to rub one out while it was happening?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Lynda winds, hands down, and I'd think it was weird if you didn't.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

All of you disgust me.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Benji give me your cell # and I'll send you a video of me rubbing one out. Just fyi, I'm one of the older dudes on here and my sac is getting to that droopy stage despite me wearing tighty-whities practically my whole life. One other thing, my balloon knot has mysteriously loosened up as well and sometimes despite my best efforts on paper work I've got a strip of bacon or two in there. Man, getting old just sucks. Other than that, it will be a super great video.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Benji, are we gonna do this or what? Hey, what kind of music do you like? I can rub one out to just about anything...well, electronica is a little weird but just let me know and I can have that playing in the background. No Free Bird though because I can't last that long. Also if there's anything special you want me to wear let me know...like I've got some dirty overalls if you're into that or I can put on a suit and pull my junk out of the fly...just some ideas. I've got a 75" 4k tv that I could put something on, like maybe some eagles flying through the air behind me as I rub one out...maybe I could find some bald eagles and make it kinda patriotic with the Star Spangled Banner playing. Holla!

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

See, rhis is problem.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I don't understand...what's the problem? I'm totally down with making this video for you. I've even trimmed up me bits-n-pieces. I'm good to go.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I do not want you to make any videos for me.

Never address me again you depraved boomer scum.