Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Post by Fat Cat »

Place ya' bets ladies and germs. I say yes.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Post by Shapecharge »

I would have said a solid "yes" as well until I heard about the 60-200K debt in National's tickets that mysteriously disappeared.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Shapecharge wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm I would have said a solid "yes" as well until I heard about the 60-200K debt in National's tickets that mysteriously disappeared.
I've been thinking the same. How does someone making 220K a year, spend 200K on National's tickets? Seems like a serious lack of judgement. Will be interesting to hear how he explains that. I've met some very intelligent people in their own fields who couldn't balance a checkbook.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

If it was with a Hilton Honors American Express card and he paid the balance off immediately, he might have said "Hey everybody, give me your cash and I'll buy the tickets and get a shit-ton of free nights in a Hilton property to boot."

If he carried a balance? Serious WTF on the judge's judgement.

But right now that doesn't matter. It's just L v R, and the R has the votes. Too many red Dems running for re-election too.

He slides in to home just beneath the collection agency's throw.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Interesting, I hadn't heard this. Looking around it seems like he's dirt poor.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

nafod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm He slides in to home just beneath the collection agency's throw.
Excellent metaphor and probably correct.

According to something I saw somewhere on the Interwebz today, his income, pension, DC home value, etc. wasn't counted in his pauperish wealth evaluation.

I don't need all my masters and rulers to be millionaires billionaires. Maybe a modest net worth comes with a tinge of humility. I hope so.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

DikTracy6000 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm
Shapecharge wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm I would have said a solid "yes" as well until I heard about the 60-200K debt in National's tickets that mysteriously disappeared.
I've been thinking the same. How does someone making 220K a year, spend 200K on National's tickets? Seems like a serious lack of judgement. Will be interesting to hear how he explains that. I've met some very intelligent people in their own fields who couldn't balance a checkbook.
I've seen a lot of online comments like this, mystified at the huge baseball bill, but when I read a news piece on it, it was described as primarily season tickets and home renovations. You can have a lot of renovations on a million dollar home, and under some circumstances, like you are paying contractors directly and partly in advance, you may want to run those through a card in case of dispute or non-fulfillment. In the piece i read, itvwas explicitly stated that the high balance was not a normal year-to-year occurrence.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Schlegel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 am
DikTracy6000 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm
I've seen a lot of online comments like this, mystified at the huge baseball bill, but when I read a news piece on it, it was described as primarily season tickets and home renovations. You can have a lot of renovations on a million dollar home, and under some circumstances, like you are paying contractors directly and partly in advance, you may want to run those through a card in case of dispute or non-fulfillment. In the piece i read, itvwas explicitly stated that the high balance was not a normal year-to-year occurrence.
It would interesting to see the split, like 190k renovations, 10k season tickets. They were also reporting he was buying the tickets for friends or business associates, not sure. Anyway, who spends 110% of his annual salary (before taxes) on a c.c., and thinks that is a prudent decision? He may be a stand-up guy, but that thinking still bothers me. Most likely gets confirmed, as the GOP will say this isn't relevant.
As to running up a large c.c. amount, and paying it off for the travel/buying power credits; how the hell do you pay off that number on his salary?

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

As Americans, we are committed to insolvency; Kavanaugh is a man for our times.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm If it was with a Hilton Honors American Express card and he paid the balance off immediately, he might have said "Hey everybody, give me your cash and I'll buy the tickets and get a shit-ton of free nights in a Hilton property to boot."

But right now that doesn't matter. It's just L v R, and the R has the votes. Too many red Dems running for re-election too.

Sounds like he took the classic advice that people get when applying for/renewing a clearance-- report everything that could possibly be considered negative or shady. Hard to hate on him for that (although he made some pretty lousy decisions-- like the ones that required a TSP loan).

According to the WaPo, he's given up trying to keep up with the Pruitt's of the world going on a couple of years. Maybe he’s learned.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Turdacious wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 am
nafod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm If it was with a Hilton Honors American Express card and he paid the balance off immediately, he might have said "Hey everybody, give me your cash and I'll buy the tickets and get a shit-ton of free nights in a Hilton property to boot."

Sounds like he took the classic advice that people get when applying for/renewing a clearance-- report everything that could possibly be considered negative or shady. Hard to hate on him for that (although he made some pretty lousy decisions-- like the ones that required a TSP loan).

According to the WaPo, he's given up trying to keep up with the Pruitt's of the world going on a couple of years. Maybe he’s learned.
My "Something's Wrong" bullshit radar is sounding like that radio signal that Jeff Goldblum on "Independence Day" picked up from space. Guy is the perfect dad, coaches daughter's basketball team or something like that, makes pancakes for everyone on weekends, his local bartender didn't even know he was a judge, just a nice guy, and he bills 200 grand for Nationals tickets on American Express and pays off immediately with no balance in his bank accounts. Confirmed.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I bet he has an unfinished dirt basement where he stores his shovels, some of them with bone fragments embedded in them.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

DikTracy6000 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pmGuy is the perfect dad, coaches daughter's basketball team or something like that, makes pancakes for everyone on weekends, his local bartender didn't even know he was a judge, just a nice guy, and he bills 200 grand for Nationals tickets on American Express and pays off immediately with no balance in his bank accounts. Confirmed.
What could possibly be missing from this picture?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Times up, fuckos! Place your bets.

I say he gets confirmed 51-49.

vote or die

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Oh, he'll get confirmed, and just as sure as he went on Fox news, he will continue the legacy of legislating from the bench just like Scalia and Roberts and Alito and Thomas Gorusch.

They vote on the side of the religious right and the deregulators (when it doesn't interfere with the evangelical vote or the needs of corporations). Its sad and very depressing.

Everyone in that Senate chamber is a goddamned liar.

Is democracy as we thought it should be at an end?

My very good friend who is an ornery old man trump supporter keeps telling me "democracy doesn't work". Maybe he's right.

I'm sad.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I think he gets confirmed

It'd be terrible if Mark Judge dies in a car accident driving home from the beach.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Edit: stupid IGx

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Hmm — Ima say no. I have no faith I'm right, I think it's a razor's edge toss-up. But Ima say no, and Flake or one of the ladies leads the defection. As soon as one of them moves, it gives the others cover and breaks the dam. Ultimately 3 or 4 or 5 defect, and Beer Keganaugh loses the vote.

My wife forwarded me a hilarious pic of him testifying. The chicks faces behind him are not good for the repubs.

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I think no pretty strongly. The Jesuits and Dershowitz have turned against him. He appears to have lied under oath, opening him up to 2020 removal/replacement if Trump loses. Mitch McConnell is an evil turtle king but he isn’t stupid. Conservative majority is more important to him than any nominee.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 am I think no pretty strongly. The Jesuits and Dershowitz have turned against him. He appears to have lied under oath, opening him up to 2020 removal/replacement if Trump loses. Mitch McConnell is an evil turtle king but he isn’t stupid. Conservative majority is more important to him than any nominee.
IMHO the key is red state Dems running for reelection-- Manchin's vote, for example, really matters here. If McConnell can turn three, he's probably good.

Besides, if one of the Kardashians does anything remotely uninteresting, the nation will forget about this.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

American Bar Association just said to put a halt to things until the FBI investigates. The narrative is getting away.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Code: Select all

My very good friend who is an ornery old man trump supporter keeps telling me "democracy doesn't work".
You have my permission to kick him in the nuts.

Kavanaugh and Garland are both on the same court right now. If he doesn’t get the nod, it’d be fun to listen to their robe room chatter.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:59 amBesides, if one of the Kardashians does anything remotely uninteresting, the nation will forget about this.
I just saw a headline that Kim is divorcing Kanye!

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

syaigh wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 am Oh, he'll get confirmed, and just as sure as he went on Fox news, he will continue the legacy of legislating from the bench just like Scalia and Roberts and Alito and Thomas Gorusch.

They vote on the side of the religious right and the deregulators (when it doesn't interfere with the evangelical vote or the needs of corporations). Its sad and very depressing.

Everyone in that Senate chamber is a goddamned liar.

Is democracy as we thought it should be at an end?

My very good friend who is an ornery old man trump supporter keeps telling me "democracy doesn't work". Maybe he's right.

I'm sad.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 am I think no pretty strongly. The Jesuits and Dershowitz have turned against him.
Did the Jesuits ever support him?