Coronavirus - the new hoax

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Coronavirus - the new hoax

Post by nafod »

It’d be ironic if a carrier showed up at a MAGA rally sneezing all over the place.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Coronavirus - the new hoax

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Close. Guy out of quarantine of Fox can’t stop coughing and shares his water bottle with daughter

https://mashable.com/article/coronaviru ... ghter-fox/
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Be nice if someone could cite the source of Trump's remarks.

Be even nicer if we quit pretending that Trump has the same powers as China's Premier Xi. He's not a dictator.
Don't like yourself too much.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Just google on “Trump virus hoax”

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:56 amBe even nicer if we quit pretending that Trump has the same powers as China's Premier Xi. He's not a dictator.
This is disingenuous at best, Gene. Trump is the most autocratic President the U.S. has had since FDR. Plus the historical and legal precedents do exist for much more aggressive government action than we've seen so far.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It's the competence. This sort of thing is why you have a "deep state", i.e., a cadre of competent professionals who plan for and execute these sort of contingencies.

Senior government personnel shouldn't be letting the words "hoax" and "coronavirus" be getting within a hundred miles of each other, much less use them in the same sentence, even if he was just in taking another shot at the Dems.

South Korea has tested 10s of thousands, we've tested barely hundreds. What's our plan?

You get a sick person show up in a hospital, find out they have the COVID19, and now half the medical staff have to self-quarantine and there's no one there to run the hospital. What's the plan?

Etc.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 pm What's the plan?
With Mike Pence in charge?
Literally pray. Either to ask sky daddy to make it go away or thank him for beginning Armageddon. Not sure which yet.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 pm It's the competence. This sort of thing is why you have a "deep state", i.e., a cadre of competent professionals who plan for and execute these sort of contingencies.
HHS is a mess, struggles with forecasting and budget management, and this thing will require a lot of interagency coordination. Pence did a solid job with Indiana’s Obamacare Medicaid expansion, and a lot of pros in the health policy field who hate giving republicans credit for anything will acknowledge this. He’s a really good pick for this.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:52 pm HHS is a mess, struggles with forecasting and budget management, and this thing will require a lot of interagency coordination. Pence did a solid job with Indiana’s Obamacare Medicaid expansion, and a lot of pros in the health policy field who hate giving republicans credit for anything will acknowledge this. He’s a really good pick for this.
If he does a good job (I hope he does), Trump will undercut him with a tweet at some point.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:04 pm
Gene wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:56 amBe even nicer if we quit pretending that Trump has the same powers as China's Premier Xi. He's not a dictator.
This is disingenuous at best, Gene. Trump is the most autocratic President the U.S. has had since FDR. Plus the historical and legal precedents do exist for much more aggressive government action than we've seen so far.
So we're told.... Mr. Obama wrote a lot of Executive Memoranda. I won't deny that Trump has done some really batshit stuff using his mighty pen and phone.

US State governments were aggressive at quarantines. The New York City Health Department kidnapped Typhoid Mary to an island, leaving her there until death. On a Federal level? I'm not sure.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 pm It's the competence. This sort of thing is why you have a "deep state", i.e., a cadre of competent professionals who plan for and execute these sort of contingencies.
When they do their mission that's fine. Most of them are professionals. A few are political hacks who pull dirty tricks, like Nixon or Obama requests to burgle offices or gin up false dossiers of Russian collusion.

Sometimes they get nasty. The Palmer Raids. Breaking up the Bonus Veteran March. The Tuskegee Men's Syphilis "study". The over throw of Arbenz in Guatemala. The Dirty war against Cuba in the 1960s. Operation Mongoose. Operation Chaos. Operation Phoenix in Vietnam. The Iran-Contra crap in Arkansas and Southern Florida. The Waco debacle of 1993. The Bundy Ranch raid which may have involved Senator Reid's boy at the Bureau of Land Management. Lots and lots of Civil Forfeiture. Watergate. Russiagate.

Come to think it, the Wounded Knee Massacre was a joint Bureau of Indian Affairs and US Army venture. Over 300 dead, mostly women and children. Disarming the natives for their "own good".

Some of us, Nafod, are suspicious of the Federal bureaucracy. Suspicion is not hatred or any sense incipient terrorism. Just suspicion.

There is some nuance between Government Uber Alles and anarchism. The Deep State should know who empowers them. Free hint - it's not their SWAT teams, it's voter sufferance. They need to mind us too.

I would hope that you see such nuance even if you don't acknowledge it in your political opponents.
Last edited by Gene on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 pmSenior government personnel shouldn't be letting the words "hoax" and "coronavirus" be getting within a hundred miles of each other, much less use them in the same sentence, even if he was just in taking another shot at the Dems.
Trump was quoted out of context. However if he really meant it then the Democrats could do better than to nominate candidates we have in front of us right now. Biden or Sanders. This is the best that the Democrats can do?

You have a good candidate in Tulsi Gabbard. She knows what war is about and why it's not like Dancing with the Stars. She isn't a suck for the Military Industrial Complex. She did sponsor Sanders last time around but given her detestation of Hillary I couldn't blame her.

We're stuck four more years of The Donald, the Gaffe Machine or someone who wants to party like it's 1917 in Petrograd.
nafod wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 pmYou get a sick person show up in a hospital, find out they have the COVID19, and now half the medical staff have to self-quarantine and there's no one there to run the hospital. What's the plan?
They can quarantine on site but why debate it? Would you like The Donald to tweet us one?

I'd like to see what the standard plans for epidemics are in this country. They do exist.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm
What's the plan?
They can quarantine on site but why debate it? Would you like The Donald to tweet us one?
Actually, yes, that would be A Good Thing. You could even say it's his fucking job

He could tweet a link to our standard pandemic plan, or recommend standard practices, or cite his own team's advice, etc.

It is sad and embarrassing that he talks like an idiot.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:02 pm
Gene wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm
What's the plan?
Actually, yes, that would be A Good Thing. You could even say it's his fucking job

He could tweet a link to our standard pandemic plan, or recommend standard practices, or cite his own team's advice, etc.

It is sad and embarrassing that he talks like an idiot.
All he can do is authorize the people entrusted for this work to do their jobs. He should not constrain them with executive branch remarks that could hamper their ability to make good decisions.

This cuts both ways. He could help a heap by keeping his Twitter finger out of the whole issue. "I have capable people working on this issue. I welcome constructive feedback from both parties".

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

No comment on Major Gabbard, Nafod?

She has a decent chance of beating Trump in debates. Might even win the Presidency.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:01 am No comment on Major Gabbard, Nafod?
Just that she has zero chance of getting the Dem nomination. Right or wrong.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:43 am
Gene wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:01 am No comment on Major Gabbard, Nafod?
Just that she has zero chance of getting the Dem nomination. Right or wrong.
I confess I haven't researched her but I don't see why she gets zero traction amongst Dems. Woman...young...person of color...gets an "F" from NRA, pro abortion, well spoken, and seems doctrinaire liberal on most things. Would be much better one-on-one against Trump than the doltish hair sniffer. Yet, crickets for the most part.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

When you’re beloved by white nationalists, holocaust deniers, Steve Bannon, Russian state media, and have mysterious finances, it arouses suspicion.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Just because fringe lunatics agree with some planks of her platform does not equal her support of their agenda. The issues they agree with her on are issues nearly every single person with a pulse would agree on - get the US out of these wars and spend that money here.
And when you call out the military industrial complex that has this nation by the balls and start talking about the endless wars they promote so they can siphon trillions of our dollars away from the U.S. citizens that could be used to help our people here, the deep state knives come out. And their puppet media relay the exact message they've been told to relay - Russia, Russia, Russia.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:17 am When you’re beloved by white nationalists, holocaust deniers, Steve Bannon, Russian state media, and have mysterious finances, it arouses suspicion.
The Russians probably like her because she wants to get NATO off of their door step. It's called "self interest". Same impulse that got Russian speaking Crimeans to vote for union with Russia rather than accept punishment from Oligarch financed goon squads like Pravi Sektor or the Azovi Brigade.

The term "White Nationalist" is a feeble attempt to call conservatism race based. It's a snowflake term, Nafod. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a person who identifies as former military and current academic is above such juvenile shit.

I'm not a Tulsi fan boy. She's pretty. She might evolve above Hawaii politics.

At least she would stop this asinine War on Terror. We should call it the War for Terror. More terrorists today than when we started.

I agree that she's going nowhere. Wall Street wants its guaranteed profit centers. The Elites want to sit around in their Social Clubs and Golf Courses confident that the money will come rolling in. If rural boys and girls come home in boxes or banged up, what of it?

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:23 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:17 am When you’re beloved by white nationalists, holocaust deniers, Steve Bannon, Russian state media, and have mysterious finances, it arouses suspicion.
The term "White Nationalist" is a feeble attempt to call conservatism race based. It's a snowflake term, Nafod. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a person who identifies as former military and current academic is above such juvenile shit.
Uhhh, you quoted Spells, not me.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Gene wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:23 pm
Uhhh, you quoted Spells, not me.

Sorry, Nafod. I should have figured that you were above such snowflake shit.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Not sure if Gene is:
1. Unaware Tulsi is popular on Stormfont, and her popularity there gets covered elsewhere, or
2. aware of 1, but objects to Stormfront being referred to as white nationalist, while also using the term snowflake without irony.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:21 pm Not sure if Gene is:
1. Unaware Tulsi is popular on Stormfont, and her popularity there gets covered elsewhere, or
2. aware of 1, but objects to Stormfront being referred to as white nationalist, while also using the term snowflake without irony.
I stopped paying attention to accusations of Russian connivance a long time ago. I don't know much about Stormfront at all but if they support a doctrinaire liberal woman of color I'd suspect that they're trolling.

If the Dems want to nominate a modern Menshevik or a hair sniffing dotard over her it's OK with me. They're all just slightly different flavors of the same sauce anyway. Bernie is the most pungent tho.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It's weird to see health warnings from the CDC about 60+ year olds avoiding air travel and thinking holy shit, that's (almost) me. 59 and a half. In the high risk age group, adjacent.