Character Strengths

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Character Strengths

Post by Bram »

So, I took this survey last week:

https://www.viacharacter.org

It told me, among other things, that I scored very low on bravery.

I thought about it, and figured I should pay attention to moments where I want to say something, but wimp out.

----

This week, I had a new personal training client, who, after a few sessions, tried to coerce me into a lower rate (I charge a decently high amount, but reasonable) and I stood my ground. After 5 days he acquiesced and we will continue to train at the regular price.

Today, with my cousin, whom I love deeply, and who almost certainly has been battling severe depression for 5+ years....and no one wants to address it....I refused to back down about it, and he said he is willing to see a general practitioner after next week if he doesn't improve.

I'm proud of both of these situations, but I would not have dug deep without taking the test, and seeing my natural flaws.

I have no clue if you will benefit from this test, but I share it in the hopes that you will :heart:
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Re: Character Strengths

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Interesting test.

Finding a weakness and working on it, so simple and useful. Great to hear of your quick results.

Tests like this can help us realize that we're not using all the tools in the toolbox because we rely on the comfortable and familiar tool that's worked well in the past.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks!

I plan to retake it again in a few months and see if my weaknesses have moved around a bit.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Sounds like you also may be more a giver than a taker. Try this book--

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Bram wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:34 am So, I took this survey last week:

https://www.viacharacter.org

It told me, among other things, that I scored very low on bravery.

I thought about it, and figured I should pay attention to moments where I want to say something, but wimp out.

----

This week, I had a new personal training client, who, after a few sessions, tried to coerce me into a lower rate (I charge a decently high amount, but reasonable) and I stood my ground. After 5 days he acquiesced and we will continue to train at the regular price.

Today, with my cousin, whom I love deeply, and who almost certainly has been battling severe depression for 5+ years....and no one wants to address it....I refused to back down about it, and he said he is willing to see a general practitioner after next week if he doesn't improve.

I'm proud of both of these situations, but I would not have dug deep without taking the test, and seeing my natural flaws.

I have no clue if you will benefit from this test, but I share it in the hopes that you will :heart:
Good job on both situations. I find the 2nd one much harder since it's someone I care about. As to the first case with the new client, you'll find this much easier when it happens again. Kind of like facing up to a bully for the first time.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Hebrew Hammer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm Sounds like you also may be more a giver than a taker. Try this book--
Thanks for the book recommendation HH, ordered it just now. Good to see you posting again :)

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks for the support, Dik!

I do hope my cousin goes forward with mental health care, as he's extremely resistant to it. Part of it is his father believes the mental health field is a hoax, and all his son needs to do is to get some motivation.

I sent the parents some information on depression - both in it's causes and that it is very treatable, when people seek treatment.

Will keep applying pressure and love, and wish for the best.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

A little follow-up on my experience with the PT client.

Today was our first workout since we had the disagreement about price.

I was a bit curious to see if it would change the energy between us for better or worse. It was a fantastic workout, and he was very complimentary of my training.

Definitely a win!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

People only appreciate things they pay for. I learned that a long time ago teaching jiu-jitsu.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

When I used to perform I learned to never give a discount on price. People see it as weakness and won't be respectful.