UFC 254

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

UFC 254

Post by Sangoma »

Khabib against Gaethjie. The rest of the main card is just as good.
Attachments
20201023_090029.jpg
20201023_090029.jpg (234.02 KiB) Viewed 4289 times

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: UFC 254

Post by Fat Cat »

Well don't stop there, tell us who you like for the matchups. I gotta say, I haven't watched a UFC in a while.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Why is UFC less entertaining? I feel like something's been lost. For a while I felt like the 10 dudes who are all basically Luke Rockhold was less interesting, but the absence of true murderers like A. Silva that aren't Jon Jones is maybe part of it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

G will starch him. Khabib has never faced a real wrestler(division has been devoid of real wrestlers for years) and his takedowns are rudimentary. Other Lightweights from the past eras who Khabib would never be able to take down and thus lose to: Sherk, prime Edgar, prime Ben Henderson, Prime Gray Maynard, probably more I’m forgetting. Today, even though other dudes might beat Michael Chandler, Khabib wouldn’t be able to take him down and thus would be KO’d by him.

I’m hoping Khabib can pull it off so we can maybe see a super fight with GSP, but I doubt it.
Last edited by Herv100 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

I don’t watch much UFC any more, but from what I see the rest of the card looks like ass.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 am Why is UFC less entertaining? I feel like something's been lost. For a while I felt like the 10 dudes who are all basically Luke Rockhold was less interesting, but the absence of true murderers like A. Silva that aren't Jon Jones is maybe part of it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Herv100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:15 pm G will starch him. Khabib has never faced a real wrestler(division has been devoid of real wrestlers for years) and his takedowns are rudimentary. Other Lightweights from the past eras who Khabib would never be able to take down and thus lose to: Sherk, prime Edgar, prime Ben Henderson, Prime Gray Maynard, probably more I’m forgetting. Today, even though other dudes might beat Michael Chandler, Khabib wouldn’t be able to take him down and thus would be KO’d by him.

I’m hoping Khabib can pull it off so we can maybe see a super fight with GSP, but I doubt it.
Interesting. I may actually download that fight now. Despite being a goat fucking Caucus suicide bomber, I can't help but like the 'Beeb. He's sincere and he's got that smashing style I like.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:34 pm
Herv100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:15 pm G will starch him. Khabib has never faced a real wrestler(division has been devoid of real wrestlers for years) and his takedowns are rudimentary. Other Lightweights from the past eras who Khabib would never be able to take down and thus lose to: Sherk, prime Edgar, prime Ben Henderson, Prime Gray Maynard, probably more I’m forgetting. Today, even though other dudes might beat Michael Chandler, Khabib wouldn’t be able to take him down and thus would be KO’d by him.

Interesting. I may actually download that fight now. Despite being a goat fucking Caucus suicide bomber, I can't help but like the 'Beeb. He's sincere and he's got that smashing style I like.
He’s definitely a beast

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Watching him grapplefuck that pikey bog hopper McGregor pregnant was a special moment for me.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:52 pm Watching him grapplefuck that pikey bog hopper McGregor pregnant was a special moment for me.
You should watch the challenger Gaethje’s last fight which is free on YouTube right now. It’s pretty good. The guy he beat, Ferguson, has a ridiculous chin. Ferguson is a beast too and everyone raves about him but I personally think his style is slop-tastic. Effective I guess.

What sucks is is UFC 254 is at 1 pm.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ya I have never seen Gaethje (HTF do you pronounce that name?) fight at all, no idea what to expect but I have seen Ferg and he's excellent if unorthodox. Who was Gaethje's last fight with?

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

With Ferg, on YouTube now

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Oh, duh. Sorry I should have read more carefully.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Strangely enough, despite of Gaethjie being a champion wrestler his grappling in the octagon is less than impressive. There are more than a few youtube clips dissecting it. I think Khabib will go his traditional MO: take the back, maul him like a pitbull, submit.

Gaethjie is a good puncher, and there is a chance he will knock Khabib out. However, this was the theme before McGregor's fight, and it was a big surprise when Mr.Quickhands was put on his ass in the second round by a supposed grappler. Khabib's punching is top class.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

^^^The Russo-Mongol is aroused at the prospect of violence, as indicated by the venal tilt of the epicanthus.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I watched the Countdown video for this fight, detailing Khabib and Gaethje’s preparation.

Gaethje is a killer with great striking and a competitive wrestling background, but I think he will lose.

The problem with Khabib is he has a grappling style that defies normal categories. He can slam and chain takedowns like other high level wrestlers, but where he is unique is in the space between wrestling and jiu-jitsu.

He has very particular moves to prevent escapes once he has a hold of you. For example, he crosses his opponents legs then sits on them and they get stuck.

It’s a style, I believe, that you have to decipher how to counter and I don’t see Gaethje or his coaches deciphering it.

Gaethje may create scrambles, and stuff takedowns, but I don’t see him beating this part of Khabib’s game.

Fat, definitely watch Gaethje fight or a highlight, he’s a walking highlight reel

[youtube] http://youtu.be/Y2pXWVG7-K8 [/youtube]
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Sangoma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:25 amGaethjie is a good puncher, and there is a chance he will knock Khabib out. However, this was the theme before McGregor's fight, and it was a big surprise when Mr.Quickhands was put on his ass in the second round by a supposed grappler. Khabib's punching is top class.
Here boxing coach discussing Khabib's boxing and came to conclusion that it is very good :) footwork...etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOpXGQDPkc

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Well, so much for the amazing striking skills. Khabib was on level with him, and the takedown leading to that exceptionally executed triangle - which Gaethjie clearly didn't see coming - that takedown was poetry.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

And yes, the Russian-Mongol-Tatar-Osetian-and-what-not in me rejoices at the observed violence. And my canthus (both of them), epicanthus (and my cunt) are very animated right now.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Welp, my prediction was wrong. Heard it was over quick, reminding me why I don’t ever order fights anymore. Good for Khabib. Would be cool to see him in some kind of super fight at some point.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

My guess is that he's really done. Something about giving his mother his word about this being his last fight.

Given how many interesting fighters are coming from The Caucasus, Kazakhstan etc., it's only a matter of time till we get the Mongolians in the octagon.
3594.jpg
3594.jpg (40.49 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Last edited by baffled on Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Herv100 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:13 pm Welp, my prediction was wrong. Heard it was over quick, reminding me why I don’t ever order fights anymore. Good for Khabib. Would be cool to see him in some kind of super fight at some point.
Unexpected result. I thought it's going to go the distance or almost. Gaethjie landed a few punches that count. It must feel horrible, knowing your opponent's game, exactly, preparing but falling victim to it anyway.

Compared to other finishes this one was merciful. Also, the ref missed Gaethjie's several attempts of tapping and let him go limp.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:04 pm And yes, the Russian-Mongol-Tatar-Osetian-and-what-not in me rejoices at the observed violence. And my canthus (both of them), epicanthus (and my cunt) are very animated right now.
Quoted for posterity. I did not watch the fights but I am glad 'Beeb pulled out the W, he's a stud and gets to go out with a perfect record (for now). I hadn't heard that his father had died or that he was planning on retiring, but he's carved out his mark on MMA.