Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Wu Flu

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Turdacious wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:07 amWe have enough N95s for medical use, but not close to enough for non-medical use.
I am finding plenty of N95s for my elderly relatives' non-medical use, as well as my own. The supply chain is why CDC/WHO/LOL is recommending cloth masks, and is why N95s are readily available. With the new strain out I'd certainly tell anyone to get themselves some NIOSH stuff.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 am
Turdacious wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:07 amWe have enough N95s for medical use, but not close to enough for non-medical use.
I am finding plenty of N95s for my elderly relatives' non-medical use, as well as my own. The supply chain is why CDC/WHO/LOL is recommending cloth masks, and is why N95s are readily available. With the new strain out I'd certainly tell anyone to get themselves some NIOSH stuff.
Hopefully they are savvy enough to tell the fakes from the real stuff. That’s not a task everyone will be up to.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

A friend just lost her brother-in-law, an ER doctor who got it treating patients, a man in his early 50's.

He died last night.

Be careful please. :heart:
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Sorry to hear that, Bram
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thank you, Nafod.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I got the first round of the vaccine today, as an EMS provider. Hoping it gives me a super power.

Comes with a free tracking chip too!

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

nafod wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm I got the first round of the vaccine today, as an EMS provider. Hoping it gives me a super power.

What brand? How are you feeling? I'm in healthcare (but not frontline). Some (but by no means all) of my colleagues that have received it said it gave them flu-like symptoms for a couple of days and super sore bicep near injection point. Not laying them out on their back symptoms, but just felt not great for a few days.

What a cluster fuck this vaccine administration is. I'm thinking lower priority folks aren't going to get it until July/August.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

lasalle wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm
nafod wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm I got the first round of the vaccine today, as an EMS provider. Hoping it gives me a super power.

What brand? How are you feeling?
Pfizer. Maybe a sore arm? Not even worth mentioning. I went on a 3 mile hike following. Let you know if I feel like crap tomorrow.
I'm in healthcare (but not frontline). Some (but by no means all) of my colleagues that have received it said it gave them flu-like symptoms for a couple of days and super sore bicep near injection point. Not laying them out on their back symptoms, but just felt not great for a few days.

What a cluster fuck this vaccine administration is. I'm thinking lower priority folks aren't going to get it until July/August.
I'm hoping the single shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be out soon.

As far as getting signed up for the shot, it was a helter-skelter unorganized process. I talked to someone from a northern county who said they could get it up there, and then talked to someone from down south who got it, thought WTF, I'm just as qualified, and went looking for how to get it here. I got on a waitlist via the internet at our local hospital after getting a formal read that I qualified, then through the Geisinger system signed up for one and hour away, then got called by the local one and said I had a slot. It took wiliness and internet access to get one. So what happens to people out there that fall in the qualified pool but are just waiting for someone to call them? Don't have a smartphone?

My parents live in Colorado, so I checked on them. They were waiting for someone to call them. I got on-line and got them signed up and in the queue.

It pays to be proactive.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

My parents both got their first round of Phizer a week and a half ago. They'll get the follow up either late this coming week or next. Zero side effects from the first round.

I know a few people online who have gotten both doses. Most say there were no side effects but a worse sore arm after the second, a few said they felt a little achy all over. All said that lasted less than a day, maybe a few hours. These were all Phizer vaccines as well. I don't know anyone who has gotten the Moderna yet.

I'm just hoping we can get enough vaccines rolled out in enough doses to stop this thing before it mutates enough for the vaccines to be ineffective. A million a day in the US isn't going to to that. We need 5-10 million a day.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I had Moderna. Sore arm, fever at about 30 hr mark. Felt normal by 72hr.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Schlegel wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm I had Moderna. Sore arm, fever at about 30 hr mark. Felt normal by 72hr.
Just the first one?

I've heard there is more of a reaction from the second.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Get the 2nd in feb.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Bram wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51 pm A friend just lost her brother-in-law, an ER doctor who got it treating patients, a man in his early 50's.

He died last night.

Be careful please. :heart:
So sorry, man.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

nafod wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:33 pm
lasalle wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm

What brand? How are you feeling?
Pfizer. Maybe a sore arm? Not even worth mentioning. I went on a 3 mile hike following. Let you know if I feel like crap tomorrow.
I'm in healthcare (but not frontline). Some (but by no means all) of my colleagues that have received it said it gave them flu-like symptoms for a couple of days and super sore bicep near injection point. Not laying them out on their back symptoms, but just felt not great for a few days.

I'm hoping the single shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be out soon.

As far as getting signed up for the shot, it was a helter-skelter unorganized process. I talked to someone from a northern county who said they could get it up there, and then talked to someone from down south who got it, thought WTF, I'm just as qualified, and went looking for how to get it here. I got on a waitlist via the internet at our local hospital after getting a formal read that I qualified, then through the Geisinger system signed up for one and hour away, then got called by the local one and said I had a slot. It took wiliness and internet access to get one. So what happens to people out there that fall in the qualified pool but are just waiting for someone to call them? Don't have a smartphone?

My parents live in Colorado, so I checked on them. They were waiting for someone to call them. I got on-line and got them signed up and in the queue.

It pays to be proactive.
Geisinger. You're in PA? Tell us about all of the voter fraud you witnessed...

That J&J vaccine can't get here fast enough. I don't think we'll have news of the results of their clinical trials for a few more weeks. The beauty of that one is they've been in production on it with the assumption they'll get approved. So, hopefully getting to market quickly.

Just like your folks, my mother-in law was convinced someone would be calling her to tell her they were ready for her and had an appointment saved. I think I really burst her bubble-she (and we) are going to need to camp out on the phone and local provider website looking for shipments and appointment availability.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

New York state application for vaccine for over 75 group is apparently a 42 step online application with multiple required document uploads.

Good job Cuomo. Really taking the target population into account there.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Schlegel wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm I had Moderna. Sore arm, fever at about 30 hr mark. Felt normal by 72hr.
Moderna. Fine the day of. Next day, arm got progressively so sore that the pressure of a shirt hurt it and sleeping was hard. That and a general feeling of heaviness in the head and lethargic. Minor trouble breathing.

Third day back to normal.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

newguy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 pm
Moderna. Fine the day of. Next day, arm got progressively so sore that the pressure of a shirt hurt it and sleeping was hard. That and a general feeling of heaviness in the head and lethargic. Minor trouble breathing.

Third day back to normal.
Nothing the next day with Pfizer. Although I can see through walls now, and telekinetically make the TV remote come to my hands.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

What, are you guys old? Or gay? Old and gay? How come you get the vaccine before grandma?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:59 pm What, are you guys old? Or gay? Old and gay? How come you get the vaccine before grandma?
EMS provider

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:17 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:59 pm What, are you guys old? Or gay? Old and gay? How come you get the vaccine before grandma?
EMS provider
Old, gay, nurse. It checks out!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:53 pm My parents both got their first round of Phizer a week and a half ago. They'll get the follow up either late this coming week or next. Zero side effects from the first round.
Typical results among the healthcare folks seem to be zero side effects for 1, but the 2nd is a little tough. Something like 1/8 avoid side-effects.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

Oddly enough, the first one knocked my 30-something boss on his ass. He's an army reservist, so I guess it had an secret Anthrax booster or something..?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:53 pm My parents both got their first round of Phizer a week and a half ago. They'll get the follow up either late this coming week or next. Zero side effects from the first round.
Typical results among the healthcare folks seem to be zero side effects for 1, but the 2nd is a little tough. Something like 1/8 avoid side-effects.
That's the experience of my elderly neighbor. She's an optometrist and was in the first round of vaccinations. My parents have also received the first dose without issue, but haven't had their second.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm
nafod wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:17 pm
EMS provider
Old, gay, nurse. It checks out!
Don’t put up with this nafod. Tell him he got the order wrong.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Nurse deeze nuts!