If you go to the gym...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: If you go to the gym...

Post by Fat Cat »

Are you one of them fat and happy types? I'm not shredded but i don't make excuses for it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

syaigh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pmYou don't need a six-pack, you just need to be able to carry your own weight with ease.
I agree wholeheartedly. This is where fat acceptance movement misses its mark. For me, the best assessment of a patient's functional status in the operating room is to watch them getting from the bed to the operating table. Some fat folks make it in one move, while others may take a full minute to do it, truly suffering through the process. Comes back to fat and fit adage.

In my registrar years in South Africa we had Prof. Cronje, a cardiac surgeon. Fat guy, but he was a squash player. Once there was an alarm, and we had to run up to the fifth floor. I was pretty untfit at the time and was dizzy by the time I got there, Cronje wasn't even winded.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:03 pm Are you one of them fat and happy types? I'm not shredded but i don't make excuses for it.
I am absolutely on the thicc and powerful range of the scale.

Being fat is nothing to be happy about and with some simple lifestyle changes no one should be fat. It's not rocket science to make some healthy food choices and move.

One thing I have going for me is that I have never needed to be motivated to move. I love exercising, training, moving. What I don't have going for me is I eat and I eat well. My dietary choices are actually really good right now.

All that being said, Brother Cat, how are you not shredded? Because if you are not, then this just proves my point, which I admit I'm not sure what the point is.

You lift four times a week. You do 40 minute assault bike rides like 3, 4 times a week. You are constantly doing multiple hour hikes and walks.

If you aren't shredded, there is no hope for me.

Maybe it is a topic for a different thread, but seriously. What gives? And I say that with absolute respect and curiosity for my own path forward.

I don't see you as the type whose diet is completely out of wack. I am pretty sure you are not fat at all.

What changes do you think you would need to make to get to the shredded level?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

newguy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:44 am What changes do you think you would need to make to get to the shredded level?
Whiskey is a food group for me.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:01 am
newguy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:44 am What changes do you think you would need to make to get to the shredded level?
Whiskey is a food group for me.
When I was living my best single life I got well over to skinny side living on ground beef and whiskey.

It was great.

For me, that is honestly probably it. Every time I have gone the whole no carb/all meat route, I have drop so much fat that it is honestly strange.

But it's hard as a lifestyle and I just don't have it in me right now.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

There’s a book about a low-carb, moderate-to-high alcohols diet; some consider it the earliest modern example of a low-carb diet manual. The title, appropriately enough, is The Drinking Man’s Diet. I can’t comment on its effectiveness; I avoid hard liquor.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:26 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 am While I know a number of people subscribing to every woke ideology out there, I don't believe the FA movement is real. You have a few mentally ill people out there making a lot of noise, and nobody outside the group publicly supports them. There's no national organization with employees like any other rights group.
You're woke people aren't woke enough.
Gender studies majors, "If you are white you are the beneficiary of an evil system of .zzzzzzz" people I mute on Facebook don't have any time for the fat acceptance crowd, and many of those people are fat.

For any real movement there's at a minimum some grifters starting a organization. This does not exist. Just chubby people on Twitter.
And it is not just female either. There was a male actor. I don't remember who it is, but he got jacked for an upcoming superhero movie. Some Marvel thing I think. He posted a transformation pic. He got a lot of flack and push back from the twitterverse for it. From reverse body shaming to perpetuating dominant male stereotypes, etc. etc. And this wasn't even the fringes.
That's Kumail Nanjiani, and totally different story. Got huge props when he got yoked for a movie, though obviously on PEDs. Then released pics a year later where the HGH was changing the shape of his face and people got weirded out because he facially looks like a different person now.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Spheroid_Physique wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:11 am There’s a book about a low-carb, moderate-to-high alcohols diet; some consider it the earliest modern example of a low-carb diet manual. The title, appropriately enough, is The Drinking Man’s Diet. I can’t comment on its effectiveness; I avoid hard liquor.
I've read it. It's pretty simple actually: eat a balanced diet with <60g carbohydrates per day and enjoy your beverage. I found I function better at about 75g a day, but after that it just makes me fatter with no improvement in performance.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:07 pm
newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:26 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 am While I know a number of people subscribing to every woke ideology out there, I don't believe the FA movement is real. You have a few mentally ill people out there making a lot of noise, and nobody outside the group publicly supports them. There's no national organization with employees like any other rights group.
You're woke people aren't woke enough.
Gender studies majors, "If you are white you are the beneficiary of an evil system of .zzzzzzz" people I mute on Facebook don't have any time for the fat acceptance crowd, and many of those people are fat.

For any real movement there's at a minimum some grifters starting a organization. This does not exist. Just chubby people on Twitter.
And it is not just female either. There was a male actor. I don't remember who it is, but he got jacked for an upcoming superhero movie. Some Marvel thing I think. He posted a transformation pic. He got a lot of flack and push back from the twitterverse for it. From reverse body shaming to perpetuating dominant male stereotypes, etc. etc. And this wasn't even the fringes.
That's Kumail Nanjiani, and totally different story. Got huge props when he got yoked for a movie, though obviously on PEDs. Then released pics a year later where the HGH was changing the shape of his face and people got weirded out because he facially looks like a different person now.
I think you're generally on the right track about a variety of fat acceptance/woke hotep/trans rights weirdness with one caveat. While the actual numbers they represent are very low and informal, it's obvious that third parties amplify their voices to skew perceptions of them.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:17 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm Image

This is what early post-contact Aborigines looked like, as a frame of reference. They look powerful but not thicc.
Too little body fat. Not enough calories to support true power.

Clearly I am being a bit facetious here.

But, I do think it is very possible to do a lot of things right in terms of diet and exercise, and not be shredded. Healthy, fit, attractive. But not shredded. Being shredded for a lot of bodies takes an extra level of effort and for some, that contest level of dieting is not healthy or sustainable.
Speak for yourself. \:D/

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Mickey O'neil wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:19 pm

This is what early post-contact Aborigines looked like, as a frame of reference. They look powerful but not thicc.

But, I do think it is very possible to do a lot of things right in terms of diet and exercise, and not be shredded. Healthy, fit, attractive. But not shredded. Being shredded for a lot of bodies takes an extra level of effort and for some, that contest level of dieting is not healthy or sustainable.
Speak for yourself. \:D/ Well, not contest level, but I stay pretty lean. It is a lot of work, admittedly.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Lucky bastard. I bet your abs are all veiny and shit.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

newguy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Lucky bastard. I bet your abs are all veiny and shit.
Not quite. About like the aborigines in Fat's first photo. Maybe a tad more definition in the abs when I've been particular strict with diet.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd »

Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Love me a good troll.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar